597 HD combo on ice

• Tim J
    Duluth, MN

want to take my humminbird off the bow this winter and use the GPS on ice as well as have a back up flasher. Whats the best way to do this? Can’t mount it on the atv I don’t own so just looking to set it up a portable case.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

The dave genz blue box may work???

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

HB makes a portable case for it, includes a charger and other stuff.

Keith Fischer

Been looking at this myself, by the time you buy a Genz box
    and everything you need, cost is pretty close to a wash and
    the Humminbird case is worth the difference in my opinion.

sinister-fishing
    Omaha, Ne for now

Theres a potable pack that includes case battery and charger. The ice transducer is sold separate. I bought the pack for my 596 an love. plan to use my 798 this year

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

Didn’t want to spend to much last year trying your idea so I bought a battery and built the box out of scraps. I would strap it to the front rack on the quad and go. Worked awesome for following the GPS on the fly and glad I didn’t spend the extra on pre made units.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I’ve seen the case online but wondered if it comes with the mounting base? or would I need to buy one to put in it. If not, I would need to buy the case, plus mounting base, plus power cable, transducer. Looking at $200 to make it happen…

Tombat74

I converted my 798HD SI for ice fishing last winter. To do this with your unit you will need to buy the following items:

PTC-U-NB (no battery)
    PTC-U comes with battery

These are the soft cases with the mount and everything is included. assemble and plug your unit onto the mount.

for a transducer you will need an

XI-9-20

These are humminbird part numbers. If you google you can find deals on them online. I purchased mine off ebay.

The only other thing you need to do before you hit the ice is set the unit up so that it will recognize the ice transducer. To do this all you have to do is turn off your simulation mode in the menu and turn on your ice fishing mode. Jason Halfen has a video on youtube to show you how to do it.

I love my unit on the ice the only thing I would change is the shallow water read capability once you get into 10 feet or less of water these units have a high RMS wattage and in shallow water you need to turn your sensitivity way down to be able to read your graph properly. Anything 10ft and deeper though. Game on!

Best of luck to you this ice fishing season!

Tom

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.