Sleeping in a Flip-Over

• brodheads_finest
    Wisconsin

Hey guys, I’ve been a lurker on this site for quite some time, and finally decided to join in the fun.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with sleeping on the ice in their flip over shacks. I have an Otter Wild One Man Cabin, and would like to try and sleep out on the ice this winter. I have a Big Buddy heater and a 20 lb tank, so heat won’t be an issue. I also have purchased some reflectors to put on the shack at night.

Dimensions:
    Set Up:…….54″ L x 79″ D x 65″ H
    Collapsed:..54″ L x 32″ W x 15″ H

I am 6’2″ and go about 250. The dimensions are feasible for sleeping in the shack. I was thinking about laying a cot length wise over the bench seat, or modifying the bench seat to recline flat, and angle myself across it and propping my feet up.

Any information on which cots and sleeping bags that you have had good luck with, or tips for sleeping in the flip over are appreciated.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Interesting concept. Sounds cool. Welcome to IDO.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Welcome to the site. Doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Would be concerned about the heater and Carbon monoxide for one. 2nd is that it just doesn’t sound all that comfortable. Would think sleeping in the truck or car might be a bit more comfortable or get a bigger shack.

Spent a night in a portable years ago on mille lacs. It was not a very warm night.

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

I’ve done it a handful of times. I just slept on the chair, But I had my truck next to me every time so I had something to fall back on just in case

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I’m guilty of nodding off for an afternoon nap, but never an all nighter in there. I’m 5’11″/220 and couldn’t get comfortable. Air mattress in the bed of the truck is much more feasible for my old body.
    And Welcome to IDO!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I was talking with someone just recently about asking Otter to come up with a bench seat that would not only work as a back rest, but also fold back so you could sleep on it..

bigcrappie
    Blaine

I would look at a hub style house, that way you would have lots of room to put a cot and get a good nights sleep. But on a good night you should not get to sleep at all with rattle reels going off all night…..

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

Having a heater going scares me as well. Sleeping with your bibs on in a subzero sleeping bag should do the trick no problem. Getting a comfortable cot/bed is an issue.

Boogerbreath
    Bemidji, MN

I suggest the mummy style. Forgot to mention that. It adds a little in regards to a pillow and it covers your head.

tswoboda

Sounds like a good time, I’d go for it. Make sure to open the vents for circulation to prevent CO buildup, and the buddy heater has an automatic shut off anyway so if CO levels do get to high you’ll just wake up from being cold. An extra safety measure would be to get a battery powered detector for around $30 online. Get yourself a comfy cot, those benches are not fun to sleep on.

Cp3
    Hammond, WI

Funny I have always wanted to do something like this.
    I think if you have a truck with a topper that would be a good start on where to sleep. Otherwise what would one use for heat to make it safe?

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Having done my fair share of winter camping, I’d say kill the heater before dozing off. I good sleping bag is all you should need to keep warm.

-J.

lhprop1
    Eagan

If you sleep on a cot, make sure you have some sort of insulation below you. Most of the cold comes from below. A thick blanket or sleeping bag beneath your sleeping bag should do the trick.

Not only would I be concerned about CO, I would also be concerned about a corner of the blanket or sleeping bag hitting your heater if you roll over during the night. Most flip overs aren’t very roomy and that could be a valid concern.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

Having done my fair share of winter camping, I’d say kill the heater before dozing off. I good sleping bag is all you should need to keep warm.

-J.

X2 on this one.

I’ve done a fair amount of winter camping as well. If you are going to make your ice shelter work as a tent, STRONGLY consider about not having the heater on.

After some trial and several errors my recipe is two sleeping pads and a good sleeping bag.

Sounds like fun but be safe!

kuabzeej

I have slept overnight a few times in my portable. I have the exact portable, I believe its the one man, wide one. A few things that helped are the reflector insulation, make sure the cover flaps are well covered with snow so no wind can get in, picked up a cheap popup table to put in the front to store all accessories, and lastly cut out a carpet and lay that on the open ice. With that all done, its almost do-able with just a snosuit outfit on. Don’t leave the heater on, but crank up the bigbuddy for a bit on high with the fan and it should keep things warm.

norge

I am 6’5″ and 240 pounds. I have slept out in the Winter countless times. Many times in -40 or -50 temps in N. Minnesota, Canada and Alaska while running my sled dogs in races and on expeditions. My suggestion is get a -30 or -40 rated sleeping bag that is big enough for you. You don’t want to be too restricted. Get a good Therma rest self inflating mattress and a straight closed cell foam mat to use with it. Get a bivy sack for your bag and/or a good quality tarp. Sleep outside of your shack. Maybe you leave your heavy clothes in the shack and possibly boot liners to dry some. I have even perfected peeing in a ziploc freezer bag at night, so I don’t have to get out of the bag when it is cold. You can be toasty warm and comfortable.
    Lloyd

sauger
    Hastings ,MN

Does passing out count as sleeping…….. If so, Ya no problem

jld
    Holmen

I have thought about this before also and I like the concept but peeing into a ziplock freezer bag is a whole different level for me. Can you say tricky.

brodheads_finest
    Wisconsin

Thanks for all the tips. I won’t be sleeping with my heater on, I was more implying that If I did get cold during the middle of the night I could always flip the Big Buddy on for a few minutes and have the shack toasty. I will probably try and squeeze a cot in there with a sleeping bag.

Most of the lakes I will be fishing will be quite a drive away so I was looking to save money and maximize my time spent fishing at the same time. Once the ice is thick enought I will be able to use my truck as a back up, but I like the idea of waking up to a rattle reel better than sleeping in my truck or in a tent.

I am sure I will know wheter or not it was a good idea after the first night on the ice. I’m only young once right? And this is only a temporaty solution until I win the lottery and buy an Ice Castle.

hmins934

Hey I literally just joined the forum but would like to say that I purposley bought the version of my shack w/o a bench seat for this reason. All i simply do is keep a bag in the car with a very warm sleeping bag and a few quilts. Throw the quilts down as insulators and cusion and crawl in the bag w/ all your gear! never been cold or uncomfortable! For a house like yours… 1) if the seats come out just get a sheet of plywood and 2×4’s to make a removable platform, or 2) redesign the backrests to fold back and put platform over that (same construction tho), or 3) just build the platform to go over the top of normally folded chairs. I have helped make all three and all work very well! PS higher=much MUCH warmer & easier.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Wouldn’t it be easier and more comfortable to just lift up or remove the seats and sleep in the tub itself?

-baring the fact that you’re not 6’5″….

hmins934

Ecactly how I do in mine, since i have no seats. I didn’t know his seat set up tho, so I gave every option I’ve seen work well

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.