VIDEO – Lake Winnibigoshish Tullies – On Ice #0027

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

What do you get when you take 7 or 8 hard core ice anglers from In-Depth Outdoors and drop them on a hot tullibee bite? Fast action and lots of laughs! Filmed February 22, 2012 on Lake Winnibigoshish near Grand Rapids MN the under-appreciated but ever so tasty tullibee made for a great morning out of High Banks Resort.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Show of hands, how many have fished for the ‘bee? I’ve caught them by accident on walleye gear but never really gave them much thought. I used my bluegill rod and #2 and had a gas. They fight hard and when you’re on the school you’re basically catching them one after another. I’m not saying I would fish them every day out but they were a fun change of pace.

07lotwchamp
    Andover, Mn

James, I have had very good luck up on “The Pond” last couple years in March targeting the “Bee” good times, Like you say fast action with a great battle with the correct set-up. Blue and silver kastmaster loaded up with waxies. I’ve heard from a good family friend that own’s a resort up there best “Bee” class they’ve had in a long time.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Caught a few on LOTW last year. There a blast!!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I’ll raise my hand..

Last year on Leech the Perch were not cooperating so we switched over to Tullies….Had a BLAST!

I used a CJ&S Slip Dropper rig with a Diamond jig 18″ below,add a couple of waxes and your golden…

They are excellent smoked!

The kids had a great time too!

Chris Raymond
    Keweenaw Peninsula, MI

They’re one of the primary species that I chase on Keweenaw Bay (we call them herring over here). Our usual size runs in the low 20″‘s. Unfortunately this is the first year since 1943 when ice has not formed on the bay. FWIW, they’re best eaten fresh, pickled or smoked…freezing breaks down the flesh too much in my opinion.

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I’ve caught ’em and got some real nice ones on LOTW early this month mixed in with the Walleyes and Saugers. The thread reminded me that I had some smoked ones in the fridge that a friend just dropped off today. Man it tastes just great!!!!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Never have but it sure looks like fun

fish_any_time
    Champlin, MN

We start chasing them in March. They seem to go hand in hand with the perch on Mille Lacs at about that time.

kvang
    MN

Hey James,

How far out from the resort did you guys station at? Look like some fun action since the eye season is over…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Hey James,

How far out from the resort did you guys station at? Look like some fun action since the eye season is over…

Maybe 1.5 – 2 miles. Call High Banks. They’ll drop you right on these fish as they plow a road right to the area.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’ve had some great experiences with High Banks over the years. Great people to talk to, and they help the folks that do business with them!

Joel

blufloyd

Are these whitefish? I seem to think in Saskatchewan they have whitefish and tullibees and the tullibees are mostly inedible from my reading.
    I have had a couple smoked whitefish this year one was pretty good the other may have been a walmart tire. Local names get confusing???

Quintin Biermann
    Webster, South Dakota

These are tullibee and taste best smoked from my experience. I believe what they catch on the great lakes, as well as more of the canadian lakes are Whitefish. I have had these pan fried and they taste pretty good.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Are these whitefish? I seem to think in Saskatchewan they have whitefish and tullibees and the tullibees are mostly inedible from my reading.
    I have had a couple smoked whitefish this year one was pretty good the other may have been a walmart tire. Local names get confusing???

Definitely tullies. I’ve had them smoked and they’re good but multiple people we fished with raved about the way the tullies taste if you bake them. I haven’t tried them that way but the guy we fished with, Rob Hamling, didn’t bat an eye when we released nice crappies or perch but the tullies he wanted.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Did you guys stay past Wed? We got up there Thur-Sun. Would have been nice to say hi.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Did you guys stay past Wed? We got up there Thur-Sun. Would have been nice to say hi.

No, 4 – 5 hours and gone. Like you said, would have been fun…

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

How was fishing?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Last day was special. The size of the perch we got was incredible. My top two largest for sure. We really got into the jumbos thanks to some intel from fellow IDO’er Chomps.

First day was ok and second was terrible. Low temps and sustained high winds.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Last day was special. The size of the perch we got was incredible. My top two largest for sure. We really got into the jumbos thanks to some intel from fellow IDO’er Chomps.
    First day was ok and second was terrible. Low temps and sustained high winds.

Great to hear. Dare I ask “how big?”

kvang
    MN

Question guys:
    Is it common to catch a whitefish or two for a trip on Big Winnie? Never seen or caught one before…

Also, is the water clarity ideal for under water camera use? Nothing beat fishing tullies on camera.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

yeah give a guy a bone and he finished the bowl.
    our largest was 12 7/8 plenty of small ones to sort, but we had about a 10″ min and cleaned 84 on Thursday, 73 on Friday, Saturday we chased our tails and drank too much. Sunday we didn’t travel, just stayed at the resort.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Quote:

yeah give a guy a bone and he finished the bowl.
    our largest was 12 7/8 plenty of small ones to sort, but we had about a 10″ min and cleaned 84 on Thursday, 73 on Friday, Saturday we chased our tails and drank too much. Sunday we didn’t travel, just stayed at the resort.

It was an accident. I swear…

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.