St Croix ice rods

• chirp
    Rochester

Anybody using the St Croix ice rods? Prices don’t look to bad. Just wondering everybody’s thoughts. TIA.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I was looking at them at FF Friday night. I bought two of the Fenwick Elite Techs. They seem like a pretty good rod for $26.99. Anybody use them?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’ve broken at least a dozen of them very brittle, but a good ice rod for the money.

BBKK
    IA

I have. They were decent, one of the best mass made rods.

But my suggestion is to save your money the next couple weeks and buy a tuned up custom rod (TUCR). Blows any store bought rod out the window.

chirp
    Rochester

I have the TUCR. Like them. This is for a Christmas present. Don’t know if I want to spend quite that much.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

They would be a great Xmas present.

I have 2 and for the $ they are a decent rod.

Think i picked mine up for around $20 each

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Anybody using the St Croix ice rods? Prices don’t look to bad. Just wondering everybody’s thoughts. TIA.

I have used the StCroix ice rods blanks for years to build my own ice rods and I have had only one customer break a rod,tho I personally have NEVER had any breakage/issues with them.

BTW.. my blanks were all the solid carbon blanks.

BBKK
    IA

They would be a very good present!!!

When can I expect it to arrive?

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

I bought 2 a few years back,both broke before the season was over.
    I am not a hard core ice fisherman, but I would buy something else.

dld24

Look at 13 fishing rods…I have the wicked series and they are awesome

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

How are the reels that come with the combo?

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

Hey Chirp, sorry about the Fenwick question, wasn’t trying to hijack the thread!

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Great value rod I believe. What I bought as a poor college kid when I first got into ice fishing. Great xmas present. The only one I broke was the one I that got stuck in the seam on my rod locker when I closed it. But it was easy to replace for $25. I have two of the reels that come on the combos that I still use. Decent product. I switched them over to my perch rods so I have a better reel/drag system on my walleye rods. Have one fenwick elite tech rod also. Use it as my walleye dead stick. Also a great value option.

chirp
    Rochester

belle, no problem. Just trying to get an idea for some presents that aren’t going to break the bank. Open to other idea’s also.

tmyboy2001
    Lakeville, MN

Since you’re at FF, you may also want to check into the Pflueger combos. Before I started buying my TUCRs, I had five of the Pflueger combos. Decent rods and reels for under $35. Never had an issue with them

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

Quote:

belle, no problem. Just trying to get an idea for some presents that aren’t going to break the bank. Open to other idea’s also.

Did you check out the Fenwicks I mentioned? They seem pretty nice for the money. I put a Pflueger President Micro on it and seems like a pretty good setup for $77

eyesfishin
    Somerset, WI

Before I bought my DH custom ice rods. I used cabelas XML ice rods. I had 2 St. Croix premiers which were fine too but I liked the handles on cabelas rods better. Worth a look anyway.

dld24

Quote:

Quote:

How are the reels that come with the combo?

The reels are pretty good, I would compare them to almost a Sienna

tr
    Plymouth

I have several of them and love them, trying to justify the ones with the spring tips for the pan fish. cant say enough about the rods and the customer service if you have a problem.

Good luck fishing.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

I’m not sure if this would interest you for a gift idea but I have been looking at getting a Jason Mitchell Elite Series Meat Stick for myself. I think the price looks good but I have never fished with one.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

As far as inexpensive rods: Fenwick makes a nice rod. I prefer their walleye sized rods. For panfish I bought two different rods last year and both are nice. Wicked Ice and JR’s tackle. I would rather spend my money on a quality reel. I have Croix rods from years past and still have them all. Never broke one.

frezerfisher

You can not buy a better quality rod and the service is great.

icemandan39
    Syracuse, NY

I have 6 St Croix ice rods. L, ML, Med action. Have only had one break but it was my issue not a problem with the rod. My combo is the SC rod with a Pfleuger or Okuma reel. Can usually find a nicely priced combo like that on FISH USA.

frezerfisher

I am St Croix nuts,BUT last week I got to handle a ugly stick light and I was impressed,2lb. to 6lb. in the 26in.Well I bought it,going to put one of my Frabill reels on with some 3lb test. Just what I need,another ice rod. Now I need some ice. (Fatfish) Jerry

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.