Good day slabbing with plastics

• dld24

When I went out today my goal was to start using plastics and not switch to waxies if they don’t bite right away (which I normally will).This time I stuck to it and if they didn’t bite I would just throw a different color or presentation at it and the result: I’m a believer in plastics…Caught about 20 crappies 9.5″-12″..

hamms
    Mn

Nice pile of fish. I too am quick to tip with a waxie when it gets tough switching colors or styles of plastic is good idea. What was your go to today? That red nuclear ant?

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

What plastics seem to work the best for you and in what colors? I would like to give them a try.

dld24

The custom jigs and spins finesse plastics were my go to (probably because there the only ones I have so far lol). There wasn’t really a go to lure it was almost like the fish would watch his buddy go up and never come back so then when I dropped the bait back down he was like I’m not biting that, so I’d grab my other rod with a different color/jig on and he would gobble it up lol..If I had to guess what one caught the most I’d say chartreuse ratso with clear plastic…had to work for them,but thats what makes it fun

Matt Brookman
    Stillwater, Minnesota

Northland mini fireball jigs or custom jigs and spins red glow majmun jig tipped with the Northland impulse mini smelt has been dynamite for me this year for crappies.

hawkeye27

I am sold on the YZ jig by jig-a-whopper which they do not make anymore, but have caught pile after pile of crappies and bluegills on these for years!!

dld24

Had another great morning…around 20 slabs caught…Always a good morning when you have to shut your flasher off so you wont see the fish when you have to leave lol…Everytime I started packing up a couple would show up and hit…glow diamond jig and pink bloodworm was the best today…O and also got my new PB 13″er

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

In reply to the live bait use for crappies and sticking with it, a very wise choice IMO. Today my mindset goes as follows if I can’t catch the panfish I’m targeting with my array of plastics, I’m not gonna catch them at all. A buddy I fish with always tips with spikes or grubs with a plastic if the bite gets tough, and I always stick with just plastic and I have to say about 99.9% of the time I out fish him or we end up catching about the same amounts. Once you build confidence using plastics you can experiment on different lakes, styles, jigging motions etc. and you may never go back to live bait especially for crappies.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.