My Battle Of The Weekend

• bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Tom Donaldson and I busted hump this weekend. We saw some great sights and some not so great sights.

Not so great, Thank you to the guy that lacks any kind of common since for not stepping on Tom’s tip up while setting up your double wide popup a whole 2 feet away. You sir are really bringing them kids up right and teaching them good outdoorsman ship It was nice of your wife to apologize a number of times even though none of the advent taking place was her fault! There….I feel better now Please just take my venting and do not turn this post into a bash on people without brains. We have all had an advent like this take place before!

The good sight, a hook set with a UL St. Croix that stays doubled over without any movement on the other end, the rod just stayed doubled over for at least 15 seconds, then 2 big head shakes but still no run, I wasn’t sure who had who at this point. Then it happened, the small President Pflueger started to scream big fish as the drag went into action. The #14 Froggie Diamond jig tied up with 2lb line had stuck itself to something with some weight All I could do at this point was put a big grin on my face and call Tom over for some support.

A little line in and a lot of line out, gain a little lose twice as much, this went on for some time before the tide turned and line was being retrieved at a better pace. The toothy put on a great show at the hole also, I think the sun light was hurting the eyes of this critter because it wanted nothing to do with the Ultraviolet sun exposure. I love nothing better than getting lucky and pulling fish like this out of an ice hole with the UL equipment. It is a true test of the gear you are using and this set up has stood up against and number of battles such as this one

Good luck fishing people

jighead-two
    Cedar Falls, Iowa

Good story and nice fish

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Not bad for no ice Big Guy!

mikehd
    Dousman, WI

Nice fish buddy. I would have been worried about you landing that monster without my expert help and moral support but you were in good hands with Tom.

jeff_jensen
    cassville ,wis

Awesome Pike there Bret!! Look, a tip up………….must be a good spot!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Great fish Bret. Have often wondered what a big fish like that sees in a tiny panfish jig? Do you think they make a habit of eating small water bugs and such? Picked up a 4# pike on light gear a couple of weeks ago and that was a pretty good battle. How long was yours? Looks around 40″s.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Damn. That’s a nice mean greeny.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Great fish, Bret. That thing’s a tank!

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Nice pike there, Bret ! Fun read too.

-J.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Nice critter Bret!!!! Normally I would never critique your pics but I think their pop up tent (preferably the doorway or window) would have made for THE perfect back drop. Congrats on the pig!

Joel Ballweg
    Sauk City, Wisconsin

Catching a pike like that on lite equipment thru the ice is pretty cool stuff.
    Congrats Bret!

hairjig
    Cudahy, Wis.

Great Fish Bret !!!!

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Awesome read… Your description brought back some awesome memories of a battle that I had 2 years ago with a beautiful 37″ pike that I pulled from a tiny private lake using UL gear with 2# test

Congrats on the sweet fish and great memories!

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

That thing’s big, and he looks mad! Congrats on a great pike Brett, esp. with that tackle.

Joel

arklite881south

Truly Mean Joe Spotted “Green” right there!! Lord those little Diamond jigs are tough.

arklite881south

I looked at it again……I’m going to have to stamp the beast with a “Super Tanker”.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

holly molly!

DrewH
    s/w WI.

Great fish, picture, and read.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Nice job Bret!!! Good line and smooth drag get her done most every time!!! Be nice to hear an estimate of that pig’s length…

Mark

stuart
    Mn.

Job well done! Nice water wolf!

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

I know that spot

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I know that spot

No you don’t.

Mudshark
    LaCrosse WI

Quote:

No you don’t.

MAYBE Tom ……
    But I have been confused a time or 2……

ironheadr5
    Northeast, Iowa

Nice fish !!! Love those St Criox Rods

mrbluesky

Nice fish! Another memory that will never be forgotten. i would of loved to see the look on your faces the first time it came up to the hole! Congrats!

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Quote:

I know that spot

No you don’t.

Heck, I don’t even know that spot, ask me

As far as the size, it’s a true fat toad and, Blue takes a pretty picture
    We didn’t weigh her and I’m not guessing…..I suck at that when I get excited
    More than 6 and less than 20….hows that

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Bret, you are my hero. Don’t tell Mudshark.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.