Blade baits and leaders

• recon033

Anyone using leaders for their blade baits? What kind of line set ups are you using for walleyes? Does anyone on here target pike with blade baits? What line set up do you use then? I am planning on targeting pike on a lake I did well on blade baits two months ago. I have been snapped off too many times and was thinking about using a heavy fluro leader or something.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

A 20 or 30 pound floro works pretty good.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

The 20# floro was the top recommendation for me when I was setting up my ice gator rods this year.

Paul Delaney

I would recommend using a no stretch main line attaching a barrel swivel to a strong flourocarbon leader of #20 or so when fishing for Pike. If you are targeting Walleyes you can down scale to 12 to 15 lb test but can still get away with using 20lb leader.

Paul Delaney
    http://www.lateeyessportfishing.com

recon033

Im going to set up a leader for both eyes and pike and see how I do. Hopefully at least I wont spend so much money on blades.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Fishin – I’ve used the Tygerwire and other tie-able leader material in the past with success on Upper Red and Lake of the Woods. Waters like that, you don’t need to worry about going heavy because of the turbidity/stain. Clearer water, I think the floro is the way to go. I can tell you from experience however that 20# floro should be replaced with each fish and even then will sometimes get bit clean. For some reason, it’s not the better pike, it’s the little suckers that inhale the blade and bite you off!

Joel

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.