ice line

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

I know this has been discussed in the past, but there is new stuff coming out all the time. What kind of line do you guy prefer when fishing pan fish though the ice?

Rope
    Kansas

Pline Floroice.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I’m going to try three different lines on my panfish rods. I’m always looking for the perfect fit.

All three will be 2lb test….

Lindy Copolymer Ice Line:
    http://www.lindyfishingtackle.com/productdetail.aspx?id=lindyiceline

Berkey Trilene Fluorocarbon Ice:
    http://www.berkley-fishing.com/products/line/fluorocarbon/trilene-100-fluorocarbon-ice

And of course my old standby
    Suffix Ice Magic:
    http://www.rapala.com/Ice-Magic/Ice%20Magic,default,pd.html?start=3&cgid=sufix-monofilament

BBKK
    IA

Sufix ice magic in 3lb.

shockers
    Rochester

I’m curious about the Berkley 100 percent fluorocarbon. Just put that on a couple of ice rods (3 lb). I tried Suffix last year and wasn’t a big fan. Just personal preference I guess.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I like Stren’s high vis gold along with Northland’s Flurosilk.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Sufix Ice Magic for me, usaully 2lb

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

don’t fish panfish much other than perch but was wondering how the Suffix ice magic works for walleye in the 6-8 # size

broman

I received some free Lindy line from the St Paul ice fishing show a few years ago. The most brittle easily breakable stuff I have ever seen. I could grab the line and give it a little yank and could break it every time. Lost 2 walleyes on Red last year.

P-Line from here out.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Last year I used Vicious Ice line in the 3# without any problems. I also pulled up at 37″ pike on 6# Vicious ice. granted you are not going to horse them in but you can get away with lighter line. During clearance last year I got a lot of Fireline Fused Micro Ice Crystal (Recommended by a Friend) for cheaper then I could buy Copolymer at regular price. So that is what I am giving a go this year. If I don’t like it by time the local ice fishing series starts I will probably go back to Vicious on some and a Flurorcarbon on others.

FishinPaul
    Eau Claire, WI

2 pound Cortland hi-vis line is my 1st choice. I also like Berkley micro ice line,gray, 2 or 3 pound when the pannies get fussy.

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I bought the Fireline fused crystal stuff too last year, didn’t work for me at all. First of all it is not very transparent when compared to mono’s and it also freezes up in the cold weather.

zooks

Quote:

Gamma ESP 2lb

X2, though I might try the Pline this year just for the 3lb test. If Gamma made a 3lb test ice line, that would be the one for me. FYI – I haven’t found Gamma in retail stores for awhile and have purchased direct, very fast shipping too.

https://blackknightindustries.com/Home.aspx

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

2# and 3# Suffix Ice Magic gets the nod for me…

It has worked great !!!

When you coming over again Steve ?

Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

Soon as the ice is good and the fish are biting. You let me know and I will make it happen.

BullsNeyes
    Rochester, MN

Gamma ESP ice 2 lb. X2

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I’ve used P-Line and Berkley Ice but last year I tried ASSO and thought it was the best I’ve used. Going with that this year again. It’s on sale right now at Your Bobbers Down.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Quote:

I’ve used P-Line and Berkley Ice but last year I tried ASSO and thought it was the best I’ve used. Going with that this year again. It’s on sale right now at Your Bobbers Down.

Which Asso line do you use?

Is Gamma a Copolymer?

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

I use the Asso Ice Heavy. It’s a fluorocarbon and I use the brown color. And I also used the Asso Super Fluorocarbon last year in the clear. All 3# test

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Glenn, how is the ASSO line for line memory? In the past with fluoro I have had trouble with memory but love its sensitivity. Also this fluoro comes in color, the first I’ve seen of a high vis fluoro line.

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

Does anyone euse different line for changes in depth or presentation?

turkeynate
    Iowa

Suffix 832 ice braid. If you like braids you should give it a shot!

clintradtke

Quote:

Suffix 832 ice braid. If you like braids you should give it a shot!

All my walleye rods are spooled with this.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Quote:

Glenn, how is the ASSO line for line memory? In the past with fluoro I have had trouble with memory but love its sensitivity. Also this fluoro comes in color, the first I’ve seen of a high vis fluoro line.

Fanatic I have not had any memory issues at all with the Asso line. Probably one of the reasons I like it so much. I have gotten a Black Betty 6061 to try this year to see if I can get a little relief from the twisting that my spinning reels give me so we’ll see. I do run a couple Okuma’s on my shallower panfish rods and they really don’t twist at all. I run the 3# Asso on all of them.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.