Another plastics question…

• rapidsjigger24
    Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

First post, long time lurker prior to joining the site…

For those of you that fish plastics for pannies a lot/exclusively, how do you decide with all of the different colors, styles, jig heads, etc. to start with? Do you start with a favorite and then adjust based on how you see the fish react to your presentation on a flasher?

I’ve caught some fish on plastics, but never with any consistency. I know it is all about confidence in the baits, but are there any general rules that you all follow to find the right combo?

Thanks for any thoughts/insight!

BBKK
    IA

Keep trying until you find something that works. I usually start with a neutral color, such as black or brown. If they don’t hit it after a few minutes, I’ll switch to a brighter color such as chartreuse or white. If they still don’t hit it, I’ll switch types of plastics or maybe try a spoon. Of course some spots are “black spots” and some are “chartreuse spots” and some are “pink spots”, where those colors always seem to work. Once you figure that out, its game on.

For someone just starting out in the plastics world I suggest these colors.
    Black
    White
    Chartreuse
    Pink

With those 4 colors you will almost always have one that works well.

Sometimes you have to play with head colors also. Sometimes I’ll be catching nothing on black, then switch to chartreuse head with a black body and start hauling them in. Sometimes its pink head white body, sometimes its white head pink body. Sometimes its solid colors only. You never know until you go.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quote:

Keep trying until you find something that works. I usually start with a neutral color, such as black or brown. If they don’t hit it after a few minutes, I’ll switch to a brighter color such as chartreuse or white. If they still don’t hit it, I’ll switch types of plastics or maybe try a spoon. Of course some spots are “black spots” and some are “chartreuse spots” and some are “pink spots”, where those colors always seem to work. Once you figure that out, its game on.

For someone just starting out in the plastics world I suggest these colors.
    Black
    White
    Chartreuse
    Pink

With those 4 colors you will almost always have one that works well.

Sometimes you have to play with head colors also. Sometimes I’ll be catching nothing on black, then switch to chartreuse head with a black body and start hauling them in. Sometimes its pink head white body, sometimes its white head pink body. Sometimes its solid colors only. You never know until you go.

X2 Well stated!
    I would add purple and blood red to the list
    Another thing to add is confidence. First and foremost, you have to have confidence in what your doing. I’ve been very fortunate that many of the people I guide are looking to learn. In most cases, they have the pieces of the puzzle, but just need to add confidence. You hit it perfectly on the head when you stated watching their reactions on the electronics. If they rush up, and sit there…..and sit there…and… Your very close! just a matter of a subtle change in your jigging sequences, or as BBK stated, a minor change in color combination. If you see they shy away and won’t chase at all, change the color up to the other end of the spectrum.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I use a red nuggie 99.999% of the time! Why? Because I have the utmost confidence in that bait! I absolutely know I’m going to catch fish with it when I drop it down the hole. It’s all about confidence!

tswoboda

Quote:

I use a red nuggie 99.999% of the time! Why? Because I have the utmost confidence in that bait! I absolutely know I’m going to catch fish with it when I drop it down the hole. It’s all about confidence!

X2 (kinda)

I don’t use red nuggies, but completely agree that you need to keep it simple.

I’m basically always using a #6 ratso for crappies and #8 diamond jig with a nuggie for gills, both in green glow. Why… because they work and I have confidence in them. If the fish aren’t being aggressive, then 9 times out of 10 I move to find other fish… the right fish.

This may seem odd, but when I am really on a good school of aggressive fish that is the time I experiment. I’ll try new colors or a new lure just because that’s the best time to weed out new baits. If aggressive fish won’t hit my new experimental bait then I know not to try it the next time good fish don’t want my typical presentations. If it really works then it may just become a new confidence bait.

SPADED
    rochester,mn

i try to match what they are eating.
    on a perch lake we have by my house they eat a lot of red worms in the mud, so i use a red scud bug and slam them all day!!

whiskeysour
    4 miles from Pool 9

An orange Purist or Rembrandt is a must have too in my jig box. Can be great for crappies and perch, especially more towards spring for some reason.

Bryan Myers

I fish a lot of deep water crappies and have found glow colors to work very well. I started fishing plastics quite a few years back and now that I have so much confidence in them I often leave the meat at home! Good luck!

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I fish plastics a lot I’ve been leaning on gulp 1″ minnows and fishing on a tungsten jig. Because they are heavy and get down quick spent the last week fishing the new checkai jig from CJS and can say its the best I’ve. Found on the market sharpest hook and best hook up ratio in the tungsten lineups like skandia or fiskas I also will fish plastics on a 1/16th oz slender spoon or a little cecil main thing with plastics is keep it strait on the hook just my imput

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Blood red is a must! I’ve really been liking the new impulse bloodworm in red this year. Also look at the CJS plastics that are found on ratsos/shrimpos but also sold separately.

trapsht
    Rockford, Il

Do you guys trim back the nuggies or wedgees at all for bluegills? I just bought some and they seem really long to me, but I am used to fishing with little spikes.

BBKK
    IA

I cut them in half when tipping a jig like a gill pill or diamond jig. Otherwise I’ll run them whole on a jig head for a minnow like presentation.

rapidsjigger24
    Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

Thank you all for your advice. I’m headed to a backwater area tomorrow where we’ve done well with gills and crappies in the past. I’ll put some of your ideas to use for sure!

Thanks again!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Do you guys trim back the nuggies or wedgees at all for bluegills? I just bought some and they seem really long to me, but I am used to fishing with little spikes.

Nope use the whole thing they suck them in like candy!

tswoboda

Quote:

I never trim them. Thought the same thing when I first tried them so I trimmed a few up and it was not a good decision. BTW go with the nuggies, same action as the wedgies but last so much longer.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Something else to consider in all of this is how the jig is presented….is it a horizontal presentation or vertical? Very often the fishs’ mood dictates how you offer the bait, especially plastics. Watch your locator and if you see fish come to your bait but won’t hit it or if they only bump it, reel it in and see if the bait and jig hangs with the hook down or with the hook parallel to the water surface. Change the jig and plastic to hang in the opposite presentation and try it. The ratso’s mentioned hang horizontally with the tail piece straight out and are great for active fish to neutral fish. The shrimpo is a vertical bait with tails pointing straight down and seem to do better for me on neutral to negative fish. The Ratso’s tail will do a wild hula dance when the jig is jigged, but when you need to slow things up and tease, the shrimpo with its tail down will sit and quiver when the rod handle is tapped with a finger. Fish facing that finger-tap on a vertical jig and plastic are destined for a plate while the same fish will swim away from the more active show.

Someone mentioned a blood red plastic as a must…good advice. The glow in color products are another way to spice up plastics and todays glow plastics are unreal. Glow red, glow green and glow purple are three basic colors that will serve you very well. One of the most un-sung colors in winter plastic is an amber or motoroil, both appearing very, very natural.

And like the disposition of the jig…vertical or horizontal, plastic color and profile will play a big part in your success but you have to be willing to change up often to reap your reward. Don’t go on the ice with three or four random plastics and expect miracles.

A good confidence builder is to fish with someone who is good with plastic. On hand experience shortens the learning curve immensely and first hand experience will also give you some dynamic direction in your own plastics shopping. As a good rule, the plastics you see on both the shrimpos and ratsos can be purchased as plastic only and are a good starting point. The Micro Nuggie and standard Nuggie are both something to have in several colors. Not really a plastic, the 1″ Gulp minnows you should carry in a couple colors….I’d suggest the Chartreuse shad and the Smelt or Watermelon shad. Be sure to shop around…check in on a few bait shops and ask which plastics are the best sellers. Custom plastics are always available and some of those are super good baits. No matter what you learn or figure out on your own, you have to have a wide-open mind with plastics. I have fished them for 30 years and when I started I took a box of jigs and a pile of plastics. Period. I forced myself to lear to fish the plastic and back them the internet wasn’t around with volumns of excellent information. Still, taking only jigs and plastics can be a great tool for learning. Think about it.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

If you can at times see what you panfish are eating and try to match hatch as the old saying goes. In south dakota our perch and even walleyes eat alot of blood worms so I like to fish with the CJS red ratso or shrimpo boddies on diamond jigs at times in deep water pounding bottom. Have confidence in your presentation and give it a go, good luck. – Q

rapidsjigger24
    Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

You guys are great. I put a bunch of your ideas into practice today and had an awesome day with gills and crappies. While the overall size of the fish was lacking, I definitely caught the most “big” fish in my group. I definitely got lucky and hit the right combo of jig/plastic early on, but I can definitely say that I took a step in the right direction with my confidence levels. I know there is still much to learn…but success is success!

Thanks again!

BBKK
    IA

Glad to hear you had a good day! Would you mind sharing what your successful combo was?

rapidsjigger24
    Beaver Dam, Wisconsin

I had the most success on a glow diamond jig and a purple whip. Also, I did pretty well with a black/glow dot tungsten jig with an orange whip.

All the fish that hit absolutely CRUSHED the jig!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.