Eagle claw inline

• dld24

I got my new EC inline reel and I have only used spinning reels in my life, are there any special ways to spool these up?? And is the drag supposed to make noise or not. I can’t wait to try this out this winter….Thanks for any info

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Spool it like a vhs or casset tape. There is a clicker you can turn on or off. Personaly annoying noise i do not need to here. enjoy.

dld24

Ya I found a link for it as soon as I opened the package, pretty easy to do…Thanks

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have 3 and spool them all with old tip up line for backing and tie my fluoro leader right to that.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Fill 1/2 spool with electric tape and tie on to that. Same as many of us do our spinning reels. You can tie braid right to that and it won’t spool slip. If you run mono or Fluro tie right on also.

frezerfisher

I love mine.Before you fish with this exquisite piece of machinery.Just practice with it. Sounds stupid but do this.Learn to use it,that is what I did. Never used a spinning reel again.Learn to set the drag. The pushbutton on the side,and how nice it is to fish with. I just use some backing,from one of my soft water reels. I use 3 and 4 lb test,but I am sure that you can use heaver weight line. Jerry

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Fill 1/2 spool with electric tape and tie on to that. Same as many of us do our spinning reels. You can tie braid right to that and it won’t spool slip. If you run mono or Fluro tie right on also.

frezerfisher

I love mine.Before you fish with this exquisite piece of machinery.Just practice with it. Sounds stupid but do this.Learn to use it,that is what I did. Never used a spinning reel again.Learn to set the drag. The pushbutton on the side,and how nice it is to fish with. I just use some backing,from one of my soft water reels. I use 3 and 4 lb test,but I am sure that you can use heaver weight line. Jerry

dld24

Do you guys take the spool off and hand wrap the line on or leave it on and through the guides like a spinning reel?? I ask cause if I spool it through the guides wont all the line be just on one side of the reel, since the spool doesn’t move back and forth like a spinning reel????Might be a dumb question haha

BBKK
    IA

Use your fingers to guide it on the best you can, doesn’t have to be perfect.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Yep, same way I do it!

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Use your fingers to guide it on the best you can, doesn’t have to be perfect.

X2

wanderlust

why do you feel that y0u need backing? y9our not casting and the line comes straight out, not over a lip

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

You need some sort backing on your EC inline reel to increase the diameter of the spool so when reel in your line you are getting more inches of line per crank = faster retrieval. And you are saving money by not putting as much fluoro or mono on your spool. you do not need to put the entire spool of 75yrds of line on your reel for ice fishing.

Why not rig up 2-3 reels per spool of ice line instead of just one?

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

why do you feel that y0u need backing? y9our not casting and the line comes straight out, not over a lip

You do need backing, absolutely. Otherwise your line pick-up is going to be very small and your line will have a ton of memory.

wanderlust

hmmm, ill have to do some circumference calculating to see the difference i guess. why the f would’t the manufactures just make the spool larger? do they sell line too? i think i smell a conspiracy

curleytail

I don’t think there’s a conspiracy… I put backing on every reel I own. Musky baitcasters, walleye spinning reels, panfish and walleye ice reels… The capacity is there in case some choose to add a lot of line, but only makes sense to not use a full spool if you only fish 40 feet deep.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

After one season with my ECI reel I’m still not sold. I ended up using spinning reels more by the end of last season. I don’t know if its muscle memory or what but I can manipulate a spinning reel much better. I’ll give it another fair shot this season.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

After one season with my ECI reel I’m still not sold. I ended up using spinning reels more by the end of last season. I don’t know if its muscle memory or what but I can manipulate a spinning reel much better. I’ll give it another fair shot this season.

It seems to be a black /white issue with very little gray. I personally only have spinners on my dead stick setups, ECI’s on all my jigging poles. The free spool speed IMO can not be compared to the drop speed of a spinning real. The only way you could be faster than the inlines would be to drop your jig down with no line attached.( JMO). Less chance for line twist. And the ECI can handle big fish with no problem. I did work on the drag system to smoothen it out a bit.

BBKK
    IA

How does the freespool work with say 2-3lb mono and 1/100 jig heads and #12-14 teardrops?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I don’t find it easier or faster to get a tiny teardrop down with inline. You have to constantly fight backlash when trying to get the line out fast and in the end your just putting coils of line in the hole waiting for it to sink. I can do that faster with spinning. Since I only use my inline for Gil fishing I have no experience with heavier presentations. I see the inline advantage of no line twist but as far as sending line in/out I would rather have a spinning reel. At least that’s my opinion today. I will be using mine more this winter and may develop a greater fondness for it. I love the rod I have it on.

broman

Quote:

I don’t find it easier or faster to get a tiny teardrop down with inline. You have to constantly fight backlash when trying to get the line out fast and in the end your just putting coils of line in the hole waiting for it to sink. I can do that faster with spinning. Since I only use my inline for Gil fishing I have no experience with heavier presentations. I see the inline advantage of no line twist but as far as sending line in/out I would rather have a spinning reel. At least that’s my opinion today. I will be using mine more this winter and may develop a greater fondness for it. I love the rod I have it on.

I used the Black Betty 6061 and experienced the opposite. The smallest lure flies down the hole. Yes, you can get backlash if you don’t stop it before it hits the bottom. But it only happened to me one. That being said, I only used my reel inside a heated shack. Outside I stick with normal open face.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Free spool works awesome on lite Fluro and tiny lite jigs. I run plastic hand pours on a 1/100 oz trout head with lite Fluro. The free spool when set proper will drop the bait without spinning to the bottom in 20 fow. Granted it won be fast because you just don’t have weight. Not even a comparison to a spinning reel when set up correctly. You can tweak the reels by cleaning them and replacing factory oil/grease with synthetic or ardent reel treatment. I do this with all my reels from every manufacturer.

mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

Quote:

Quote:

It seems to be a black /white issue with very little gray. I personally only have spinners on my dead stick setups, ECI’s on all my jigging poles. The free spool speed IMO can not be compared to the drop speed of a spinning real. The only way you could be faster than the inlines would be to drop your jig down with no line attached.( JMO). Less chance for line twist. And the ECI can handle big fish with no problem. I did work on the drag system to smoothen it out a bit.

Don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I just got the new EC reel, and the dtag is my only complaint. It’s super touchy. I was just wondering how you went about smoothing it out. Feel free to PM me. Thanks.

bronzbak
    Long way from home

Take it apart and add Teflon washers to the pad! I got some at a hardware store. Also did such with the 6061’s I got last year! Works like a charm and really smooths out the drag.

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Quote:

Take it apart and add Teflon washers to the pad! I got some at a hardware store. Also did such with the 6061’s I got last year! Works like a charm and really smooths out the drag.

X-2 Also oil I had a couple that had no lubrication from the factory.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.