Honda lite

• hawkeyes

Put oil in, fresh 89 gas started up and puuuuurred. Lovin this machine. Go to the lake 15 minutes later starts fine let it warm up for about 3 minutes, push lever to run and it bogs down and dies. I repeated all these steps and it did this for 15 minutes.
    Have strikelite 2 and not one problem. What is wrong with my auger. Tried to get ahold of strikemaster and no answers. Have to go through rapala email…….not very happy

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Open the gas cap a bit. You might have a plugged vent. In fact I’d almost bet on it. IF so it is a simple fix that will get you through until you get in touch with SM. You don’t need to open it all the way… just a crack.

Give me a holler back if this solves the issue.

hawkeyes

Thanks james. Tried the gas cap, that didnt work. Now I am noticing a light oily residue in my air filter and inside the lid that comes off.
    What is strikemaster’s number?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks james. Tried the gas cap, that didnt work. Now I am noticing a light oily residue in my air filter and inside the lid that comes off.

Sorry to hear that. I’m out of ideas then. Sorry.

hawkeyes

Thanks for the number James, really appreciate your help.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Thanks for the number James, really appreciate your help.

Happy to help, as minimal as it was.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

I am not 100% certain on this with the SM but the oily residue is most likely from a breather line from the case for emissions control on 4 strokes. Any oil gasses or bypass is supposed to be “burned” to reduce emissions output.
    Is there a hose or tube running from the air box to the case?

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Most likely the diaphram or the diaphram tab needs adjustment.Very common problem with these. Ive fixed lots of em.

hawkeyes

Please explain how to fix this castaway

Castaway
    Otsego,MN

Search youtube for rebuilding walbro carburetor. Some very good videos on cleaning and rebuilding a carb. Pay attention to the part on the diaphram and the tab/leever underneath it and how to adjust it properly. VERY SELDOM do I use a kit or the whole kit to fix a carb.

hawkeyes

I found lots of videos castaway. You were right about the tab setting. BUT now my problem is when I move the choke lever halfway between start and run it dies out, bogs down immediately. I wish Strikemaster was open this is ridiculous. I have loved all 3 of my previous sm augers but this is Honda is irritating me.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I would give one of their authorized service centers a call. H20 in Big Lake, MN. I have talked to these guys a few times and they are very helpful. http://www.h2outfittermarine.com They are located in Big Lake, MN I am not sure where you live however I think they would be good ones to take a look at your problem. Good Luck, just a little encouragement for you, I have been running my Honda for 3 weeks now with no issues like that. Hopefully they can help, as you are correct about strikemaster, I have owned three other SM augers as well a loved all of them however this one takes the cake for me now.

hawkeyes

Thanks jake. I did call them yesterday and the gentleman I spoke with was kinda at a loss of words. Im glad to hear yours is in good shape however they need to do something different about the throttle cable. Other than that I wish mine would have enough power to cut a hole. Hahaha

rouser

Mine was doing the same thing this weekend. Up until this weekend it had been flawless.

I was able to cut a couple holes but about halfway through the ice (9″) it would bog down and die. I’d start it again and it would idle for a moment and then die. I tried starting it again and the engine locked up… completely froze up

Took the auger home, pulled the recoil cover to make sure that wasn’t the reason behind the lock up and it wasn’t. Called SM yesterday morning, left a message and still haven’t heard back from them…

I called H2 Outfitters, they said they had one come in last week with exact same symptoms, couldn’t diagnose the problem so they sent it directly back to SM. They advised I call SM directly.

I originally bought the auger through Scheels, they happened to have one Honda-Lite left in stock so they swapped me for mine. THANK YOU SCHEELS! Hope this isn’t a problem we see again.

Vandy
    Central Iowa

Quote:

Mine was doing the same thing this weekend. Up until this weekend it had been flawless.

I was able to cut a couple holes but about halfway through the ice (9″) it would bog down and die. I’d start it again and it would idle for a moment and then die. I tried starting it again and the engine locked up… completely froze up

Took the auger home, pulled the recoil cover to make sure that wasn’t the reason behind the lock up and it wasn’t. Called SM yesterday morning, left a message and still haven’t heard back from them…

I called H2 Outfitters, they said they had one come in last week with exact same symptoms, couldn’t diagnose the problem so they sent it directly back to SM. They advised I call SM directly.

I originally bought the auger through Scheels, they happened to have one Honda-Lite left in stock so they swapped me for mine. THANK YOU SCHEELS! Hope this isn’t a problem we see again.

Mine is doing the exact same thing I have it in the shop now.
    I will try and post what I find out in case it happens to other people.

rouser

Curious if anyone found a resolution to this problem. Strikemaster still has not returned my call. The new auger that Scheels swapped by “locked up” auger with is doing the same thing

Took it out on the ice for the first time today. Starts just fine but if you try to run it throttle wide open and it dies in about 3 or 4 seconds. If I only have the throttle half open, or less, it will cut very slowly. I’ll be calling SM again this week, probably daily until they answer and emailing too…. grrr…

Vandy
    Central Iowa

Quote:

Curious if anyone found a resolution to this problem. Strikemaster still has not returned my call. The new auger that Scheels swapped by “locked up” auger with is doing the same thing

Took it out on the ice for the first time today. Starts just fine but if you try to run it throttle wide open and it dies in about 3 or 4 seconds. If I only have the throttle half open, or less, it will cut very slowly. I’ll be calling SM again this week, probably daily until they answer and emailing too…. grrr…

I took mine into the shop,they drained the gas and took the carb off and cleaned it.
    The shop told me that these engines are very picky on having good gas in them.Should only be running gas that is less than a month old.
    I took my auger out today and drilled 25-30 holes with it,and it seems to be just fine.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.