Ice Auger question

• curt66973
    Rochester mn

So iam thinking on getting a Gas powered ice auger. debating on getting the 8 inch or the 10 inch.
    someone told me that on some Minnesota lakes and Western Wisconsin lakes its illegal to use a 10 inch.
    is this true?

bigpike

This is a copy paste off the Wis DNR web sight

When ice fishing, no more than three lines may be used at any one time. Each line may contain no more than two hooks (single, double or treble) or two artificial baits. Holes cut for ice fishing cannot be more than 12 inches in diameter. Tip-ups must be identified with the name and address of the user, and must be in constant visual contact of the person using them.

Sharon
    SE Metro

I didn’t see anything in the MN reg book regarding hole size. It does say that:

Two lines may be used through the ice (other than on designated trout lakes and streams).
    Ice anglers must remain within sight of their lines or within 200 feet of their tip-up.

But not much else.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

A 8″ hole cuts a lot faster and puts a lot less wear on the engine. It also weighs less. I don’t see any reason for a 10″ hole. I don’t know of any fish in our area that will not fit thru a 8″ hole.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

A 8″ hole cuts a lot faster and puts a lot less wear on the engine. It also weighs less. I don’t see any reason for a 10″ hole. I don’t know of any fish in our area that will not fit thru a 8″ hole.

That is a good point!

beck
    Menomonie, WI

x2 on the 8″ augers.

cat-stevens
    Rochester,MN

Quote:

I don’t see any reason for a 10″ hole.

Unless you plan on stashing many things in your ice hole up to and including small children, I would stick with an 8″ auger…

onestout
    Hudson, WI

if your going for bigger fish like walleye and northern a 10″ is a lot nicer. I’ve lost a few nice fish from not being able to get them to turn their head and come up an 8″ hole. Not as big a deal when the ice is thin and you can reach down and grab them but when it gets thick there isn’t a good way to get to them. I use an 8″ but am looking for a 10″ bit as well.

stretchout
    Menomonie, WI

10″ holes and kids just don’t mix. Not that wet feet won’t happen with an 8″ hole, but that’s where it ends.

I’ve only caught one fish that I wished I had a 10″ hole, and that was on Rainy Lake with Mr. Granrud!

big_g
    Isle, MN

These are many of the reasons I run a 9″

outdoors4life
    Stillwater, MN

Quote:

10″ holes and kids just don’t mix. Not that wet feet won’t happen with an 8″ hole, but that’s where it ends.

Yup! I experienced a scary moment when my son fell into a hole that someone else drilled then covered with slush. My 2 year old fell down all the way to the arm pits!

10 inchers also have a way of swallowing up gear. Most flashers will not go in an 8 inch hole but a 10 inch they will go.

kroger3
    blaine mn

Panfish I go 8″ because a nice crappie can turn around in a 10″ hole in the blink of an eye and leave you no chance to grab it! Tip ups when its cold I go with a 8″ because a round insulated tip up it just under 10″ diameter. When ice trolling for walleyes we go 8″ for less fatigue and quicker cuts when drilling a ton of holes in a day. The Minneapolis lakes your limited to a 10″ max and most 10’s cut a hair bigger and I have been check and my holes been measured out there. The permanent shack I will go 10″ so I can float a beer while fishing and as hole shrinks you have alot longer before you need to redrill it… Go 8″!

jetro
    Mayer, MN

Your somebody is misinformed. I run 8″ hand auger for early ice and 9″ & 10″ drills on the Solo pro. The ten is for late thick ice on LOTW and Lake Winnipeg. When there is 50+ inches of ice you need some space.

sandmannd

Go with 8″. Lighter, faster and won’t swallow children. I’ve never had a need for a 10″

taz
    Frederic wi

Quote:

These are many of the reasons I run a 9″

X2
    I use a 9″ for LOTW and fishing trips and use an 8″ for around home.

buckshot
    Rochester, MN

8″ is all you need, I have seen lots of big pike and northerns come through an 8″ hole.
    I suppose if you are fishing Lakers or something where there is a real potential to get a huge fish a 10″ might be good but I have pulled 28″ walleyes through an 8″ hole with no problems.

An 8 inch is also a lot less work than a 10, they are lighter and cut faster.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

6″ for panfish, less room for them to turn around. 8″ for larger fish.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

I would say 8 unless your on LOTW or up in that area. Even then 8 will work

foofer

8 in. most common size easiest to get replacement parts(blades,augers,etc.)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.