100 ACRE LAKE, WHERE WOULD YOU FISH THE EYES!?

• wade_berkseth
    Wisconsin

This lake is south of Superior Wisconsin about an hour and is shaped kind of like an hour glass with a max depth of 20 feet in the middle on the north end of the lake. The depth gradually gets shallower in all directions of hole. To the west of that hole is a 5-10 foot flat with a mix of rock, sand and weeds everywhere. Where the lake bottle necks the two points are all sand and big rock mixed with smaller rock. The biggest part of the “Hourglass” shaped lake is a a max depth of 16 feet and the majority around 11 feet with shallower depths to be found! There are also a few fish cribs located in the bigger part of the lake on the east shore line. The lake has Pike, Walleye, Largemouth, Perch, Gills, Crappie, Suckers and maybe others… Where would you focus your efforts for walleye on this little Northwest Wisconsin Lake????? I am very interested to read all of your comments!

drewsdad
    Crosby, MN

All the places you mentioned would be worth checking out. How deep is it in the narrows? If the narrows have enough depth for fish to move freely through from one end to the other being there at a lowlight transition time might be good. Just like you want to be in a funnel area deer hunting.

dd

ryan_mcneil
    Dodge Center, MN

I grew up around wascott/solon springs area. Pm me of what lake your talking about

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Typically this time of year, we look for eyes in the deeper basins of lakes during daylight hours. 100 acres isn’t very big, that works in your favor. I’d focus on the deepest water you can find near a sharp break that works up to a sand flat.

I would think those fish will stay in one area most of the day until low light hours.

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Typically this time of year, we look for eyes in the deeper basins of lakes during daylight hours. 100 acres isn’t very big, that works in your favor. I’d focus on the deepest water you can find near a sharp break that works up to a sand flat.

I would think those fish will stay in one area most of the day until low light hours.

I would start out there one day then keep trying the spots you mentioned each day. Other wise drill out an area you think is good like a sharp break going into the hole and hole hop that area. Then the next day try the shallower rock/ sand flats. Trial and error until you find the eyes. I would use tip ups along with activly jigging.

wade_berkseth
    Wisconsin

Great comments guys… all of those tips and techniques are great ideas that all have potential to catch some fish!

Whiskerkev
    Madison

Fish shallow weeds at dawn and dusk. 4 feet of water is what I would look for.

dank
    Minneapolis, MN

is the population and size of the walleyes that have been netted worth your time?

wade_berkseth
    Wisconsin

I have caught some nice walleyes in the past… biggest 27″. In the spring time there are alot of nice eater size fish to be had! lots of fun! Just haven’t been able to find them in the winter, caught one in six feet of water on a tip up. I might try there in the morning. I dont have a portable at the moment because of all my gear being stolen last season. I will just be up early and im going to drill a bunch of holes in shallow water and give it a try.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I sent you a PM. Not sure if you saw it. I’m going to be heading up to Minong tomorrow. I’m not sure if you are in the area, but I’d love to come and help you find the fish if you want. Not sure exactly what lake you are on, but I have a pretty good idea of the area.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.