You missed a great day at Thorne Brothers’!

• Ed Stern
    Goodhue, MN, Goodhue County,

Great speakers talked ice fishing, lunch with Dave Genz, my son-in-law winning a StrikeMaster ice auger, me winning lights for my portable, finding some ‘new’ walleye lures……..A stop at White Castle on the way home…Wow! It doesn’t get much better than this!!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Was that the portable ice fishing shelter modification get together? Seen on facebook that they had brought in blocks of ice to demo the new ice augers.

Ed Stern

Yep, it was all & the same. We missed all the hole drilling demos, we were either inside shopping or upstairs at the presentations. With the rain off & on, the blocks of ice looked like every hole was as smooth as a baby’ behind! There weren’t as many portables as i had seen in pictures from other years, but probably still about a dozen. even one pair of Clams that zipped together to make a back-to-back 4 man tent! kind of nifty! They gave away two augers, three portables, a flasher, (no, not a middle aged flasher, like BK!) an underwater camera, and ice fishing rods, light bars for portables, and numerous other ice fishing extras. And I found out many little things to make me almost as good as Chris Granrud! (At least in my own mind!)

chirp
    Rochester

Ed, can’t wait for the invite to get out with you this winter. Sounds like you have all the info we need for a good day on the ice.

bigpike

Sounds like a great time, glad it went so well for you!

Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

Ed, The Yukons that were zipper together was mine and a buddies. We got second place in the competition . Took home an Eskimo auger. There were twice as many portables as last year. Congrats to your son-in-law.
    Randy

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I was there for a bit. It was pretty fun to see all of the new gear in person (despite the rain). Good thing everything was tented! I’m surprised VMC and Trigger X plastics came out with ice fishing lures this year. The highlight for me was talking to Mr. Roach for awhile.

hamms
    Mn

It was a great time there. I had to leave early who won first place for the portables? The rain was a bummer but there was a great showing.

Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

First went to the Voyager hooked up to the big Polaris atv.

hamms
    Mn

That wheeler was insane!

Ed Stern

Randy, I was glad I made the connection. I have told about a dozen people already about your Yukon! That was amazing! Have you entered this contest before? How many were there all together? I hope I run into you on the ice this winter….

Randy Rowell
    Rockland Wi

Yes, I have enter before. This year there were 15 shelters entered. Maybe we can meet up on the ice sometime.
    Randy

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Amazing what ppl can do to a portable shelter witha little creativity. – QB

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Missed it this year for the first time in a long time. Heard that the rain kept a few folks away, but the showing was strong, and the prizes, speakers, and displays were even stronger! Thanks for the report all, and congrats on the 2nd place finish Randy.

Joel

day_trader
    Minnesota

I was there for a short while. The rain and my better half are NOT on speaking terms.
    As a newbie to this AMAZING sport, I really enjoyed seeing how guys are adapting their portables. I have to admit… I AM USING A LOT OF WHAT I SAW.
    LOVED IT and can’t wait until next year, maybe come up with a couple mods myself.

Thanks again to all that entered and shared their ingenuity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.