Tip Downs

• KP
    Hudson, WI

So I bought a sure strike tip down the other day from fleet farm. Ive heard great things about them and wanted to try it out. Ive never fished with one or have been close to see some one using them.

Im just looking for any tips on how to rig them and also how to use them.

Thanks guys
    Kp

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

They come rigged up!

Make sure you tighten the wing nuts hard or your rod may fall over if a larger fish hits it and you can lose your rod.

Set to depth with chosen bait on the hook. Minnow is most common.

They work great in the right situation.

KP
    Hudson, WI

Quote:

They come rigged up!

Make sure you tighten the wing nuts hard or your rod may fall over if a larger fish hits it and you can lose your rod.

Set to depth with chosen bait on the hook. Minnow is most common.

They work great in the right situation.

I know it came rigged up! I was just wondering if you changed how it was rigged?

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

No need to change it. The small hook performs well with a fathead and hooks crappies and walleye well. I have been able to land a few walleye 14-16 inches

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Send a message to member IceNutz. He makes tip downs and can give you some great tips.

jld
    Holmen

What I like best about the tip downs is I always seem to catch bigger fisher than while jigging.

mrCROWLEY138
    La Crosse, WI

I like to run 8lb Sufix Tangerine orange colored line as my main line to a leader of 4lb P-line floro. The hi-vis orange line makes a world of a difference when you’ve got it laying all over the ice after landing a fish. Also, using 8lb test makes for better abrasion resistance and less worry about breaking off from rubbing on the ice.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

I like to run 8lb Sufix Tangerine orange colored line as my main line to a leader of 4lb P-line floro. The hi-vis orange line makes a world of a difference when you’ve got it laying all over the ice after landing a fish. Also, using 8lb test makes for better abrasion resistance and less worry about breaking off from rubbing on the ice.

Mr. Crowley has it right. You need to re rig the Sure Strike with a colored main line in 6 or 8# test and a nice florocarbon leader in 3 or 4# with a #14 Treble. Also please add a safety line from the pole to the frame or you will loose the poles down the hole, trust me I have learned from experience.

When I first moved to the Eau Claire area 10 years ago no one knew what a Tip Down was. We have been using them in eastern WI for about 20 years now.

Sure Strike copied a design that myself and another family member came up with about 15 years ago after going through several different designs, I was dumb enough in retrospect to post it on the internet about 8 years ago. Sure Strike came out with the exact copy about 3 years ago. Here are some pics of the ones we build and sell fully rigged with the proper line and hooks.

They are identical other than I switched to using the ABS handled rods over the wood because of inconsistencies in the weight of the wood and getting a proper balance point.

We are considering marketing them to one of the big manufacturers this spring but only if they can keep the same quality that we currently have.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, oh we sell them for $2 less than the Sure Strike’s normal price.

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Icenutz that sucks!

Next time I get more I’ll have to shoot you an message. I love that design more than any other I have seen. I thought about adding a cord also since my buddy lost one of my rods by not tightening the wingnuts.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Quote:

Icenutz that sucks!

Next time I get more I’ll have to shoot you an message. I love that design more than any other I have seen. I thought about adding a cord also since my buddy lost one of my rods by not tightening the wingnuts.

You’ll love these things Aaron. I got two when I moved out here from IceNutz and you’d have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. I barely ever git to jig anymore. I’m too busy running.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.