MarCum LX7 V2.9 Upgrade w/ How-To Video

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

The Version 2.9 Upgrade has been released and is available for download here >>> V.2.9 Upgrade File & Install Instructions

The upgrade includes the addition of Dynamic Depth, improved control over target size and other upgrades not available in earlier software versions.

Step-By-Step Installation Video:

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I missed this part;

System requirements – PC only computer with 2.0 USB port and a 2.0 USB cable. Do not attempt upgrade without 2.0 port or cable.

I found out the hard way that the old Dell PC doesn’t have a 2.0 USB port, or if it does, I chose the wrong port.
    It tried to warn me also.

Read the Update Procedure then watch the video.

gfhfg
    michigan

Did it and heard the sound afterward. But I had to drag over 3 things not just one. The lx7 bin, lx7 bin 1 and lx7 bin 2. Might be because of my computer or software I dont know. Hopefully it worked correctlty and it will perform on the ice.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Go into “System Settings” like they show in the video.

Make sure it reads v. 2.9.

hnd

2.0 only should matter in regards to transfer speed. it should still work on usb 1.0 and 1.1.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

2.0 only should matter in regards to transfer speed. it should still work on usb 1.0 and 1.1.

It will not work……….trust me!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

As stated in the video and written instructions, the use of a USB 2.0 cable is critical.

hnd

2.0 and 1.1 are generally across the board cross compatible. its odd that it woudl be different here. not saying you are wrong obviously, you of all people may know.

Todders

Will Thorne bros help a guy out with this like they do with the hds units?

hnd

i imagine they would do it for you if they brought it in. they seem like that type of company.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

I can do this for you Todders. Maybe we need to shoot again this weekend???

Todders

We need to keep those strings stretched way more often Kooty! I am heading to Mille lacs early Friday and want it done before this trip! How can you tell exactly which USB cable you have? I thought they were all the same .

smokinbobo
    Monticello / Guthrie, MN

I appear to be having trouble with the drivers installing properly. Anybody else?

Todders

Thorne bros said the update is not yet available to them? Hope my playstation 2 cable is the right one?

big_g
    Isle, MN

ALL DONE !!! Took about 5 minutes. How can they (Thorne Bros) not have access, it’s on the Marcum Website to download ?

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Don’t get much easier than that! Took me longer to hear the chirp than it did to download the upgrade.

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

I nailed it !!!

v2.9 is downloaded and ready for trial on Friday !!!

This How-To Video was perfect and to the T.

Thanks Jon and Rocky for a fantastic and easy upgrade from my home !!!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I appear to be having trouble with the drivers installing properly. Anybody else?

If you’re getting a driver install error, try another USB port on the machine. Typically, there are several ports, often on different USB controllers internally.

The machine should recognize it as disk storage almost immediately.

Joel

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

X2!!!! Too easy!!!

THANKS MARCUM!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

I missed this part;

System requirements – PC only computer with 2.0 USB port and a 2.0 USB cable. Do not attempt upgrade without 2.0 port or cable.

I found out the hard way that the old Dell PC doesn’t have a 2.0 USB port, or if it does, I chose the wrong port.

In looking at USB cables, both 1.0 and 2.0 cables look the same. Perhaps the best “tell” there is to identify your cable as USB 1.0, is immediately when plugging in the cable and unit to the computer, up comes a warning message like this:

“This device can peform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port.”

That’s a sure sign to safely remove hardware and find a higher speed cable.

Joel

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

Quote:

I missed this part;

In looking at USB cables, both 1.0 and 2.0 cables look the same. Perhaps the best “tell” there is to identify your cable as USB 1.0, is immediately when plugging in the cable and unit to the computer, up comes a warning message like this:

“This device can peform faster if you connect it to a Hi-speed USB 2.0 port.”

That’s a sure sign to safely remove hardware and find a higher speed cable.

Joel

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with the cable and everything to do with the port.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

2.0 and 1.1 are generally across the board cross compatible. its odd that it woudl be different here. not saying you are wrong obviously, you of all people may know.

You’re right on the compatibility part. The USB 2.0 requirement has to do with security measures put in place to protect the software that drives the LX7. If someone was to add anything to the .bat file the install would take longer than expected due to the increased file size and time out. In the simplest terms… using a USB 1.0 cable causes the install to time out before the file can be fully loaded within the time allowed.

mrbluesky

Look at the ends of the cables. USB 2.0 cables have rectangular shaped, flatter ends. USB 1.0 cables have thick square ends.

Test data transfer speed. Connect a device with each cable and try to move files back and forth from the device and your computer. A USB 2.0 cable is up to 40 times faster at transferring data.

Recall when you received each cable. USB 2.0 cables are the new standard as of 2001, so any USB 1.0 cable you have most likely came with a pre-2001 device.

I SAY, IF IT ISNT WORKING, YOU ARENT USING A USB 2.0 CABLE.

hnd

Quote:

Quote:

You’re right on the compatibility part. The USB 2.0 requirement has to do with security measures put in place to protect the software that drives the LX7. If someone was to add anything to the .bat file the install would take longer than expected due to the increased file size and time out. In the simplest terms… using a USB 1.0 cable causes the install to time out before the file can be fully loaded within the time allowed.

i assumed it had to do with a time out. 1.0 is 1.5 mbps and 2.0 is 480.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

i assumed it had to do with a time out. 1.0 is 1.5 mbps and 2.0 is 480.

I look forward to hearing what people think about the performance of the unit post-upgrade.

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

So what is the new upgrade?
    What kind of input or feedback did Marcum receive from there pro staff?

Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

What kind of input or feedback did Marcum receive from there pro staff?

Thanks

Make it 1000 X better than anything else available.

Are they there yet? No. But the 7 running 2.9 is amazing. And we have something to shoot for.

hnd

what i’m seeing around the web so far has been a ton of great things. i think Marcum fixed most of the issues i’ve seen with the initial rollout.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

what i’m seeing around the web so far has been a ton of great things. i think Marcum fixed most of the issues i’ve seen with the initial rollout.

Good to hear… although not unexpected… and I’ll admit I’m usually a bit reserved with this kind of thing but dynamic depth is pretty damn cool.

Onward and upward.

iceicecrazy

would be nice to have a comparison of the software versions including what is new and what improved,…and how.
    One question what is my target ID actually doing, so far with the old software I can not see any effect or I miss it.

I love my LX7, but for the future a real manual or instruction video on the features (and I hate to say this) like I had for my vexilars would be great. Why not a help function in the system which could explain it in a few words.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.