Black Betty Fly reels.

• aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Was just at Thorne Bros. and they have a whole rack of these reels there. Just Sayin.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Was it the multiplier reel or the other one?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Was just at Thorne Bros. and they have a whole rack of these reels there. Just Sayin.

I’m 99.999999% sure that’s not the multiplier.

The “regular” black betty reels are openly available from many, many retailers.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

I’m 99.999999% sure that’s not the multiplier.

No need to make the trip then. Thanks James

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong reel. They’re not the multiplier.

Oh the confusion that name is causing. My understanding is the proper name for the multiplier is the 6061 Ice Ninja.

aquajoe
    Minnetonka, MN.

Yes James is right it is not the multiplier and the name thing is kind of annoying.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Ya, I was just there and tried one of those and was wondering what the hype was for.

Now I get it.

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

picked up a Black Betty from Gander Mountain in Bemidji the other day, I like the feel and the build of this reel. Although I’m pretty much a fly reel newbie, I love the look and feel of this reel. If anything, it will make those big panfish pictures look a little cooler this winter lol

lakedocktor

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Wrong reel. They’re not the multiplier.

Oh the confusion that name is causing. My understanding is the proper name for the multiplier is the 6061 Ice Ninja.

James, they are going to stick with “Black Betty 6061” as the official name. And yes, they will all ship the same time. The next 10-15 days the parts are being manufactured and then air shipped for the St Paul show. Retailers will be receiving their orders around the same time.

Here a a couple of the new and final specs.

-Official name: Black Betty 6061 (6061 refers to the aluminum CNC machined material used in the construction)

-R/L interchangeable, but some technical skill is required as it needs to be taken apart. There is a possibility some will be produced in right hand and some in left hand.

-Final gear ratio is 2.7:1 (19″ of line pickup when properly spooled)

The reason for a limited number this year, 500, is due to the intended release wasn’t supposed to be until next year. The original goal is to have 200 for the ice show, but haven’t heard if this will still be the case with all of the interest from retailers. Next year there shouldn’t be a problem with availability.

anderson_dc
    Pleasant Hill, IA

I think they really dropped the ball on branding when they called their multiplier reel the Black Betty 6061. It’s creating way too much confusion for consumers.

My two cents.

lakedocktor

Personally, I think the confusion was created more by the rumors that were passed from the hype. Once the 6061 actually hits the shelves and people start getting their hands on it, the confusion will go away. There is a huge difference between the Black Betty and the Black Betty 6061.

Everywhere you look, there are products that are branded off another existing model. Take Clam for example. They have the Nanook and the Nanook TC as well as the Yukon and Yukon TC. Strikemaster has the Lazer Mag and the Lazer Pro. Point being, we have become accustomed to differentiate from a “base model” to a “luxury model” with a simple name tagged to a product. While 13 Fishing will advertise and market this as the Black Betty 6061, we as customers will more than likely refer to it as the 6061.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

I’m just trying to figure out the best Fly reel for under $50 to pick up for this season. Its nice to see there is a little more to choose from this year.

I don’t anticipate using it any deeper than 15′, so multiplier isn’t as important. For me I want the line to spool out without too much effort, if any at all. A decent drag might be nice just incase something bigger than a panfish gets on. I also want it to be as smooth as possible.

I’ll be watching this thread close. I don’t like being a bleeding edge early adopter. I prefer other people to find out something sucks first.

jim-uran
    Mahnomen County, Mn

I’ll have three fly type reels to use this year, two ice spoolers from Clam and the Black Betty… First time I will be using them on a daily basis. I’d say from what I felt out of the reels by playing with them is that the Black Betty is pretty solid, and a decent buy. I think it’s worth the money even if you aren’t too darn sure on what you are looking for.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.