Perch Sweetheart vs Walleye Sweetheart

• smackthewalleyes
    South Dakota

Alright, I have been debating between a perch sweetheart and a walleye sweetheart for a while now. First off, I understand that the perch is best with applications up to probably 1/4 oz and the walleye is great for 1/2 oz and heavier. I currently have a St Croix Legend ML and a ST Croix Legend MH. Obviously, I use my St. Croix ML for lighter applications and St. Croix MH for the larger presentations. I like these rods, but I purchased a power noodle and absolutely love it for pan fishing so now I think I need one for walleye fishing also. One big factor is that I really like spring bobbers on my rods. Although the feel is important also, I am just more confident having a spring bobber and seem to catch more fish while using one. Does Thorne make a spring bobber that would work on the perch and walleye sweethearts? I am assuming the Tripwire ML is still too light? I am looking for something that would be similar to the Heavy St. Croix spring bobber. Please fill me in with any information or suggestions you guys may have. I don’t like to horse any fish, but I still like to have enough back bone to get that good hook set in the 20 foot plus depth range. Thanks for the help.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

If you are having the rod built, specify a 5mm tip-top and have them insert one of their perch weight coil springs in the lighter rod and and a walleye weight spring in the heavier rod. If you think St. Croix springs are nice, the Thorne springs blow them away. Like any thru-the-spring spring bobber, these excel in a heated environment and will ice up used outside when its real cold. Icing is the only drawback I have ever seen in the Thorne springs.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I’d go with the perch sweetheart. The walleye SH is nice but I find myself only using it for blade baits and bigger darters. If you like the st. Croix springs have thorns build your rod with the st. Croix spring. I wouldn’t use the tripwire as its made out of titanium and when it’s cold it doesn’t bend back straight. I fished with Lonnie late December on Mille lacs and he let me use one of the first tripwires and that was a huge drawback to the rod.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I fished with Lonnie late December on Mille lacs and he let me use one of the first tripwires and that was a huge drawback to the rod.

I don’t like the tripwire rods either. I’d much rather use a noodle.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Quote:

I fished with Lonnie late December on Mille lacs and he let me use one of the first tripwires and that was a huge drawback to the rod.

I don’t like the tripwire rods either. I’d much rather use a noodle.

It was a good idea unfortunately with the materials they used its just not very applicable to ice trolling. I’m actually pretty excited about the new Tuned Up Custom rod line coming out! I used a few of them last year and they were sweet. Now I’ve heard they’re adding to the line up. Can’t wait

smackthewalleyes
    South Dakota

I should have clarified. I meant the tripwire medium light strike indicator to put on the sweetheart. Thanks a lot for the info!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

I should have clarified. I meant the tripwire medium light strike indicator to put on the sweetheart. Thanks a lot for the info!

I’m not familiar with that?? If its made of titanium though I’d stay away. Like I said you can have Thorne build your rod with a St. Croix style spring

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Why not add your own St. Croix Spring Bobber, I have made one for all of my rods. All you need is the following.

#8 one legged rod guide from local tackle shop
    1/8″ ID rubber Grommet from local Hardware store
    St. Croix Spring
    Super Glue

I super Glue the one legged guide to the rod just to hold it while the epoxy that I put on over the leg dries.
    Epoxy

You can even make your own springs if you want.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=204393.msg2010999#msg2010999

smackthewalleyes
    South Dakota

Well, put the official order in this morning! Thanks for the information. Also, would like to point out that Lonnie at Thorne Bros was MORE than willing to help me out with all of my dumb questions. He was very quick to respond through e-mail and was very helpful. Below is what I went with.

26 inch Thorne Bros Custom Perch Sweetheart
    5 inch sweetheart handle
    STEALTH REC outside guides
    2 inch ML Tripwire Strike indicator (they come standard 3 inches but I wanted it to hold a bit more weight)

Now to hurry up and wait! ha ha.

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

Tim, can you tell me more about the “Tuned Up” line of custom rods. I have never heard of them and looking to up my arsenal this winter. Any information would be greatly appreciated. – Quintin

High_Cap
    St. Paul MN

I have heard they have 6 new rods coming out for the ice fishing season.
    Check them out online I have a few of their rods and they are really nice.

I know they are on facebook as well.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I started using the tuned up customs at the beginning of last ice season and really liked the sensitivity and actions of the rods. I guess if I had to compair them to a rod it’d be the perch sweetheart with a quicker tip. They’re built with quality components like rec Recoil guides good cork handles and wrapped neatly with quality epoxy work.
    I’ve been hearing about they’re new line up of rods coming out that I’m told will include two panfish rods which should double nicely as awesome perch sticks and a couple of heavier options for walleyes. I’ve also been told they’ve gone to single foot rec Recoil guides which doesn’t sound like a big deal but any time you cut weight on a ice rod that’s a bonus! John and Adam from tuned up are great guys and they’re obsessed with ice fishing and they’re rods show it.

tucrs
    NW Metro

Thanks Tim that is correct two panfish rods.
    6 ice rods total.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I started using the tuned up customs at the beginning of last ice season and really liked the sensitivity and actions of the rods. I guess if I had to compair them to a rod it’d be the perch sweetheart with a quicker tip. They’re built with quality components like rec Recoil guides good cork handles and wrapped neatly with quality epoxy work.
    I’ve been hearing about they’re new line up of rods coming out that I’m told will include two panfish rods which should double nicely as awesome perch sticks and a couple of heavier options for walleyes. I’ve also been told they’ve gone to single foot rec Recoil guides which doesn’t sound like a big deal but any time you cut weight on a ice rod that’s a bonus! John and Adam from tuned up are great guys and they’re obsessed with ice fishing and they’re rods show it.

I’ve fished with them as have most of the guys I fish with. Truth be told it was Cal that turned me on to them. These guys make some very good rods for the ice crowd and deserve a look if you’re looking for a new rod or two.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.