Strikemaster Honda or Lazer Pro

• DakotaOutdoors
    Central, ND

Looking at buying a new auger before first ice. Down to choice between solo lazer pro or new Honda 4-stroke. Love the idea of no gas mixing but afraid of potential lack of power during the few times a year when I put on the 10″ auger. Anybody see the new Hondas run under load? Any suggestions on which to choose.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Welcome Dakota!

You’re going to want to go with the Lazer Pro if you have an interest in putting a 10″ bit on it, at least for this year. The Honda 4-stroke has been rigorously tested for the 8, and is currently being tested for the 10, but they want to make sure it’s rock-solid to turn a bit that size.

Joel

ajs
    Mellen,WI

I second the lazer pro it is the work horse of the strikemaster line up. 10 inch bit should be no problem.

i like the idea of letting someone else find the weakness in a new product.

Although i did blow the trannsmission on the lazer pro

Ajs

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Saw it drill thru ice blocks at Thorne bros. I’d get the pro if you are a high# hole puncher.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Quote:

i like the idea of letting someone else find the weakness in a new product.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Without starting a new post what is the word on the new ION electric auger?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I’ve heard it is good for 40 holes, weighs 23 lbs and is powered by a Lithium Ion battery pack. Outside of that I don’t have any firsthand experience punching holes with one.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

Quote:

I’ve heard it is good for 40 holes, weighs 23 lbs and is powered by a Lithium Ion battery pack. Outside of that I don’t have any firsthand experience punching holes with one.

Dude. That’s exactly what they say in the adds!

icetroller
    Ludington, Michigan

Really looking forward to hearing more about the hondas. I have been pretty impressed with the Tanakas except when we smoked a gear and it took 6 months to get it fixed. I gotta believe Strikemaster would be right on it.

highsparks

I picked up the new Honda Lite last week . I cant wait to get it on the ice . Its so quiet and easy starting I was sold . I plan to run a 6″ bit on it so power is no issue . I second the Lazer Pro for a mean lean drilling machine . It truely is a workhorse ….

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Dude. That’s exactly what they say in the adds!

I chose my words very carefully. How’s anyone to know anything else until they’ve been on the ice. The guys that have used them are factory guys. As for first hand knowledge from those outside of that circle… first ice will be the first real test.

artifishal

I have only seen the Honda Fourstroke at the Thorne Portable Mod. GTG and all I can say is that it is super quiet.

I own the Strikemaster Lazer Pro and I absolutely love it. It has plenty of power to turn a ten inch bit and you can really pop off a lot of holes with the eight inch bit (I can only imagine what a 6″ is like ). I honestly don’t think you can go wrong with either auger, but if you’re looking for an auger that will turn the 10″ bit, then the Lazer Pro is the auger you’re looking for

steuben1
    Indiana

At this point I don’t think I would buy another Strikemaster auger. I am having problems with my Lazer Mag and you can’t call Strikemaster anymore to ask questions from a tech. You could about a year ago cause I called them from the ice one day! My lazer mag is at an “authorized dealer” and the dealer is telling me the carb is the problem and it will take them 4 weeks to get a carb in. NICE. Thanks Rapala

ajw

Quote:

At this point I don’t think I would buy another Strikemaster auger. I am having problems with my Lazer Mag and you can’t call Strikemaster anymore to ask questions from a tech. You could about a year ago cause I called them from the ice one day! My lazer mag is at an “authorized dealer” and the dealer is telling me the carb is the problem and it will take them 4 weeks to get a carb in. NICE. Thanks Rapala

Id be taking it to a local small engines shop. Turn around shouldnt take as long, and will probly be cheaper. Also less likely to screw you

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Where are you located? Rapala has the same service tech guy working for them as did Strikemaster. I believe his name is Jason, they also have a repair shop across the parking lot from the old strikemaster headquarters in Big Lake.

H20 service center

steuben1
    Indiana

All the way in Indiana. I just picked my auger up from the “authorized dealer”. I ordered parts today to fix it on my own. Unit has not power under load. Starts and runs fine, but will bog down when throttle is applied. I ordered an ignition coil for it because I bet that is the issue.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

I had a LM last season do the same thing and it was a 2 dollar fix it. Bad plug would run under idle and not hot when you give it some go juice. I do like both the LMP and LM they are very hard units to compair side by side.

jmarksman
    Chequamegon Bay Apostle Islands, WI

I had a LM last season do the same thing and it was a 2 dollar fix it. Bad plug would run under idle and not hot when you give it some go juice. I do like both the LMP and LM they are very hard units to compair side by side.

highsparks

John makes a good point , it may also be a plugged fuel line or carb port . Last summer I stored my auger all summer with gas in it . About the middle of september I tried to start it . It fired right up , but bogged when I gave it gas . I had started it several times through the summer with no issues . I took carb off and it had some gelled fuel , a slime of sorts in the carb . Once I cleaned that out it ran great .

steuben1
    Indiana

Well we will find out next week. I ordered a carb rebuild kit and a new ignition coil. Carb needs rebuilt anyway. Still disappointed I can’t call SM and talk to a tech though. Its all good, I will get her running. Besides, my LX7 will be here tomorrow so life is good!!

Rope
    Kansas

Call H2OUTFITTERS 763 262 2628
    Authorized Strikermaster Repair Center

jetro
    Mayer, MN

I’d bet a carb kit & clean is all you need.

Quote:

All the way in Indiana. I just picked my auger up from the “authorized dealer”. I ordered parts today to fix it on my own. Unit has not power under load. Starts and runs fine, but will bog down when throttle is applied. I ordered an ignition coil for it because I bet that is the issue.

steuben1
    Indiana

Well, I ordered the carb kit and ignition coil. I had the auger in my shop and said the heck. I tore down the entire motor. I must have 75 pieces laying on my bench. I really wanted to see if the pistons were scored or if there was any carbon buildup. There wasn’t. By the time I put the new carb kit in and the ignition coil, she should be a screamer!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.