Handheld GPS for Ice Fishing

• jgimpel
    E.U.P. of Michigan

What’s the best handheld GPS I could use for Ice Fishing? I would like the lake maps and mounts for both snowmobile and ATV.

Thanks.

packingheat
    Reads Landing Mn

Garmin Rino, gps,lake maps and radio all in 1 package.

1hl&sinker
    On the St.Croix

Well, being your ice fishing and that hole you drill in the ice sucks about everything of importance down its openning.

Garmin GPS/map78 it is waterproof and it floats resisting the gravitational pull of the hole. The battery life is about the best on the market using 4 aa batteries getting 16 to 18 hrs out of them. As for the batteries I use

Ray-O-vac hybrid, I found them to have the best life range and hold there charge the longest. Though they are hard to find right now as my favorite store does not carry them. Hint hint FF

Garmin has many different models with different features that get a bit overwhelming on which to decide on. Keep it simple and do not over think it.

To me the floating aspect is very important.

puddlepounder
    Cove Bay Mille Lacs lake MN

as long as you are using it on a sled and 4 wheeler and if you have a gps unit on your boat, use that. i use an old x15 lowrance, 7 inch screen, much easier to see when traveling accross the lake. a jonny ray mount works good for mounting to either machine. unless you need a handheld for for hiking or geocaching, don’t waste your money on a handheld

BMarshall17

If you are looking for a quick, cheap, and convenient way to look at lake structures, and you also own a smart phone, I would suggest downloading an app called Back Country Navigator! It is only $10. It isn’t the best but it will definentely get you on the spots you want to be on while you are looking for that 400-500 dollar GPS. I use it ever time i go out. Try it!

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

After throwing away my H2OC I got a GPSMAP® 62stc and have never looked back. Great reliable unit.

Michael Saal
    Merrill, Wi

I just got the Garmin 550 with the Garmin lake maps. It has a built in camera and easy to use. For hunting you can take a picture of a tree you want to put a stand in and use that for a way point.It comes with rechargable batteries and charger.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

My Garmin NUVI will take an SD card… I should be able to run a Navionics chip in it and use it right ?

stevenoak

I’m starting another year with my H2O. Expect it to die any year but it’s still going. Gave thought to putting my 798 on my 4 wheeler. One concern is how the plastic parts hold up in sub-zero. Also in my part of the country a lot of our season is limited to foot travel.Always happy to read about new handhelds knowing the day is coming.

farmology

Navionics app for smart phone works nice and only ten bucks.

scottie56005

I hear that the Lakemasters work so I would think the Navionics card would also. Could you post a picture with your findings? That would be nice. Someone else mentioned this a few weeks ago and have not seen the results yet. I have been looking for a used unit to do the same thing. If I knew it worked for sure that would help out greatly.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

I, too want to use my Nuvi. I looked into the Lakemaster a couple years ago, but then Garmin stopped supporting Lakemaster. I have not checked into the Navionics, so if you do, please posts results. I did enter waypoints from Lake-Link map. It worked, but wasn’t very user friendly.

Anybody tried this with a car GPS? Should work, shouldn’t it?

Sandbags
    SE Wisconsin

Just picked up a Garmin Oregon 550t. Cabela’s had a steal of a deal that I couldn’t pass up! We’ll see how it works.

jgimpel
    E.U.P. of Michigan

Thanks for the posts! I currently use the Navionics app on my iPhone, which is a great app BTW. My concern is the areas I want to fish have poor to no cell signal which tends to limit or slow down it’s function. A handheld, or dedicated GPS unit would eliminate cell signal issues. Since I don’t own a boat a handheld type would suit my needs best since I could use it for hunting as well.

castle-rock-clown

I hear ya on that Oregon purchace. I have the Colorado with a Wi lakemaster chip, and it is fantastic. I have more lakes on it than the lakemaster chip for my humminbird. I think the navionics is much better in my humminbird. Practice filet and release.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.