censorship

• shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

I just believe that life is too short to be bickering over internet drama. if a person doesn’t like something, they can avoid it and be done with it. just my opinion…… oh well.

bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

Well I guess I started this mess, was just a bit P Oed over the censoring of a new product didnt want to see it get out of hand and for that my apologies, not evry forum gives the latitude that IDO dose

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Well I guess I started this mess, was just a bit P Oed over the censoring of a new product didnt want to see it get out of hand and for that my apologies, not evry forum gives the latitude that IDO dose

true, and thats why alot of people post here, the forums move fast, and I like it

shaley
    Milford IA

Theres posts on the BB and 6061 on both IS and HSO, has been for a couple months…

SunnyFishin

Quote:

Theres posts on the BB and 6061 on both IS and HSO, has been for a couple months…

There wasn’t for the longest time. I remember what BK and the OP were referring to…even remember a post which must have been BK called “deleted threads,” thinking how funny the whole thing was about a silly reel.

…then they deleted the “deleted threads,” thread…lol…too classic.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Said the moderator for HSO Muskies still biting shaley?

shaley
    Milford IA

Yes I am a mod on HSO so do know theres no standing order to censor anything other than links and inappropiate language…. Muskie seasons over for me Tim, mothernature and her wind shut me down for my last trip….

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Yeah, seasons over for me too, but what a season it was! Ill look back on this one for a long time! Ill be down in your neck of the woods next weekend looking to ground a 200″ Iowa monster! Good luck this winter!

shaley
    Milford IA

I hope to be on the ice…Had a good run to,fish at home sucked but the MN fish were chomping…good luck on the buck, theres been alot of nice ones taken so far this year…

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Made a post on another site a while back and when looking back at it noticed some of the key words where hi-lighted. Clicked on those words and it sent me to advertisements for products I know nothing about. It was pretty easy to decide not to post on that site anymore.

broman

Quote:

Made a post on another site a while back and when looking back at it noticed some of the key words where hi-lighted. Clicked on those words and it sent me to advertisements for products I know nothing about. It was pretty easy to decide not to post on that site anymore.

Same here. I post there sometimes, but it peeves my that they change the word Craigslist or eBay to point to the HSO store. I’m not linking to those sites, but they change the text. They even modified the wording on on of my posts so that it was not anything near what I said. Deleting my post is one thing, but editing it and changing my words is another.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

The fact that Mods and other people on HSO and IceShanty can come here and defend their policies, not vice-versa, is enough for me to just come here for 99% of my fishing discussions.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

The fact that Mods and other people on HSO and IceShanty can come here and defend their policies, not vice-versa, is enough for me to just come here for 99% of my fishing discussions.

Their hypocrisy knows no bounds!

BBKK
    IA

I just got warned on IS for posting a picture of the richard jig from jammin jigs (an IS sponsor). If I post it again I’m banned. I dont know whats up with that place, its turning into a pile… posts getting deleted because they arent site sponsors, posts of site sponsor lures getting deleted because they resemble a private part…. thank god BK isnt over there or we would all be banned for insulting a member. That place used to be one of THE BEST sites on the web.. fresh topics on ice fishing every day, guys could fool around and have fun. Now its strictly business and if it isnt making money for IS then it cant be posted. I’m done with that site, I’m not renewing my membership this year (first time in 5 years they wont get my money).

For Thanksgiving I am thankful that we all are lucky enough to have a forum like this.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Post Promoted By

gillfisher
    God's country - Wisconsin

Quote:

I just got warned on IS for posting a picture of the richard jig from jammin jigs (an IS sponsor). If I post it again I’m banned. I dont know whats up with that place, its turning into a pile… posts getting deleted because they arent site sponsors, posts of site sponsor lures getting deleted because they resemble a private part…. thank god BK isnt over there or we would all be banned for insulting a member. That place used to be one of THE BEST sites on the web.. fresh topics on ice fishing every day, guys could fool around and have fun. Now its strictly business and if it isnt making money for IS then it cant be posted. I’m done with that site, I’m not renewing my membership this year (first time in 5 years they wont get my money).

For Thanksgiving I am thankful that we all are lucky enough to have a forum like this.

I S does promote the site as a family site so I can see why they would delete your jig post. However it is really strange how they turned into delete Nazi’s this year especially when it comes to 13 fishing and certain members posting about it. There are some other things being deleted as well but they seem to focus on 13 fishing. I’m taking a break from their site as well.

steuben1
    Indiana

I’m tired of getting browbeatin because I fish with a TB $100 rod and that “new” inline reel that I’m not allowed to discuss over there. I had some questions about that reel that I ordered that I’m not allowed to post about and my thread was deleted. I have gotten my fat butt out of bed everyday and gone to work at the same job for 15 years. That’s why I can afford the nicer rods and reels!!

It just seems to me that the people here at IDO are more into ice fishing on a higher level like I am. I am happy here, just wish I lived in Minnesota!!!

bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

AMEN Brother thats just why I started this thread, I know I,am new here but from what I can tell the I D O team has it all, team ido staff and the membership have been gerat, now if I can get some more of the INDIANA boys to come along maybe I,ll see a spot to post about ind. waters

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Lots of those “other” sites are working sales pages. Period. Of course there are some really decent people on those other sites. The best medicine is to not go to where you don’t like the atmosphere.

James and his crew here are professionals. You can see that in WHO they chose for sponsors and you can see that in the discussions found here, many of which might even put their sponsors on the spot. Nobody, sponsors included, will learn if people cannot speak what’s on their minds. I feel that this site is more about teaching and learning than $$$. Can’t really say that about a couple of the other sites being mentioned here.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

People are free to move from site to site, this is after all America. It’s proven that people will gather where they are welcome, and that with in reason can post their opinions and views of products. The only real issues I have come across here was if their was a personal attack on somebody or blatant lies were posted about products. That said I think everybody here plays well for the most part. We all pick on certain guys who have proven they can take it, but it’s always good natured ribbing. Kind of what you do to your best friend or little brother.

I also appreciate that the mods from other sites chip in. Nothing wrong with defending your turf, just try and be accurate about it. I was banned there because I didn’t play well with the “good old boys” club there. I didn’t run down any sponsors, products or people. Just had a different opinion. So you boys enjoy yourselves there, when you need honest unbiased reviews and opinions, stop in. You will get them here.

RealDeal
    MN

I came here because the atmosphere seems pretty good. I was a mod at one of those two sites a number of years ago, and left due to a problem(s) with the ownership. Another of the two sites I left was because a sponsor on the site screwed me on an order I made, I posted about it, and got thrashed for their mistake. I said screw it, and left. I guess I am not much of a ‘good ‘ole boy’. Not too many forums left for upper midwest ice fishing, that are more even keeled. Glad to see how things are here.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Message Boards on the internet have always been about uncensored discussion and sharing things with people freely about a topic people have in common. James had stayed true to this. And he has obviously done it with sponsors who deserve credit too.

I know it sounds like I am kissing butt, but I believe that. If you are going to censor a forum because you don’t want to upset sponsors, then you are not the site for me.

For me if your primary goal is to make money above offer helpful info, then be more like a fishing show. Make the forum a backdrop of your site that is more a webmagazine site. Make articles about info that it about fishing mixed in with your sponsors products. Otherwise people posting on a site driving up numbers and revenue to me are just pawns.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Quote:

Message Boards on the internet have always been about uncensored discussion and sharing things with people freely about a topic people have in common. James had stayed true to this. And he has obviously done it with sponsors who deserve credit too.

I know it sounds like I am kissing butt, but I believe that. If you are going to censor a forum because you don’t want to upset sponsors, then you are not the site for me.

For me if your primary goal is to make money above offer helpful info, then be more like a fishing show. Make the forum a backdrop of your site that is more a webmagazine site. Make articles about info that it about fishing mixed in with your sponsors products. Otherwise people posting on a site driving up numbers and revenue to me are just pawns.

X2 I have no idea what the other sites are that are being talked about in this thread…. and sure as heck don’t wat to know now for sure You mean one site charges you $$$ to be a member ??? I have had my fingers slapped here a few times over the last 9 or so years… and deserved it everytime

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

[quote You mean one site charges you $$$ to be a member ???

By the way G, your friendship dues are delinquent again. I’ll have to start charging interest soon.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

You mean one site charges you $$$ to be a member ???

Oh that site I just have other people copy and paste info and send them to me. At least they are upfront and sell their site like a web application.

triplejdog

Ok, long time lurker here but finally signed up to respond to this one. I really enjoy this site, but lets be totally honest here. All sites are essentially created equal. If this site was any different than the rest, you would not see any ads at all flashing in your face or Ice Team products shoved down your throat. Post DO get regularly deleted here as well as members being banned for trivial reasons. Just like it happens everywhere else. You run into mods that are pretty cool and mods that are jackwads.

If you think James doesn’t steer this site in the direction of his sponsors you are all drinking the kool aid and if for some reason the current relationship was severed you would see the same thing happen with new sponsors and the lemmings would follow right along. I mean heck try to read just ONE post from that guy up on rainy lake without seeing a mention of product name, its so predictable its comical.

As with any fishing forum, just follow the money trail.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Ok, long time lurker here but finally signed up to respond to this one. I really enjoy this site, but lets be totally honest here. All sites are essentially created equal. If this site was any different than the rest, you would not see any ads at all flashing in your face or Ice Team products shoved down your throat. Post DO get regularly deleted here as well as members being banned for trivial reasons. Just like it happens everywhere else. You run into mods that are pretty cool and mods that are jackwads.

If you think James doesn’t steer this site in the direction of his sponsors you are all drinking the kool aid and if for some reason the current relationship was severed you would see the same thing happen with new sponsors and the lemmings would follow right along. I mean heck try to read just ONE post from that guy up on rainy lake without seeing a mention of product name, its so predictable its comical.

As with any fishing forum, just follow the money trail.

OMG, you are so right!! I didn’t notice at first but you are spot on. Take for example this post, James is directing us mindless sheep to buy his sponsors products! , without reading your post, i would have thought he was just happy to get his sleds up and running, but now I can clearly see he is selling me a fishing boat! It’s like one of those hidden sailboat paintings…. Whoa! My mind is blown!!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Ok, long time lurker here but finally signed up to respond to this one.

Talk about transparent.

Its all relative. If you want to go that route, than I think of IDO as the most tolerant of all the sites and it is by a long shot. No one said they don’t make money money off the site.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Incredibly well put.

triplejdog

Well, notice I didn’t say that every post made by James was pushing product. Your example is a good one. But as a whole this site heavily leans towards promoting Ice Force products. Some will say that is because they are the best and I’m not even saying that is false because they have great products, but what I am saying is that EVERY substantial fishing forum across the country is the same way. Not just that Shanty one. Go to em all, Lake State, Angler Insider, Fishing MN (or whatever they call it now), Walleye Central, they all operate the SAME way. This site is no different. Get on the wrong side of a mods belief on any site and you will find the door quickly.

And thanks for the warm welcome mplspug, I do appreciate it.

Back to lurking I guess.

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.