How many rods????

• toxic11

I carry 7 rods with me transported in a double rifle gun case. 3 dh custom rods (one noodle with black betty, one perch pounder with frabill reel and one walleye stinger with frabill reel) 2 TUC rods (one noodle with eagle claw inline reel and precision rod with Dave genz reel) one Jason Mitchell set up and one gander mountain set up. Is that too much. How many rods do you carry and how do you carry them. Picture please if possible.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We have here on IDO what we call an RI or Rod Index. It works much like Garage Logic’s Cylinder Index.

troutbum
    St. Paul

That’s a lotta bread.
    Nice quiver.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

ill fit 6 if need be in my otter rod box. But Lately its been 4 in the rod box.. 2 powernoodles w/ fly reels 2 quiver sticks 1 36″ the second 26 w/ a trip wire cause I broke the tip.. Those also get fly reels.. Then Lastly 4 walleye rods in my striker ice rod bag.. 2 perch sweet hearts, 2 genz rods. One the split grip one the true blue. Thats what I carry around with me usually is 8 rods. Sometimes Ill throw my other ones in a soft rod case cause there cheaper rods.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

4…in a bucket.

tswoboda

4 rods in a rod bag for me. The bag also holds a ton of other tackle, tools, spare spools, etc. that rod cases like the otter do not hold.

23″ UL Genz Stix w/ an okuma SLV 2/3
    30″ TUC Noodle w/ pflueger trion
    32″ TUC Precision w/ Daiwa Regal
    Rod that came w/ eagle claw inline set up with a float and is used only by my fiance. She thinks it’s “pretty” haha.

milemark_714

Quote:

4…in a bucket.

Same here…can be a mess sometimes.After all the rods I have broke in the past,I guess I never learn.

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Hey tsswoboda..would you mind sharing the name of that rod bag so I/we can check it out? PM me if you’d like…Please n TY! I’ve been doing a little research on rod cases as I’m thinking of “upgrading” from my “bucket case” lol and your rod bag sounds interesting!

EH14

Bigwalleye30
    MN

6 rods in an ice fishing innovations rod case along with 5 tackle boxes and a few spools of line. Case holds everything and love it. Now that I’m hooked on Thorne Bros rods, I had to get a case good enough to protect them all.

28″ TB perch sweetheart
    28″ TB walleye sweetheart
    32″ TB deadstick
    32″ TB perch sweetheart
    33″ TB walleye sweetheart
    36″ TB walleye sweetheart

jetdriver
    Hudson WI

6 rods in my modified bow case and usualy 4 more cheapies in a bucket with tackle and scoop. Have extra rods sure bets trying to tie knots in the cold!

eyehuntr14
    SE WI

Wow, that innovation’s case is very nice! Not sure I need something as large as that for my needs but wow! Kinda pricey but if I fished with a truck and/or a machine all the time, I would pay it!!! I do more of the “walking with small sled in tow” so it’s not for me, just yet!!! TY for putting that up!!!

EH14

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Typically one on the dash of the truck. Since the tip broke off of it this weekend I guess its 3/4s or a rod now.

MNEric90
    Shakopee, MN

I have 4 rods that I throw in my Otter rod case with one tackle box and some pliers and whatnot. My rod collection will most likely be growing for next season!

28″ deadstick
    32″ TUC precision noodle split grip
    34″ TUC precision
    36″ TUC precision split grip.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

6 or 7 is way too many to carry out for one day. I’m not saying that it’s wrong to own several to work on your rod index. What I’m saying is that simple is better and less is more. Especially when in the cold or poor light that we deal with in ice fishing.

I have two exceptions to this. If I’m bringing a non-fisherman or doing a full day/weekend that I know will be both panfish and walleye.

I take 3-4 on a given day.

Panfish
    24″ Jason Mitchell panfish (light action)
    28″ Jason Mitchell Meatstick
    28″ cheap rod for bobber
    Optional – see Thorne or 26″ below

Walleye
    28″ Thorne Perch Sweetheart
    28″ Jason Mithcell Meatstick as a deadstick
    28″ cheap rod for bobber
    Optional
    26″ Jason Mithell 26″ Perch (ML Action)

Fewer rods with means fewer things to break and fewer lines to tangle.

artifishal

For both pannies and walleyes, I carry roughly 3 rods when I head out to the lake. The three rods that get packed the most are:

Panfish:
    28″ TB Power Noodle Outside Rod with a 6061 Black Betty
    26″ TB Trip Wire paired with a Shimano Sedona 500
    32″ Quiverstick XL paired with a Fly Reel

Gonna give the 24″ JM Meatstick the next outing to see how the rod performs compared to my other “Noodle/Spring Rods.”

For Walleyes:
    Two 28″ TB Perch Sweethearts paired with Tica Cetus reels
    28″ Deadstick Rod used for the set line.

BBKK
    IA

Since usually at most I’m 200 yards from the truck.. I take 2 rods with me on the ice. 30″ TUC Noodle and a brush rod. I have most spots narrowed down to 2-3 lures that will always produce, so I don’t need to change jigs often. I have more rods in the truck in case anything was to happen.. but so far I haven’t needed to go get one.

JoeMX1825
    MN

I keep 4 in my Otter case, no need to add MORE weight…

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

6 thorne Bros rods
    1 DH Custom
    2 Jason Mitchel Meatsticks

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

We have here on IDO what we call an RI or Rod Index. It works much like Garage Logic’s Cylinder Index.

Here we go again

All depends on the day

could be 2 rods Could be over a dozen

Almost all custom rods built by myself. A couple short cheapies so I have something to fit inside the shack. (haven’t done that in years)

I use the double scope gun cases. All my good rods are 36 to 42″ and the case accepts up to 43″. At the Onalaska GTG, one guy had some really cool rod sleeves made up. I’ll be making a half dozen for my crappie noodles!

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

I’ll carry 5 rods in my Stone Legacy bag. Could handle a few more but five is comfortable to take out and put back in. If you have room use it if it does not make a headache separating the rods.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

10 in a bucket, all but two are pannie rods. I like to setup lots of different alternatives jig-wise (color, shape, horizontal vs. vertical). I am looking heavily into the hard case for some of my better rods!!!

Mark

Bigwalleye30
    MN

eyehuntr14…i really like the case, but like you said it is pretty big. I never walk out its always a snowmobile or truck. I always throw it on top of my otter before putting the cover on. I got it when they first came out with them and they gave me a pretty good deal on it.

shaley
    Milford IA

I carry 7 in my Clam Rod Locker, wife has another 6 strapped under her seat in the shack…

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

2-4 rods in a bucket since I’m always fishing for panfish and the combo’s I run transition quickly to a good backbone to handle those stray bass, pike and walleyes. Working on finding a light rod locker that doesn’t take up so much space like a otter box or rifle case, bags are out of the question since I fish all rods over 38 and up to 50 inches (mostly homemade rods) haven’t found a case yet that can handle those bad boys.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.