Jiffy Pro4 Propane review

• Mocha
    Park Rapids

I just had the opportunity to use my friends brand new Jiffy Pro4 propane this last weekend. WOW! First time it had ever been started and started on 3rd pull. The rest of the weekend it started every time on the first pull. One downside of this auger was the weight. I believe it comes in at about 38# for the 8″ which is considerably heavier than my StrikeMaster Lazor Mag. I also felt it did not cut quite as fast as my StrikeMaster since the Jiffy only has one blade but it did cut well. If StrikeMaster would come out with a propane auger with a reasonable weight I think I would switch but I just received an e-mail back from StrikeMaster saying they have “0” plans for a propane auger at this time. Bummer!

PS: We drilled about 70+ holes in about 18″ of ice and was still on the original 1# tank. Impressive!

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

I guess I’m missing something? So it’s slow and heavy but it starts on the first pull. I drilled over 100 holes on Sunday with my 3hp solo that starts on the 2nd pull and used a tank of gas. I could see if you had a wheel house where the pro4 might be nice but even then there’s no way you’d want to leave the house to hole hop with a 40lb auger. I guess I just don’t see any real advantage to using a propane auger?

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Cleaner, no mixing, no pouring of gas, no leaking of gas and just seems to run better than any 2stroke I have ever been around. The weight is the killer at this point.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Not that propane is really that much cheaper also…

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

I would worry that those 1 lb tanks will be outlawed in the near future. Especially since they can’t be refilled or recycled.

Minnesota – land where nothing is allowed!

-J.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Quote:

Cleaner, no mixing, no pouring of gas, no leaking of gas and just seems to run better than any 2stroke I have ever been around. The weight is the killer at this point.

If those are the selling points you should look at the strike lite 4 stroke from Strikemaster. The only thing is you’d have to dump dome gas into it and at only 24lbs it’s a hole hopping machine.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

Quote:

If those are the selling points you should look at the strike lite 4 stroke from Strikemaster. The only thing is you’d have to dump dome gas into it and at only 24lbs it’s a hole hopping machine.

And that’s why Jesse the Krook (last offer $200.) always wants to buy mine.

Great for in wheel houses as well. No smoke and purrs like a kitten.

Not to mention daylight viewable.

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

Thank you for the review. I know many people who want to hear from people who are out using them.

I guess I don’t get the hype. I have never had a problem starting my gas auger, mixing gas takes about 2 minutes, and with a quality gas can spilling is a not an issue.

timschmitz
    Waconia MN

Not to mention daylight viewable

Jesse or the auger?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Yeah Stink, thanks for your thoughts. I’m not trying to rip on you. I just don’t see them being around for the duration.

Jesse is NOT daylight viewable.

Mocha
    Park Rapids

Quote:

Yeah Stink, thanks for your thoughts. I’m not trying to rip on you. I just don’t see them being around for the duration.

No problem. I also can not imagine them being their big seller with all that weight. I for sure will be looking at the 4stroke StrikeMaster the next time around. I just really liked the propane end of it and how well the motor ran.

bigpike

Quote:

I would worry that those 1 lb tanks will be outlawed in the near future. Especially since they can’t be refilled or recycled.

Minnesota – land where nothing is allowed!

-J.

With a little ingenuity and a bigger tank a guy could easily fill his own

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

Quote:

chomps
    Sioux City IA

I did see Jiffy was introducing a 4 stroke for the next ice season. Would be nice to get some specs and previews.

wade_berkseth
    Wisconsin

I also recently just tried the new Jiffy Pro 4. Nicest auger I have ever layed my hands on! Cuts extremely fast and in my opinion much more reliable and convienent than any other auger on the market! One pull every time! Make sure you are always leaving this auger with the spark plug up though because of the 4 Stroke operation which recquires engine oil! I will definitely be purchasing one of these for next season! Good fishing!

Sears69

My two cents I’ve owned all makes and models of augers for the past 25 years. Last year I purchased a Jiffy Pro 4 and will never go back to a gas auger again. It will handle long bouncy rides in the shack behind the 4 wheeler and snow machine, this thing is tough. My buddy bought another brand and the plastic handles broke off half way though the season.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

My two cents I’ve owned all makes and models of augers for the past 25 years. Last year I purchased a Jiffy Pro 4 and will never go back to a gas auger again. It will handle long bouncy rides in the shack behind the 4 wheeler and snow machine, this thing is tough. My buddy bought another brand and the plastic handles broke off half way though the season.

Just about every product has its pros and cons, with this one being no exception. I see major benefits of this auger going to a guy in a hard-side house that doesn’t move it throughout the year. No fumes, save the propane smell (yes there is a smell), and a beefy chipper blade born and raised to re-drill old holes. That said, the weight on this unit for me at least, makes it a non-starter. At 38lbs in the 8″ model, this thing is pushing twice the weight of light-weight competitors, severely limiting your will to get out there and truly drill-out a spot.

Gas is more efficient in terms of combustion, and I can push 150-300 holes (depending on ice thickness) with about any gas auger per tank……most of which avg. around 1/8 gallon. Doing the math, we’re talking about 5-6 times cost savings on fuel alone with gas. Not that I care about paying more for fuel if the convenience factor is there. However, freezing propane in extreme temps, coupled with extra 1lb. steel wrecking balls rolling in the bottom of my sled make it no more convenient than carrying a spill-proof 1 gallon gas tank.

As far as durability, I’ve owned steel handled and plastic handled augers, even augers with composite drills. My auger rides in the bottom/back of an otter sled into some pretty extreme conditions, and I’m notoriously hard on gear. Unless you’re using your auger like a hammer, or it falls from the standing position, I haven’t heard of people breaking handles, and I’ve never done it myself.

Again, this auger fits a portion of the ice-fishing population well, but there are other options there too, especially electric which are truly fume-less. IMO, if you drill more than 20 holes in a sitting and weight is of any concern whatsoever, I’d look elsewhere.

Joel

Sears69

Wow, hauling a gas can in your fish house is just as convenient as a 1 pound lp tank! I think I would rather have the lp tank. I really like not having to deal with the gas mess and smell on your hands, no choking or priming or cleaning carbs every few years. As for the freezing lp tanks, it has never happened to me (nor anyone I have talked to) and I fish with temps well below zero. I guess if the lp froze my heater would freeze also so I don’t think that will ever be an issue for me. Propane vs gas seems like a no-brainer to me. Don’t worry Strike master fans they will soon follow with a propane auger, then I’m sure propane will be the best thing ever.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Don’t worry Strike master fans they will soon follow with a propane auger, then I’m sure propane will be the best thing ever.

Too funny! I’m sure when they do it’s going to weigh less than 38 pounds!

I Inherited a Jiffy 30 with a 8″ bit. I couldn’t get the darn thing running properly when I cut holes. Finally after taking it to a small engine shop and spending close to $200. in repairs with the same results, I called the factory. The said that I needed to adjust the idle screw while I was cutting a hole. Adjusting the idle off the ice wouldn’t help.

WHAT? How many hands do you think I have I said? They told me to have a friend help. Obviously they didn’t know who I was, I don’t have any friends.

That worked, unfortunately the adjustment only lasted a few times out and it had to be adjusted again and again. Between this and the weight of the 30, I started looking for new augers.

Weight and reliability where my two concerns. I’m not a young buck that can run around popping holes all over the lake with a heavy auger. Hell I’m not really happy just walking any distance with a heavy auger!

When StrikeMaster came out with the StrikeLite at 22 pounds, that was the “no-brainer” for me.

Now instead of people telling me to leave my auger at home they tell me they want to use my auger…and I should stay home.

Yeah, at 22 pounds I’m happy to be called a StrikeMaster fan.

Corey Rhymer
    Roberts, WI

Too funny BrianK, I can be you FWHEND!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Ok…but you might not know what your asking! LOL!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

BK,
    Your response/review has nothing to do with the auger. It is the motor of the auger. You could say the same about a Snapper lawn mower and compare it to a Jiffy, because both are “Tecumseh” OR “Briggs/Stratton” engines.

IF I READ CORRECTLY, BOTH STRIKEMASTER AND JIFFY ENGINES COME OUT OF GERMANY

Right now, between the two companies, you have two primary options:
    light weight: go with Strikemaster
    Clean, simple burning: Go with Propane Jiffy.

Other than that, they are mirror image motors.
    This is a chevy/ford debate in which truck do you need to haul an 8′ 2×4 piece of lumber.

Both are great auger companies, both have 4 strokes.

I have PERSONALLY used the Propane auger on Mille Lacs. Cut several holes with it. It is clean burning and there is AS MUCH ODOR AS YOUR MR BUDDY HEATER!!!!!!!!!!
    So no stink or smoke as a gas auger.

LOTS of torque. I’d say almost too much torque and power. The auger cut through the 14″ of clean ice so fast and hard it was intimidating, even for a 6’7″, 300lb guy like me!

As for the 1-lb “wrecking ball” in your sled. I already have 2 of them for my heater and my lantern when I travel light. And the propane wrecking ball will cut an “average” of 150 holes. That is a lot of holes on a tank. I’d rather have the propane wrecking ball than a gas can leaking.

I’ve never had a propane bottle freeze on me with any type of use (lantern or heater) and I’ve ice fished 2 days in -5f high temps on Waubay. The bottle isn’t going to freeze up.

Would I buy one over gas? I can’t answer that.
    But if I had a permanent house or a pull behind shack and I needed a new auger. Yes, I’d buy this one if I didn’t have an auger.

If I only fished from an Otter, I’d buy a light auger for the hole hopping.

So, from someone who has used this auger as his friend has one, I’d say they are NICE, clean, no dripping carbs, no gas cans, no stink.

HOWEVER, any auger better work like it should when it is new. Proof is the ability of an auger to hold up over time. A fishing partner has a Jiffy 30 that he purchased in the mid-80s. It is tired, but she still cuts holes.

I have a 5 yr old Jiffy 30 and it starts on the first pull every time. I’ve never touched the carbs and on the 2nd spark plug. It better run perfect, it is a “Tecumseh” engine!!!!!

DRH1175

I think the Pro4 is a great auger and would have bought one to replace my 20 yr old Model 30. However for me weight is the biggest selling point. The Model 30 I have simply wears me out. I just bought a Strike Lite and hopefully will get it next week. I found a sale that had them for $412.49 brand new so I couldn’t pass it up. I am pretty sure I will never burn a tank of gas in one day. If I did I probably won’t be fishing much cause I will be drilling. To carry a tank on a trip and leave it at the truck is no prob. Most of all at 23lb I won’t be worn out like I was with my 40# jiffy! If weight wasn’t an issue than the pro4 would have gotten a hard look from me. But I already have one of those Heavy augers.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

As for the 1-lb “wrecking ball” in your sled. I already have 2 of them for my heater and my lantern when I travel light. And the propane wrecking ball will cut an “average” of 150 holes. That is a lot of holes on a tank. I’d rather have the propane wrecking ball than a gas can leaking.

I’ve never had a propane bottle freeze on me with any type of use (lantern or heater) and I’ve ice fished 2 days in -5f high temps on Waubay. The bottle isn’t going to freeze up.

Gary:

Not all of us can throw 38lbs around all day like it was a toothpick you behemoth!

We must fish differently if a propane tank doesn’t damage gear in your ice house, yet a gas can leaks all over the place. Truth be told, I store my propane in a sportsman’s caddy away from everything else, and haven’t had as many problems since, but I haven’t had a leaky gas can since I started using the kind with the locking open/close handle.

I have personally used the propane augers myself, and agree with many of your sentiments, sans the efficiency of the drill and purported superiority of propane vs. gas. We’re in complete agreement that it weighs nearly twice the weight of lightweight offerings from several auger mfrs. however, so beyond that, it probably is somewhat of a personal preference.

Joel

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Not all of us can throw 38lbs around all day like it was a toothpick you behemoth!

Umm Joel, Gary’s breakfast is more than 38 pounds.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

Way to plug your otter sled, geez, i’m so outta the loop with my eskimo, which has never hauled any brand of augers except them all Why does it always come down to my dog is bigger than your dog, i do respect your views, and agree, what you gain in some areas you lose in others

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Quote:

Why does it always come down to my dog is bigger than your dog

Going by this as the only factor, I lost. My dog is only 22 pounds.

PS Lock and Dam #3 is better than L&D #2.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

LOL,that’s funny right there, my dog craps that in a day, thanks just venting cause i couldn’t fish, i’m all better now.

Outdraft
    Western Wi.

PS what are we supposed to do with the cats we’re catchin? the ugly sobs, they are good practice for the real bottom feeders

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.