TIP DOWNS 101

• bullcans
    Northfield MN

Guys,

been reading alot on the Forums about different gear and tactics for this upcoming season.

One topic that i haven’t read anything about yet is the Tip Downs.

I bought one late last season and it is still new in the package.

Looking to use it this year and also looking for some advice, tactics, etc. on using them.

I know that James did a show that showed them in use and would like to find that as well.

Thanks

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

We have been using Tip Downs for close to 20 years now and they are great for Crappies and Perch. If you look at the ones sold at Fleet Farm called a Sure Strike Tip Down, they are a copy of what we make.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/product_detail/fishing/ice-fishing/tip-ups/sure-strike-tip-down

Here are the ones we make and have made for many years and a video of my son catching a crappie.

http://s947.photobucket.com/albums/ad317/cmherrmann/?action=view&current=fishing032.mp4

I set mine up with Hi-Vis 8# main line and a 3 foot leader of 3# and a#14 Treble hook. We use Crappie minnows as bait.

If you have any other questions about them let me know.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Thanks James. Very informative.

Are they mainly used for Crappies or…..?

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Panfish, generally. Gills, crappies and perch.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

And from someone that bought them because of James’ video and using them for a couple of year now, they are a blast. I have found that in many cases they work better than most other methods for crappies. And in WI we can use 3 of them. It reminds me of tending tip ups and if you get into a good school of crappies you will run your buns off chasing the biters. Plenty of places to pick them up as well as building your own.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Same deal the time we used them… the tip downs out-fished jig rods by a large margin and the fish caught on the tip-downs ran bigger.

tipdown
    Hudson, WI

<——————

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

Leave your tipups at home, grab a TIPDOWN!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

You will have to clean the holes fairly often in freezing weather, but one of the things we quickly discovered that is when you clean the holes give the line a little jiggle or lift. Very often that little movement of the minnow will trigger a bite.

I have had days when fishing with 3 Tip Downs in a small triangle formation and I could not keep up with them. I would end up with all 3 poles on the ice with fish on before I could get them baited and back down the hole.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Hey Nutz,
    I’m heading through your neck of the woods during the holidays. How about you hook me up with a couple of those. I’m payin’!

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I built 2 of them late last season and tried them out. Worked….but I missed most of the fish. What size treble do you all recommend? My problem was a slow day and getting to far away from the tip downs.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

we always use a #6 gold hook with a split shot about 12″ up from that. my dad and i had incredible luck last year up north using them for jumbo perch. we probably caught 75 perch ranging 9-11 inches in 2 days last year just on tip downs. its extremely fun, it was raining the one day so we just sat in the shack and watched the tip downs and ran out when one went down.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I prefer a #14 Mustad Treble and bend them out just a little to open the gap and improve hookset. You really need to get there as it is tipping or just after it hits bottom. Once they feel the pressure Crappies tend to spit the minnow.

TPetey PM sent, I will have a few ready for you just let me know how many, I’m getting low and have to build again.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Nutz,
    Thanks for the PM. Sent one back. If you are interested, I have some buddies that would like a few as well. If Nutz wants to build some more, I’d be happy to pick them up for you guys down in the LaCrosse area. We can work out the details later…

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Made these up last night for CPetey.

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

Quote:

What brand and length of rod do you recommend?

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

Thanks Nutz! Can’t wait to get them! I plan to be there early in the week of Christmas.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

Quote:

What brand and length of rod do you recommend?

I use the HT rods in 28″ You can use the 24 or 25″ but I like the little extra length. You can also use the plastic handle ones if you want.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

WOO! You’re in my new town. Might have to pick up a couple after Christmas. Any maybe meet someone new!

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quote:

WOO! You’re in my new town. Might have to pick up a couple after Christmas. Any maybe meet someone new!

If you want to do a little fishing and do not know the area let me know I will put you on some fish.

life1978
    Eau Claire , WI

Sweet. I’ll drop u a line sometime.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.