How is everyone liking there LX7?

• WALLEYE444

How are you liking your Lx7 flashers? Thanks.

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

The display is awesome, I like the ability to have a vertical color zoom window, like the b/w showdown but color. IR never has to be hit more that once in my outings so far. On screen displays of conewidth is cool to get a better perspective of actually how much water you are seeing where your jig is.
    My major issue right now is the bag, it has been kicking my tail. I have found to do a lot of fishing in the wind this winter and the bag system acts like a kite sometimes, not sure what can be done to change that other than mount it some other way. I enjoy fishing with the bigger screen.

glenn-d
    N C Illinois

Calvin I just got an LX7 and I think this weekend will finally get to try it out. Do you have to adjust the ping when fishing weeds or shallow water ? This thing looks neat & I can’t wait to use it !!!!

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

Calvin I just got an LX7 and I think this weekend will finally get to try it out. Do you have to adjust the ping when fishing weeds or shallow water ? This thing looks neat & I can’t wait to use it !!!!

I have not adjusted my ping settings, I will try it now that you mention it. I think you will enjoy the new look of the 7 and all its options.
    Make sure you keep your backlight setting as low as possible, this seems to be the fastest battery killer.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

I had a problem with the flasher on mine. Bottom had a constant “flickering” over firm bottom / no weeds. Looked like a fish / weeds on bottom. Tried changing sensitiviy, ping speed, ect. Took it out second day over new area (no weeds), and same thing. I thought the jig I was using looked “chunky” / very thick as well. Turning sensitivity helped, but had to turn it down to point where it wouldn’t show up all the time. Depth reading also changed occasionally. Wasn’t on Mille Lacs on a moving sheet . Had FL-18 along on both trips. Solid (typical), clear reading on the Vex. May have been user inexperince, but I returned it after reading several similar reviews on other site.

I like the fact that it can be “upgraded” like the newer open water electronics, but wasn’t happy to find out that an upgrade was already in the makes to clear up these issues and that some were already coming out with newer version of software. May have just been a bad unit as I’ve read some glowing reports….but, I’ve also read some reports similar to mine. I’ll probably get another one once these issues are cleared up and the price goes down (I see it for sale already at several places), but for now, I feel like I was doing the real life R & D that they didn’t seem to have time to do before releasing it.

shefland
    Walker

so far so good, Like the big screen! only thing that is irritating is the bag, putting it away, traveling from hole to hole is not the greatest, but I’ll get over it

randal_schultz
    Central Iowa

Hey guys…long time “lurker” on here but finally signed up. I am buying a 7 this weekend and will be experimenting with it on LOW next week… What is the biggest complaint, if any, you have with this unit?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I don’t own one.

jetro
    Mayer, MN

This is my biggest complaint so far also. The bottom return jumps around and is not consistent. On the flasher and the vertical zoom display. It makes it really hard to discern if a bottom hugging fish is coming into the cone. I guess I am too used to the crisp display of the LX-5.

Quote:

I had a problem with the flasher on mine. Bottom had a constant “flickering” over firm bottom / no weeds. Looked like a fish / weeds on bottom. Tried changing sensitiviy, ping speed, ect. Took it out second day over new area (no weeds), and same thing. I thought the jig I was using looked “chunky” / very thick as well. Turning sensitivity helped, but had to turn it down to point where it wouldn’t show up all the time. Depth reading also changed occasionally. Wasn’t on Mille Lacs on a moving sheet . Had FL-18 along on both trips. Solid (typical), clear reading on the Vex. May have been user inexperince, but I returned it after reading several similar reviews on other site.

I like the fact that it can be “upgraded” like the newer open water electronics, but wasn’t happy to find out that an upgrade was already in the makes to clear up these issues and that some were already coming out with newer version of software. May have just been a bad unit as I’ve read some glowing reports….but, I’ve also read some reports similar to mine. I’ll probably get another one once these issues are cleared up and the price goes down (I see it for sale already at several places), but for now, I feel like I was doing the real life R & D that they didn’t seem to have time to do before releasing it.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

I am absolutely in love with mine. There is just so much control you can have over everything, from ping speed to color selection. The customizable interface rocks! I don’t have any major complaints as I have been very happy with zero problems and I have my unit on the ice 5 to 6 days a week. I guess my battery connections did come off for the first time the other day, but that’s about it!!

Another feature I am estadic about is the deep water capability of this unit. Pretty soon we will be on lake superior ice fishing lake trout and 200 fow plus is common to fish in. I’m excited to see how it will perform.

Gary Sanders
    Lake Wisconsin

I have not seen an accurate depth displayed on mine yet. The display is beautiful but even a hot chick loses her appeal when she lies to you all the time…

Calvin Svihel
    Northwest Metro, MN

Quote:

The display is beautiful but even a hot chick loses her appeal when she lies to you all the time…

That is funny.

Jesse Krook
    Y.M.H.

I am really coming around. The first couple times I had it out I was a bit skeptical but the more I use the LX-7 the more I am liking it. Can’t wait to see this unit at it’s full potential with the upgrades. I like it now and it’s only going to get better

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

I am really coming around. The first couple times I had it out I was a bit skeptical but the more I use the LX-7 the more I am liking it. Can’t wait to see this unit at it’s full potential with the upgrades. I like it now and it’s only going to get better

Jesse

I’ll have two units with me at the GTG running the upgrade. The difference is mind boggling. The 7 goes from good to WOW. Make sure you grab one of my 7’s for a half hour to do a side by side with the one you have now.

ekruger01

Quote:

Quote:

Jesse

I’ll have two units with me at the GTG running the upgrade. The difference is mind boggling. The 7 goes from good to WOW. Make sure you grab one of my 7’s for a half hour to do a side by side with the one you have now.

So when will the upgrade be released? Do all the newer units on shelves have it?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

So when will the upgrade be released? Do all the newer units on shelves have it?

No. Units on the shelves are running V.1. This is a V.3 that is being tested for release to the public. Expect an announcement on release date some time early next week.

ekruger01

Quote:

Quote:

No. Units on the shelves are running V.1. This is a V.3 that is being tested for release to the public. Expect an announcement on release date some time early next week.

Awesome! Im glad I waited….now to sell the vex…..

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Um James? I would never say anything bad about my friend Jesse, but umm…you might want to mark your two 7’s and double check them before you leave.

Just saying.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Um James? I would never say anything bad about my friend Jesse, but umm…you might want to mark your two 7’s and double check them before you leave.

Just saying.

I mark all my equipment.

arklite881south

I’ve stayed away from the official Daze Weigh in here as I’ve beat around my LX7. Anglers need to remember this is frankly an ICE COMPUTER. The upgrades James references when approved through field testing will be available to all LX7 owners. “LUCKY 7” raised the bar in Ice Sonar. These upgraded versions now going to 3 produce mind boggling results. Again guys LIKE MYSELF are very demanding of a new product. Afterall I’m part of this hype, so we want it to give us a massage as we catch fish right!! Well It darn near is capable of that. I plan on giving the Rainydaze Review on this “Techy” piece of fishing catching sonar VERY SOON!! BTW I’ve been letting customers use it as of late and NOT ONE is interested in letting me have it back the next day.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

The upgrades James references when approved through field testing will be available to all LX7 owners.

Are these upgrades going to add functions / flexibility of unit, or are they going to fix some of the issues some of us are having? IE- If I’ve got one of the “flickering bottom” units, will the upgrade fix that?? OR….is this a common finding right out of the box and I just didn’t know how to “dial it in”?? I’ve talked to a number of guys on the ice noticing the same thing and wishing they’d brought their LX5 or Vex….in the same breathe, they say how potentially awesome the “7” could be.

Quote:

These upgraded versions now going to 3 produce mind boggling results

That’s what I was expecting out of the box with the “original” (barely one month old) one…..When I buy an expensive knife, I want it to be sharp out of the box…” I’m still optimistic and not trying to bash here……just a bit frustrated with my experience, whether it be a bad unit or me. Keep the reviews and info coming…….

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

That’s what I was expecting out of the box with the “original” (barely one month old) one…..When I buy an expensive knife, I want it to be sharp out of the box…” I’m still optimistic and not trying to bash here……just a bit frustrated with my experience, whether it be a bad unit or me. Keep the reviews and info coming…….

It not a knife. Like Chris said, it is more like a computer, although I’d say closer to a iPad or Tablet. And this is what happens when you are an early adopter. But how cool is it that they can improve on something after you bought it? Its not like someone from the knife company if going to come out and replace your blade with a better one.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

It not a knife…

And this is what happens when you are an early adopter.

Bad analogy…my bad…upgrades are indeed cool…..but not this soon after initial release. Guess I’m not up to speed with how fast technology moves today. I’ll wait til they grow up a bit before I “adopt” another one.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Mike,
    I don’t have an LX-7, but is there a reason you don’t want an upgrade if it is available? My understanding is that the LX-7 has a usb port so you can do the upgrade. It’s not like you have to send it in. They are making it possible for you to make your product better even after you purchased it. I think that is great.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Are these upgrades going to add functions / flexibility of unit, or are they going to fix some of the issues some of us are having?

The V3 upgrade will fix known existing issues, improve performance of the current platform and add new functionality. Your flickering bottom is a thing of the past after the upgrade. Want smaller targets? You’ll have them. More control over gain settings? Yup, that too. New features? Absolutely.

Quote:

When I buy an expensive knife, I want it to be sharp out of the box…”

Understood. I’m sorry to hear your knife had a nick in the blade. Good news is you can make it sharper than it ever was, and exponentially sharper than a knife made by another company can ever be, with 3 minutes and a USB cable in the comfort of your own home.

And the instant you upgrade your current unit know that MarCum is already working on new improvements and features additions that will be available down the road as… another FREE upgrade. The process will never end and I for one don’t want it to.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Bad analogy…my bad…upgrades are indeed cool…..but not this soon after initial release. Guess I’m not up to speed with how fast technology moves today. I’ll wait til they grow up a bit before I “adopt” another one.

All my computers receive weekly, sometimes daily, upgrades. When I buy new software the first thing the “new” software checks for is a newer version of that new software to install. Literally in the time it takes to ship me a CD containing software companies will already have updates ready for that software by the time I do the install.

Product improvements have gone from a painfully slow annual release that requires people to buy a new unit to access new features, no matter how minor they might be, to lightning fast with all updates and upgrades improving the functionality of existing equipment as fast as updates / upgrades can be released to the public, often at no charge or cost to the consumer. The way improvements are made to the LX7 is simply a better way to do business for all involved.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Being upgradeable from your own home with the LCD screen has kicked ice sonar into a new era.

I can’t even think of anything that’s comparable with the exception of the invention of the internet! It’s that big!

In less than 5 years I predict folk with be talking about “flashers” like they do about Lowrance’s Green Box.

History.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

As the upgrades are released to the public will there be instructions on using the new improvements?

Ed

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

As the upgrades are released to the public will there be instructions on using the new improvements?

Ed

Absolutely.

ederd
    Northeast Iowa, Randalia

Quote:

Quote:

Ed

Absolutely.

Thanks James!!!

Ed

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 143 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.