How to carry minnows and still be mobile?

• Bryan Myers

I was wondering how everyone transports there minnows when they are just planning on fishing for perch with just the heads? I’ve heard of people putting them in baggies and salting them, but I’ve always just carried them live in a cooler. I like the idea of not having water splashing all over In the sled and freezing, but if salted minnows seam less effective I think I will just keep doing what I’ve been doing.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

A strikemaster bait puck is exactly what you’re looking for.

I will post a pic tomorrow once I’m at a computer… unless someone beats me to it

Chode2235

Quote:

A strikemaster bait puck is exactly what you’re looking for.

I will post a pic tomorrow once I’m at a computer… unless someone beats me to it

Thats my favorite way to do it. Those fatheads live forever in the winter. Put a bunch of them in there, and a little water (dont let it freeze!), and off you go.

Here’s the link: http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/StrikeMaster-Bait-Puck-2-Large-p14499.htm

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

I was wondering how everyone transports there minnows when they are just planning on fishing for perch with just the heads? I’ve heard of people putting them in baggies and salting them, but I’ve always just carried them live in a cooler. I like the idea of not having water splashing all over In the sled and freezing, but if salted minnows seam less effective I think I will just keep doing what I’ve been doing.

Holst just puts ’em in his pocket!!!

Mark

scottie56005

Regular bait bucket of choice for the bulk storage. Then either the original bait puck or the new larger one.

I just pack a bunch in the original bait puck with out any water and go to town. When tipping they don’t need to be alive so this is not a worry. You can pack about 5-10 fatheads in each one. These smaller pucks also fit in your pants pocket so you can keep them on your person and travel light.

Must have product from Strikemaster!

dld24

X3 on strikemaster bait pucks…I used them for the first time last weekend very nice throw a bunch of minnows in and throw it in your pocket

BBKK
    IA

Roll them in sawdust or salt and throw in a bait puck. The sawdust/salt keeps them from sliming up.

If you want to keep them alive, an empty mayonnaise jar works well. A lot smaller than a bucket and can be stuck anywhere in a portable or bucket.

katmando
    Ramsey,MN pool 2, St.croix river

I usually use an empty Tin of some kodiak wintergreen. Same price as a bait puck with an extra added filling

bigpike

I put live minnows in a tupperware container when I have limited space and weight constraints. It works well for a few dozen ice fishing.

G-raff
    Rochester, MN

I use an old folgers coffee container. The lid snaps on tight and doesn’t leak. Then just what everyone else said about the bait puck when hole hopping.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I know a guy that carries them in his Sno Suit pocket.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I also use a bait puck. Make sure you don’t forget them in there for a couple days.

nate_love

I picked up a couple small thermos coolers from the thrift store over the summer. They dont leak, and most have a little port at the top for a portable aerator.

stuart
    Mn.

Use plastics.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Now that I’m at a computer here is the long answer… There are actually two parts to this question. Transporting minnows onto the lake and carrying them with you once you are actually fishing.

For the trip onto the lake I always just use an old 5 qt cooler. To me this is the perfect solution – Its durable enough to not get broken or tip over and spill while bouncing around in your sled behind an ATV; it has a top that will not break if you have to pry it open when it gets frozen shut on the way out, and it is insulated which keeps your water from turning to slush which will happen fishing outdoors with a tupperware or coffee can in single digit temps.

Once I’m at my spot and ready to fish I prefer the original (smaller) bait puck which I can fit in the pocket of my jacket/bibs. You can fill it with whole minnows and they will stay alive for quite a while, but what I typically do for for tipping my spoons is to bring just the heads which allows me to keep my fingers as dry as possible when re-baiting hooks on cold days

out_fishing
    Moorhead, MN

I wish I would have thought of the 5 qt cooler before I dropped $40 bucks on the frabill one. Could have saved some cash there…Great idea.

riverbassman

I second the old lemonade/camping coolers. I seem to have to replace them (for the family) every 5-6 years because of them getting dirty/stained/beat up.
    The lids lock and SEAL. Plus, they are insulated enough that the water doesnt freeze (as fast) in them like regular minnow buckets.
    I have dropped it traversing down icy slopes when trying to get to more remote lakes….. doesnt wreck your day because they will not open.

ajs
    Mellen,WI

i use a larger 16 quart cooler for transporting minnows and it doubles as a seat when traveling without the portable.

Ajs

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

If you are just going to pinch off the heads…..I freeze them in baggies with 1 to 1.5 doz each bag. This way I can save any unused minnows all summer just baggie them and freeze them. Toss them in an inside pocket on the way out in the morning and they are usually thawed enough to pull them apart and pinch a head off. Once thawed I use the strikemaster baitpucks as well…they work slick.

Been doing this on LOTW for years.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

…I have never tried using the puck for minnows. I just assumed that water (if any) would leak. I will have to give it a try. ***Sidenote: I was gifted a CLAM puck from the St. Paul Ice show. I have not compared it side by side to my other pucks but it looks of the same construction. Any reviews out there?????

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Quote:

…I have never tried using the puck for minnows. I just assumed that water (if any) would leak. I will have to give it a try. ***Sidenote: I was gifted a CLAM puck from the St. Paul Ice show. I have not compared it side by side to my other pucks but it looks of the same construction. Any reviews out there?????

I would say it’s probably about the same just a different color. Also, I don’t put water in my bait puck at all… Personally I only use my puck for bait that goes on a jigging rod. If I want a fresh, lively minnow for a tip-up/deadstick then I head back to the bait bucket.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

I use an old folgers coffee container. The lid snaps on tight and doesn’t leak. Then just what everyone else said about the bait puck when hole hopping.

That’s what I use for miscellaneous stuff and my jig containers.

I wonder what James’s pocket smells like in April? Brian, you should have him put a rag in the pocket to carry around all winter and then cut it into strips as bait in spring.

rvvrrat
    The Sand Prairie

Quote:

I wonder what James’s pocket smells like in April?

You sir, have too much time on your hands

Bryan Myers

I never thought about using the strikemaster bait puck that should be perfect. No spilling and fits right in my pocket. Thanks!

hawkeye27

I use one of colemans medium sized water jugs. insulated so dont freeze as fast, screw on top for no spillage, and good plastic have yet to have mine crack

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.