Line on the Ice Reels Yet?

• Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Who has spooled up already? What did you put on? I’m typically a big fan of copolys, and have been a P-line guy for years. I’ve been trying other copolys every year, and still can’t find one I like as much as the P-line. Any other recommendations?

Joel

ajw

I spooled up a couple walleye rods with 6# nanofil hopefully i like it as much for ice as i do open water. I wanna spool a couple other rods with P line as i hear alot of good things. You get the floroice right?

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

The florice and floroclear are the same line just repackaged. I’ve heard ith nanofil is brittle when it’s cold??

ajw

Thanks for the pline heads up. I did the freezer test last night on the nanofil – two 10 inch pieces one piece part way frozen into ice tray – other just sitting in there. Neither seemed brittle and i couldnt break either. Ill be running flouro leaders with this stuff too

ajs
    Mellen,WI

I picked up 7 spools of vicious panfish ice last week but havent had the time to respool. Maybe tonight and i need to pick up some 5lb power pro for jiggin in the shanty on superior.

Ajs

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Quote:

Who has spooled up already? What did you put on? I’m typically a big fan of copolys, and have been a P-line guy for years. I’ve been trying other copolys every year, and still can’t find one I like as much as the P-line. Any other recommendations?

Joel

Spooled up this weekend. Pline for me.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m thinking this year I’m going to try the Sufix Ice Magic too. In the product literature they talk about an additive to the line that sheds water better…..which is always nice when hole hopping if it works well. Will report back after I’ve had it on the spool awhile!

Anybody try this line yet?

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

I really like the light Suffix for pannies. Been using the Hi Vis the past few years, and will be sticking with it.

Jake_A

I am going to second the Sufix Hi-viz. Had that spooled on one rod to start last year. By the end of the year-all 8 set-ups for panfish-mainly crappies- were spooled with it. How well it detects bites is phenomenal! The three pound is about as light as I will go. Lost some giant crappies on the backwaters of Pool 5 last year because of it

ekruger01

Third on the suffix from me….I like it, I actually ran it in the 1 lb all winter the first your I waqs able to find it and didint have a single breakoff all year, granted the reels I was using had a smooth drag. I have since gone back up to the 3 lb since my vision isnt what it used to be.

Also on a side note, I have some blue UV lights in my shack that I turn on to charge lures and illuminate the ice by my feet instead of a blinding white lite…..the uv lights up the line like a lazer beam…..works great for watching the line for the bite…

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I am not respooling. A little Ardent line butter and it should be fine. I like the nice spring effect the coiled line gives me when I jig.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Thanks for the pline heads up. I did the freezer test last night on the nanofil – two 10 inch pieces one piece part way frozen into ice tray – other just sitting in there. Neither seemed brittle and i couldnt break either. Ill be running flouro leaders with this stuff too

I tried nanofil when it came out. 10lb snapped almost every hookset. Junk IMO.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Gamma ESP is my favorite. Reminds me of pline with less memory. Pline is a close second though.

jasono00
    cities

Im trying Northland bionic ice this year #3 for panfish, #6 for walleye rods. Hope the ice line works as well as this stuff does for me in the summer chasing walleyes.

icetroller
    Ludington, Michigan

Been using Suffix the last couple years and its been great. The 2lb has cost me a couple jigs but the 3 and 4 hasnt popped other than getting hung in a crib, evem then the hook usually breaks first lol

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

Just spooled 2 reels up with 3lb ice magic the other day. I need to get on the water soon.

Ingy

Anyone use the Lindy ice line that came out last year?
    I got some 3# free but never tried it. I just put it on my Eagle Claw multiplier but haven’t tried it out yet.
    Otherwise, I’m a P-line fan as well. 3# for panfish, 5# for walleye.

Ingy

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

I tried Northlands ice line… its ok. good enough to get the job done. I havent seen Lindys line used yet or had the opportunity to spool it on, but if I were a betting man I’d bet it would perform similar to the bionic ice.

Eyecatcher01

I’m partial to 3lb pline floroice and asso heavy 2 and 3 lb. I tried nanofil last year in 2/3/4 lb…the 2 lb I think is junk cause breaks way to easy due to fraying. The 3lb is pretty good and the 4lb is good but does retain some memory. If tying a leader to nanofil make certain it is a perfect knot.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

P-line for me (mostly what i use) .. Suffix if i need a hi vis line. 3lb for panfish, 7 for eyes

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.