Portable shack ID

• riverruns
    Inactive

I will be fishing inland water in MN this weekend. What do I need for identification on my portable shacks? They will not be left of the lake only used while we are out on the lake for the day. Anything I need on them if we use them after dark? Thanks.
    Shawn

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

From page 69 of the regs:

Shelters (fish houses and dark houses)
    The following regulations apply to all shelters used on all Minnesota
    waters, unless otherwise noted elsewhere in this booklet.
    • All shelters placed on the ice of Minnesota waters must have either the
    (1) complete name and address, (2) driver’s license number, or (3) the
    nine-digit Minnesota DNR number on the license of the owner plainly
    and legibly displayed on the outside in letters, and figures at least
    2 inches in height.
    • A shelter may not be left unattended anytime between midnight and
    one hour prior to sunrise unless the shelter is licensed.
    Note: The Dept. of Public Safety–DVS requires trailers used to haul fish
    houses or dark houses and enclosed trailers or recreational trailers used
    for fishing to be registered. See your local Deputy Registrar for trailer
    registration.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/regulations/fishing/index.html

-J.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Just put on your 9 digit DNR number and will be just fine

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Quote:

Thanks, That was my next question. I don’t need my name or anything else if I put my 9 digit number on the outside? I assume there is no information anyone can use by displaying that DNR number? Thanks.
    Shawn

It is the safest number to display

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

I will be fishing inland water in MN this weekend. What do I need for identification on my portable shacks? They will not be left of the lake only used while we are out on the lake for the day. Anything I need on them if we use them after dark? Thanks.
    Shawn

Most newer portables will already have them sewn in place, but if you are out after dark, your shelter needs a reflective patch on all four sides of the shelter.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

My portables do not have reflective patches. What would be the best to use for reflective patches. Also is there a minimum of area that needs to have the reflective patch on? I dont really care to sew something on. If there is a reflective patch that will stick on that would be great.

“•Shelters left on the ice overnight need to have at least 2 square inches of reflective material on each side of the house.”

Now in my mind this applies anytime after dark, even if occupied. It could be read as only applying if the shelter is left unoccupied.

As for myself, I would want the reflectors all the time, I sure don’t want a high speed snowmobile running into me when I’m in my tent.

Most auto supply store will carry the self adhesive reflective tape in a 2 inch wide roll or strip. Might even find some at the big box stores.

Like I say, even if the regs don’t actually require it, I still like having it on my tent. I want to be seen.

castle-rock-clown

You could try the 3M reflective adhesive strips designed for semi trailers. You can find them at Mills fleet farm, Blaine farm & fleet or any truck stop. I don’t know how well they would stick, but was wondering if a person adheared them to wood laths and placed them around the shack if it would suffice.

chirp
    Rochester

I find this topic interesting. My Son and I were out on one of the local ponds last weekend and got checked by an Officer. Asked what we had caught, asked if we kept any and checked our license. I then asked him if we needed any ID on the portable and his answer was NO they changed that rule this year. He told me as long as you don’t leave it unattended you don’t need anything on it. Now I’m confused.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Quote:

I find this topic interesting. My Son and I were out on one of the local ponds last weekend and got checked by an Officer. Asked what we had caught, asked if we kept any and checked our license. I then asked him if we needed any ID on the portable and his answer was NO they changed that rule this year. He told me as long as you don’t leave it unattended you don’t need anything on it. Now I’m confused.

No, the officer is confused. I find this same thing happens regularly when there are changes to the regs. Even the officers are not always on the same page.

The regs are pretty clear on this in how they are written, no reason there should be any confusion.

chirp
    Rochester

Thanks for that info.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.