Holst hauling in Mille Lacs ‘eyes

• greghuff
    South Minneapolis, Minnesota

James Holst and Will Roseberg got on a great Mille Lacs walleye bite recently, filming for next Sunday’s In-Depth Outdoors TV show.

Tune in to FOX Sports North on Sunday, Jan. 6, at 8 a.m. (or set your DVR), to see how they caught ’em!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No full sized vehicles on the west side that I saw. The shallow walleye bite was about as good as I’ve ever seen it!

josh a

any details? did you try the mud flats at all?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

We never got more than a quarter mile off shore out of Garrison. 14′ of water. BIG minnows, both suckers and shiners, on tip ups. My legs are sore from running down flags. We ran into one of the best shallow water walleye bites I’ve ever experienced on Mille Lacs with lots of fish in the 23″ – 26″ range.

josh a

Awesome stuff James, I’ll be driving out from the east tomorrow early am headed for the mud to start. I’ll definaty have the dvr set.

BMarshall17

Hey James, get up here to Duluth and do another show with Grant! The walleye bite is hot!

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

they Driving out of yet?

As of yeterday there were various resorts lettting 1/2 ton trucks out. We found 14″ of ice and some eyes willing to bite.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

they Driving out of yet?

As James said ATVs only at this point from Garrison but even with ATV please be extremely careful out there. With the extremely cold temps there are many VERY active cracks on the lake right now. During the day as temps rise they will push together and cause a heave but after dark when temps drop the ice will contract and a spot that you may have crossed easily during daylight could have opened up a couple feet wide.

With below zero temps in the forecast again unless you really know your stuff about how a big body of water like Mille Lacs can change I highly reccomend paying the $10 road fee to a resort to know you’re on a safe road

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.