suggestions on ice fishing line

• servicce
    Waterloo, Ia

what seems to be the line to use this year. Who’s been out with what? I won’t have ice till I head north, so I am thinking of spooling on some Suffix ice line 2 lb for panfish and 3 or 4 lb for walleye/jumbo perch. Colors? clear/green/yellow??

Duke M

I’ve been happy with 2# Stren Hi-Vis yellow, no leader straight yellow right to the lure. Much easier to see against the ice and water in the hole. I see a lot of my bites on the line.

Duke

servicce
    Waterloo, Ia

Quote:

I’ve been happy with 2# Stren Hi-Vis yellow, no leader straight yellow right to the lure. Much easier to see against the ice and water in the hole. I see a lot of my bites on the line.

Duke

What type of fish/size are you landing? Thanks for the info.

2# Sufix 832 Ghost Braid gets my vote.

This stuff is nearly invisible underwater, is tough as nails and also offers a nice contrast color above the water for easy line visualization.

Duke M

servicce, I’m mostly a backwater hole hopping pan fish guy. I use thru blank long rods and have to deal with the ocassional l.m. bass.

Duke

BMarshall17

Ive always thought about braid but never tried it… can it be used all the time, or is there a time when mono is beter…? i know mono has more strech but do see why you would want stretch… Also would you use a leader with the braid?

BBKK
    IA

I have always been a fan of trilene micro ice 2lb for bluegill and 3lb for crappie. Clear steel color. Always been the best for me, and I’ve tried a few.

However, last year I spooled up some 3lb suffix ice line, but never had enough ice to use it. So this spring I grabbed the reel and threw it on a 5′ UL st. croix premier and went bluegill fishing with it. It worked awesome for throwing little micro plastics for big bull bluegills off the beds. So I dont know how it works in the cold, but in the warm weather it is a darn nice line. I’m going to try it this winter if we get ice and see if its better than my go-to trilene micro ice.

servicce
    Waterloo, Ia

Quote:

I have always been a fan of trilene micro ice 2lb for bluegill and 3lb for crappie. Clear steel color. Always been the best for me, and I’ve tried a few.

However, last year I spooled up some 3lb suffix ice line, but never had enough ice to use it. So this spring I grabbed the reel and threw it on a 5′ UL st. croix premier and went bluegill fishing with it. It worked awesome for throwing little micro plastics for big bull bluegills off the beds. So I dont know how it works in the cold, but in the warm weather it is a darn nice line. I’m going to try it this winter if we get ice and see if its better than my go-to trilene micro ice.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Suffix line. I used some of it last year and worked good the 8 times I got out on good ice. Northern Iowa sucked for winter fishing. Kinda headed down the same road. Thanks for the feedback
    Jason

jasono00
    cities

I use northland northland bionic ice line clear, #3 pound for panfish, #6 for walleyes.

servicce
    Waterloo, Ia

Quote:

I use northland northland bionic ice line clear, #3 pound for panfish, #6 for walleyes.

Any memory retention as the winter ice season wears on?

jasono00
    cities

has worked great for me very lil line curl at end of the season.

jake-bohnsack
    Wright County Area

I have had good luck with the orange Suffix Ice Magic 2 and 4 lb for crappies. I like the high viz on the ice and the fish do not seem to care. I also have the smoke colored line that is almost gray in color. I like the mono for panfish.

stevenoak

Quote:

I have had good luck with the orange Suffix Ice Magic 2 and 4 lb for crappies. I like the high viz on the ice and the fish do not seem to care. I also have the smoke colored line that is almost gray in color. I like the mono for panfish.

When I tried the Suffix orange it had very little spool memory and worked great in a hut. But outside near zero it seem to get brittle and it would break very easy. Anyone else notice this?

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Quote:

x2. Just respooled with this stuff yesterday. It seems like good stuff. Came highly recommended.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

x2. Just respooled with this stuff yesterday. It seems like good stuff. Came highly recommended.

I don’t doubt it is good line, but my nephew worked for Northland and he said the line sucked. After hearing that, I can’t bring myself to use it.

I am not saying that to say you guys are wrong. That’s not my intent. Considering my nephew as the source, I shouldn’t be so quick to judge. For all I know the numbskull was not tying his knots right. I am just bringing it up because I think it is funny how he has shaped my opinion of the product.

To put it in perspective, this is the same nephew who promised us Northland stuff at a wholesale price, but took about a damn year to fulfill our orders after we submitted them.

Back on topic, I like Fluorocarbon. I like it for 2 simple reasons, the line sinks and has low stretch. Both factors may have minimal impact in ice fishing situations for me, but still that’s my go to line.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

All valid points. Just like most things; one can find someone whom loves a product and one who hates it. I thought I’d give it a chance 4.99 for 350 yards…low risk. I also have some on a summer rod in 8 lb. Very good experience with it. I talked with the fishing guy at Gander he thought that it was likely that Stren made the line for them. Just a different label. At any rate…I’ll let you all know if we get some fishable ice.

big-nasty
    Backus, Mn

I really like Suffix Ice Magic in 3lb clear for crappies and gills. I have used it for a few years now and haven’t had any problems. On my deadstick rod for eyes, I will go to 6lb and then on my jigging rod I use 832 braid. I like the thin diameter and low stretch for my hook sets, plus I don’t worry about it rubbing on the ice if there are big runs. I don’t do a lot of fishing out side the house so I don’t worry about the line freezing up. For my laker rods I use clear Invisiline 100% Flurocarbon by Suffix also. I believe with the eyesight of trout, you need to go clear and the fluorocarbon is one tough line without much stretch for good hooksets.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

I to like the Sufix Ice majic, for fishing inside my shelter or out side on warmer days, on my other rods I run northland fluorosilk and have had no problems with it yet.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.