Help Choosing Underwater Camera

• wavemaster

My Cabelas Advanced Underwater camera is no longer working and has condensation inside the camera. I want to get a new camera. I do not want to spend too much as it will only be used a handful of times each year. I do want something that will last and be able to get replacement parts if needed.

I am looking at the Marcum VS380 and the Marcum VS385. I know the VS380 is older but includes a camera panner. Does anyone know if these cameras are still made in the USA? Does anyone have experience with these cameras? Any Advice?

dld24

I have both cameras right now, I just bought the 385…The 385 has a little clearer picture with the LCD screen vs the CRT…and I like how the 385 is so compact…Definately get a camera panner for your camera, those things are sweet…I am intending on doing a side by side test with the two cameras, but haven’t got around to it yet…My 380 is currently for sale too if your interested…Either camera you’ll be very happy with

JoeMX1825
    MN

You definately want an LCD screen, look for Marcums for sale on craigslist, lots of good deals there…

wavemaster

Thanks guys. What is it that makes LCD monitors better? What are the advantages other than they take up less space? How much clarity difference?

JoeMX1825
    MN

better clarity, less weight and on some of the more advanced units, better features like color kill..

dld24

Next time I go out I’ll try and do a side by side comparison for ya..That would probably be friday at eel pout fest (if cameras work there). As far as color cameras, I heard color is kinda pointless unless your on very clear water or real shallow dirty water…. I was between the 385 and 385c and the salesman talked me out of the color unit (Marine General doesn’t try and sell you the most expensive units instead of the one right for you)..

wavemaster

A comparison of the 2 would be great.

I have read that underwater cameras leaking is a common problem. Has anyone ever had this issue with the marcums? Is the camera housing any improved on the newer models compared to the vs380?

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I have a Marcum VS625sd, and after having a cheeper model (different manufacturer) the lcd and color option is much better. I bought mine for ice fishing that I have not been doing… and am going to look into selling it, as having it sit on the shelf and look pretty just doesn’t make sense for such a cool unit.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I have a vs625sd and I always switch between color & B&W because certian conditions and overhead light work best with color or B&W, it’s nice to have the option..I will say though, I find B&W to be the best most of the time..that’s why I suggested looking for a used B&W LCD Marcum on craigslist, lots under $300..I think screensize is better than all features combined…I’ve been thinking of trading my 6″ for a less featured 8″

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.