censorship

• bigdaddyg
    north central indiana

Just try to make a post about the black betty 6061 or 13fishing on that other site (shanty) and see how fast its taken down, whats up with that or should I say not all forums the same

iceaholic

Lol
    Post it on hso and it be gone twice as fast. Sponsors is what allows these forums to exist. Especially as we don’t pay for these memberships.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

That’s absolutely ridiculous and one thing James Holst should be commended for. He does not stand in the way of discussing any fishing gear on this site. The more other sites disallow it the more I appreciate the freedom here.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Post deleted by Suzuki

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Settle down Micheal! You kiss your wife with that mouth???? LOL

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hope all will have a Great Thanksgiving and at some point tomorrow take stock of all there is to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to all at HSO, Ice Shanty and of course to all of our friends here at Ido too!

Now if you will excuse me, I’m going to fight with the FW on who gets to eat the skin.

ajw

It really is pretty lame. Its our topics, comments, and questions that get hits on any forum website. Thats what the sponsors pay for – views!

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Post Deleted by HSO or Ice Shanty.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

do you guys have the same issue in the Ice Team section of HSO? just curious as the Ice Team section is hosted by HSO, but ran under their own set of rules, and discrimination against certain brands could slow down the participation.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

do you guys have the same issue in the Ice Team section of HSO? just curious as the Ice Team section is hosted by HSO, but ran under their own set of rules, and discrimination against certain brands could slow down the participation.

This isn’t that SH!@ hole! So who gives a rip?

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

This isn’t that SH!@ hole! So who gives a rip?

really? I can understand a little frustration, but we will not grow as a community if we intend to keep dividing ourselves. just an honest question, not trying to stir the pot.

Keith Fischer

Quote:

It really is pretty lame. Its our topics, comments, and questions that get hits on any forum website. Thats what the sponsors pay for – views!

It’s a CLAM’S World over there, best not be knocking any
    Chinese junk!

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

Quote:

Chinese junk!

um, why are you knocking on clam? they support ice fishermen, thats a bonus. I have heard that their customer service is second to none. I have a hard time trying to understand the disrespect towards any brand, especially one that pushes forward in support.

I think I am starting to see why the topics at those other sites are getting closed down.

iceaholic

Ice Team is all Clam products.
    They really don’t tolerate any other products, which is why discussion there is rather slow. Most of the posters are by their pro staff.
    It is frustrating to get censored. Especially with free speech that we are so used to. But just remember its their site and they can do what they want with it. If you don’t like, don’t go on it and come over to IDO! That’s the only way to make the point by reducing views and site visits.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

They really don’t tolerate any other products, which is why discussion there is rather slow. Most of the posters are by their pro staff.
    It is frustrating to get censored. Especially with free speech that we are so used to. But just remember its their site and they can do what they want with it. If you don’t like, don’t go on it and come over to IDO! That’s the only way to make the point by reducing views and site visits.

Good point. They might not like to tolerate competing products, but I bet they can be brought up if you are respectful about the posting. But it is their website and they can run it how they like. I just don’t see the need to be disrespectful about it tho.

With that being said, I don’t go to burger king and ask them to tell me about the big mac, if you catch my drift.

STEVES
    New Richmond, Wi

Quote:

Hope all will have a Great Thanksgiving and at some point tomorrow take stock of all there is to be thankful for.

Happy Thanksgiving to all at HSO, Ice Shanty and of course to all of our friends here at Ido too!

Now if you will excuse me, I’m going to fight with the FW on who gets to eat the skin.

Post Deleted Because I Already Ate The Skin…

BBKK
    IA

I dont know anything about Ice Team, but I agree that the shanty is terrible about it. The mods are on a power trip and delete anything that is not a site sponsor. When called out about deleting they said they wouldnt delete them anymore, so they move them to a hidden board that nobody looks in. I spoke out about it (Asked what the deal was) and got muted by the mods.

This site has its sponsors too, and the same sort of stuff goes on… but at least here the posts dont get deleted or hidden, you just get a friendly PM from BK asking who ate the turkey skin.

Edited by my fingers

icetroller
    Ludington, Michigan

They are only hurtimg themselves by not allowing free speech. There are many good products out there by many different manufacturers. Those of us using those products can and do give valuable unbiased feedback for all to learn from. That includes product comparisons and value rating. If anyone asks me what I think about a particular product they will get an honest answer regardless whether I am on their pro staff or not.

fisherman-andy

LOL, I have been banned temporarily at them other sites before in the past arguing the importance of an unbias review or linking to a product to show more info about it. Whats worse is when you cant get a honest response or review of any product.

The thing is everyone pushes and feeds those site so much information yet they arent allow to self promote or talk of non sponsored vendors and products. Yes it may be unfair to the paying sponsors but its also robs the people who support the site with good information and competition diversity. It be nice if they allow or had a small subforum without the censoring for those who cannot afford to be big time sponsors but yet push the site with good information.

shane123
    Anthon, Iowa

Quote:

I dont know anything about Ice Team, but I agree that the shanty is terrible about it. The mods are on a power trip and delete anything that is not a site sponsor. When called out about deleting they said they wouldnt delete them anymore, so they move them to a hidden board that nobody looks in. I spoke out about it (Asked what the deal was) and got muted by the mods.

This site has its sponsors too, and the same sort of stuff goes on… but at least here the posts dont get deleted or hidden, you just get a friendly PM from BK asking who ate the turkey skin.

Edited by my fingers

I spoke to the mod of the Iowa section earlier tonight about rules regarding topics and discussions of products that were not from their sponsors, and was reassured that as long as you were not making blatant attempts to push one product, your post would seem unbiased and not fall victim to deletion. His views were that he would like to keep the forum unbiased as much as possible. My word of advice when dealing with anything that may be on the touchy side of endorsement is to proof read your post before you finalize it. I, like everyone on this planet, have our likes and dislikes, and can fall victim to showing passion towards things we prefer. If that is the case, the best way to compensate for that opinion is to show how you came up with that bias, ex: I really like product A because it does this and it doesnt do that. Before, when I had product B, i had issues with such and such. Or I never tried product A because I couldn’t justify spending $$$$ for that item, so I tried product B and have been so satisfied I haven’t felt the need to try anything different.

Sometimes self-reflection can be a god-send, just sayin….

Keith Fischer

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Chinese junk!

um, why are you knocking on clam? they support ice fishermen, thats a bonus. I have heard that their customer service is second to none. I have a hard time trying to understand the disrespect towards any brand, especially one that pushes forward in support.

I think I am starting to see why the topics at those other sites are getting closed down.

Don’t know about you but I have had experience with Clams
    customer service and it wasn’t good. I totally understand
    there will be problems with any product but they’ve admitted
    to selling substandard gear and I got stuck with some, fool
    me once, as they say.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

Lol
    Post it on hso and it be gone twice as fast. Sponsors is what allows these forums to exist. Especially as we don’t pay for these memberships.

that is not true of HSO. we welcome open discussions on everything as long as the forum rules are followed. the big one people fail to remember is that there is no linking to outside sites either sponsors or non sponsors. you can state product names and places to buy it just don’t link to their site.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

the ice team section has the same rules as the rest of the sections do. they will openly discuss any brand.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, no matter what site you follow. we all have the same goal and that is to have fun and share information.

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

Quote:

LOL, I have been banned temporarily at them other sites before in the past arguing the importance of an unbias review or linking to a product to show more info about it. Whats worse is when you cant get a honest response or review of any product.

The thing is everyone pushes and feeds those site so much information yet they arent allow to self promote or talk of non sponsored vendors and products. Yes it may be unfair to the paying sponsors but its also robs the people who support the site with good information and competition diversity. It be nice if they allow or had a small subforum without the censoring for those who cannot afford to be big time sponsors but yet push the site with good information.

it was the posting the links to other sites that probably got you the temporary hold. alot of people try to put in links to other sites, both sponsors and non sponsor and the same thing happens. normally the post will stay but the link will be edited out. the reasoning behind no links is because we feel people once given the name of the product can do their own research and checking out of that products site.

Quote:

. I totally understand there will be problems with any product but they’ve admitted to selling substandard gear and I got stuck with some, fool
    me once, as they say.

Too true. I would hate to be in the market for a CLAM Command Post or other HUB popup fish house and not know the differences between the 2010, 2011 and 2012 offerings.

I’ve had a lot of posts deleted by the blueshirts for barbed comments free of outside links, only one on this site (so far)!

BBKK
    IA

Quote:

Quote:

Edited by my fingers

I spoke to the mod of the Iowa section earlier tonight about rules regarding topics and discussions of products that were not from their sponsors, and was reassured that as long as you were not making blatant attempts to push one product, your post would seem unbiased and not fall victim to deletion. His views were that he would like to keep the forum unbiased as much as possible. My word of advice when dealing with anything that may be on the touchy side of endorsement is to proof read your post before you finalize it. I, like everyone on this planet, have our likes and dislikes, and can fall victim to showing passion towards things we prefer. If that is the case, the best way to compensate for that opinion is to show how you came up with that bias, ex: I really like product A because it does this and it doesnt do that. Before, when I had product B, i had issues with such and such. Or I never tried product A because I couldn’t justify spending $$$$ for that item, so I tried product B and have been so satisfied I haven’t felt the need to try anything different.

Sometimes self-reflection can be a god-send, just sayin….

Shane with all due respect, the Iowa mod is more of a junior mod. He has only been a mod for a year and is not apart of the group that does the deleting/moving of topics in the general section. Those guys have been mods for 5-10 years. I will say he is totally different than the rest, he is easy going and nice to talk to.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Its not “their” site. It’s “his” site.

Monti, dont go away mad. Just go away.

fisherman-andy

Quote:

Quote:

it was the posting the links to other sites that probably got you the temporary hold. alot of people try to put in links to other sites, both sponsors and non sponsor and the same thing happens. normally the post will stay but the link will be edited out. the reasoning behind no links is because we feel people once given the name of the product can do their own research and checking out of that products site.

LOL… I am fully aware of the rules, long time 10yr+ member there. I chosed to simply challenge it then.

I was temp banned for arguing or supplying a single one time link to the mfg of a “single product” to provide info about it. In this case a specific type of canoe. I have seen all sorts of post over the years and to be honest them other sites will break their own rules and push their own way regardless when they want to do so whether its a sponsor product or not.

I can understand if a site chooses to limit or not support non sponsors or vendors and regulate multiple attempts at self promotion. But to link information to a mfg or a product as info? Its not like I was constantly pushing it over and over and giving out phone numbers. Not even close. I understand the Sponsors help support the site. But so does the members of the forum. There should be some minimal lee-way in between.

How do you feel not being able to link sites such as:

Marcumtech.com or iceforce.com to find more about the LX9?

Or h’bout: http://www.dnr.state.mn.us

Given part you can get away with nuetral links occasionally.

Then you also get the sponsored treatment when you ask about info or show interested in product like the LX7. Instead giving an honest review you get: The FL22 is the best, I always use Vexilar. Cant go wrong with it??? What does Vexilar have to do with the original posters thread of asking info and opinions of the LX7?

Given part, I dont think IDO deserves to be a dump ground for the likes of these complaints either. So imma give this a rest. Just enjoy the availability of outdoor forums we have. I rather be out fishing then complaining…

Richard Cole
    Indiana

Interesting comments fellas, made for some good reading.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.