whats a good ultra light with a good back bone ?

• jasono00
    cities

i currantly use a ugly stick ultra light dont like how the whole rod is flimsy want an ultra light where only the upper half of the rod is light???

fisherman-andy

TUC’s noodle rods blew me away. The tip was very sensitive. Maybe due to the length of the rods that I looked at. Either way definitely a weapon that needed to be in your fishing arsenal.

TUC also has this rod which is kinda a cross between a noodle and solid blank. Dont know the name or if the rod has a name yet but was told its not the quick tip precision ice noodle. It was an UL rod, call them and find out or stop at the ice show tommorrow to check it out.

shaley
    Milford IA

13 Fishing Wicked is a sweet rod and easy on the pocket book

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Best UL for the $: St. Croix Premier rods, have two of the 28″ models. $25 a pop. Transmits vibration up the blank well. If you want the noodle/spring bobber type of rod, slap on one of frabill’s new titanium spring bobber ($12). Are there better ULs out there? Of course. But if you’re not into spending $60-80, this is a great option. This set up has never let me down. Except for the time I got distracted and put the rod tip into the heater… burnt off the last segment of the rod. Oh well, now it makes a decent bobber rod and it was only 25$ to replace it!

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

Not sure what kind of length you are looking for but the Stopper Lures Whip’r rods are a favorite of mine. I own three of them, excellent soft tip but plenty of backbone. Caught numerous big bass and walleyes along with a couple pike and have had no issues with the rod handling it. And best of all they are 35 bucks.

http://www.stopperlures.com/whipr_rods1.html

Those are some long ice rods.. So, is the primary goal of these longer rods to keep you away from a shallow hole as not to spook the fish?

fisherman-andy

Quote:

13 Fishing Wicked is a sweet rod and easy on the pocket book

If your looking for a nice budget rod also look at the TFO ice rods designed by G Loomis. I thought those were really nice and played around with them at the ice show.

dbright
    Cambridge

Frabill quick tip is one of my favorite panfish rods

icefanatic11
    Birnamwood, WI

I just have grow up fishing with long rods for panfish never use any less than 36 inches anymore. In my opinion it is more comfortable for me to fish with because I stand and hole hop fish plus it gives me more control over the fish when I hook one. They have their benefits but if you fish inside a shelter you have to use shorter rods.

ekruger01

check out the al dente as well from DH Custom Rods….another awesome blank!

bigpike

Quote:

Frabill quick tip is one of my favorite panfish rods

went with one of these and a frabill straight line reel – very impressed with both units….

onepine
    Elk River

+1 for DH Custom. Awesome customer service and a full line of custom rods.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I need to put a plug in for the Jason Mitchell rods in the great bang for the buck category. Typically at $30 and I found them on sale for less quite a bit last year.

For panfish I would typically only bring two Mitchell rods, the 24″ Panfish (light action) and one of the Meatstick models. Great sensitivity and has the backbone you are looking for. These two are very different from each other and some days one would completely out fish the other. For less than $60 you can be totally set up.

One note, a couple years ago when I started ice fishing for more than just purposes I wanted St. Croix as I’m a huge fan. After looking at these in person some of the quality control for the guides just wasn’t great. Don’t know if that’s still case. I started with one Mitchell rod and now that’s all I run except one cheapo bobber rod.

If money is not an issue there are some great suggestions above.

ajw

Quote:

I need to put a plug in for the Jason Mitchell rods in the great bang for the buck category. Typically at $30 and I found them on sale for less quite a bit last year.

For panfish I would typically only bring two Mitchell rods, the 24″ Panfish (light action) and one of the Meatstick models. Great sensitivity and has the backbone you are looking for. These two are very different from each other and some days one would completely out fish the other. For less than $60 you can be totally set up.

One note, a couple years ago when I started ice fishing for more than just purposes I wanted St. Croix as I’m a huge fan. After looking at these in person some of the quality control for the guides just wasn’t great. Don’t know if that’s still case. I started with one Mitchell rod and now that’s all I run except one cheapo bobber rod.

That meatstick is a very nice rod for the money. Excellent tapers on it. Careful while transporting though – those tips are fragile!

tswoboda

Quote:

Does a guide or two being crooked by 15 degrees affect how the rod will perform?

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

Does a guide or two being crooked by 15 degrees affect how the rod will perform?

Maybe, maybe not but I expect more from St. Croix as that’s what I’m using nearly exclusively for open water(3 premiers and 1 avid). When I compared the Croix and Mitchell side by side and at the same money, I went with the one without issues.

Since I started with that first Mitchell rod four years ago I haven’t looked back. I’ve got four different models now. Just as happy with these in winter as I am in summer with the Croix rods.

Disclaimer – Went to Thorne Bros a couple weeks ago to buy a gift for a friend. Decided I needed to buy myself a christmas present so I’ve got a perch sweetheart with outside guides on order. Sometimes I don’t follow my own advice:)

tswoboda

I really don’t understand what the deal with the crooked guides on the SC Premier series is. I bought a 28″ UL and ML about 5 years ago and love them; guides are all straight. Now I look at them in stores and every rod has the last 2 or 3 guides slightly crooked, people have complained about it the last few years and yet they don’t fix the problem. I doubt it would affect the performance at all, but I can definitely understand why people would be deterred from buying a $25 ice rod with crooked guides.

Now, I have used the Jason Mitchell rods and I definitely prefer and recommend the SC Premier rods over JM. The UL is super sensitive and JM just doesn’t have a panfish rod that compares.

If you want a cheaper option that really performs, check out the Frabill Hot Stix 30″ light. $10 and looks like crap, but this rod has a sensitive tip and great backbone. Very underrated IMO.

hmins934

yeah they say that TUC noodle is real great…. I used my brothers once and no way did that 80+ dollar rod out do my good ol shakespeare cajun ice! seriously the cajun is the flimsiest most wimpy 25″ UL I HAVE EVER SEEN! and yet from a 3″ perch to a 16lb pike it made no difference! cant break it! never use anything else, plus its like $15

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.