Best winter Gloves

• dld24

I feel like an idiot posting this while I’m sweating my a$$ off, but I got the ice fishing bug somehow…What are your guys favorite gloves for the hardwater…I’m looking to buy 2 new pairs, one big heavy pair and one I can use easily while I’m jigging…I had the Ice Armor X something and they were warm, but not waterproof as they said they were…Thanks for any input

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

A say buy a few pair.
    Few years ago I bought 4 or so pair of Ice Armour gloves cheap at season end. They are not the best by any means but if they do get wet I have a dry pair waiting to go.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

For heavy I recommend Cabelas Pinnacle gore-tex. Spendy but worth it. I’ve lost two pairs now but will be buying another set before winter.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Gloves, for me, hands down… the one’s I got when I bought my snowmobile. Leather and warm. Not water proof or nimble, but comfy Otherwise, I tend to wear mittens/choppers and take them on and off when I need to.

Paul Heise
    River Falls, Wi

I’m with big G. I wear leather choppers that are quickly slid on and off. Keeping fingers together plays a big role in keeping them warm in my opinion! I did play around with the neoprene ones I use to pick up my dekes in cooler weather. I found them to work in temps above 15ยบ quite well. Granted this was during hole hopping in and out of the shack to warm back up. Just make sure they are snug fitting. I can unhook small panfish jigs without taking them off! If I’m strictly fishing outside I will stick with my choppers.

Steve Thompson
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota

I have a number of different gloves for various conditions. Seems like my go to gloves for most of last season were the Cabela’s Guidewear Glomitts. Enough to take the bite of the weather off, and able to flip the top off when needed. Not the warmest, but windproof, water-resistant (not water-proof) and worked well in a lot of weather conditions.

Gloves at Cabelas

396ranger
    Cottage Grove MN

Cabelas glomitts are good or a pair similar. They are all I use and they work for the gun also. They have a camo style.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

A pair of choppers and several pairs of brown cotton gloves… throw a few handwarmers in and it don’t get no better than that!!!

Mark

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

If your going for just warmth the best I’ve found are the ice armor choppers, unbelievable warmth. I use them when I’m scouting with the camera, only problem is on the really cold days after checking a lot of holes they ice up when constantly running the camera cord through my hands so I take two pairs along. When I’m hole hopping I use the Fleet farm 20 dollar wool glomitts because they are warm and easy to pull off when landing a fish in the hole plus they allow me to fish with my fingers a crucial part imo to jig fishing for pannies. Also I have a hand muff clipped around my waist under my ice armour coat with a hand warmer cooking if I want to briefly warm up a few cold fingers after landing a fish or just keep my non jigging hand warm, works awesome!

And your not alone in getting the ice fishing bug in summer, a portion of my off days are spent watching ido ice fishing shows and reading ice fishing magazines. I think that’s normal….

Bring on the ice!!

lhprop1
    Eagan

Gloves . . . we don’t need no stinking gloves. What do you think god invented your crotch and arm pits for?

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

I feel like an idiot posting this while I’m sweating my a$$ off, but I got the ice fishing bug somehow…What are your guys favorite gloves for the hardwater…I’m looking to buy 2 new pairs, one big heavy pair and one I can use easily while I’m jigging…I had the Ice Armor X something and they were warm, but not waterproof as they said they were…Thanks for any input

I have both the SnoSuit Gauntlett Mitts and the FXE Task Gloves. Love them both and both serve different purposes, it’s a great combo for me. Check out the Red Rock store online they have a good sale on them right now.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

What do you think god invented your crotch and arm pits for?

I know what God invented my crotch for!

I use the mitts from Ice Armour. I love them.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

Quote:

What do you think god invented your crotch and arm pits for?

I know what God invented my crotch for!

Soccer practice?

dld24

Thanks for the tip on red rock store I ordered them today, they had quite a few good deals..If anyone likes Lindy Darters they got them for $2…I’m not a fan, but for that price I figured I’d grab a few…

PikeFishman
    St. Paul, MN

Quote:

Thanks for the tip on red rock store I ordered them today, they had quite a few good deals..If anyone likes Lindy Darters they got them for $2…I’m not a fan, but for that price I figured I’d grab a few…

You’re welcome, did you end up going with both? That’s a steal on the Darters.

dld24

Ya, had to for that price, most other places were like $35 or $40…Figure I’ll use the mitts for drilling holes and setting up and stuff then the task gloves when I’m jigging..Ya I have never had luck with the darters,but then again I don’t try them all that much…

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I think gloves are one of the most difficult things for recommending to anyone. Personal needs/temp tolerance influences so much. I generally don’t wear any gloves until it gets into the low teens or I’m handling metal like an auger.
    Over the years I have come to hate large bulky gloves/mitts with a passion. Seems like I have to take them off for everything and have them off much more than I have them on. About 20 years ago, started buying bags of thin cotton gloves. They fit snug and easily slide in and out of wool gloves. For me, gloves need to be versatile for fishing, hunting, trapping, construction, and working around the farm. Disposable and inexpensive!

bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

I totaly agree with Randy, as I work out side everyday, plus the hunt, trap and fish thing. What I have found is in a normal winter, my fingers dry and split – very painfull. A few years back I picked up an utter balm product, there are a few, and set out to apply a good coat at least three times a day or more. What I found was my hands stayed in good shape, plus they stay dry and warm, don’t need the gloves but half the time. and that was a late winter muskrat line

hunter1723

I am a big fan of the ice armor mittens. They work great. never get cold hands unless I don’t have them on because I am catching fish.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Have you ever cut open the clam gloves or ice armour gloves or had them tear there is a plastic shopping bag in there for waterproofing. Atleast that is what they used to have in there. Frabill makes an excellent glove otherwise the beefed up cabelas gloves are the bomb. – QB

dld24

Ya I bought the frabil mittens, first thing I did was stick it in under the faucet. They stayed completely dry, I had the ice armor mits last year and my hands would get wet so I returned them..

hnd

i have 2 pairs of ice armor edge gloves. and pair of old big ole mits i can use for checking holes or just sitting there. they slide off pretty easy.

i’ve started also wearing a hand muff for jigging winter walleyes so i used it for the first time walleye fishing. good idea on days where you don’t wnat gloves but don’t want to stick your hand down your bibs

bigpike

Quote:

Went to the Redrock store and bought 2 frabil tipdowns for half price and a 36″ bro series quick tip in line combo for half price

Looked at the gloves but I am too picky to but without trying….

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.