Frabill and Okuma SLV Flyreels the same reels?

• pete/ny
    Youngstown NY

Can anyone tell me if the Frabill flyreels are really the Okumas SLV with a different rubberized handle? I have heard on other Forums that they are the same exact rrels. Thanks

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m not sure if they are the same reel but I’m hearing good things from the guys at Thorne Bros about the Frabill reel.

I’ll be putting one on a new Quiverstick I have coming that was finished YESTERDAY. Just got the call from Lonnie in the custom shop that it is done along with a 36″ Stealth that will be rigged with a spinning reel.

tdobb

Not the same. I have inspected both very closely.

jrcunning1

James,
    Just saw your episode from Devil’s Lake Last March…Wow what a perch day you had!!
    I also noticed that you were using the “fly fishing” style reel. Seems like would be the hot ticket elmininating line twist. How do they handle icing? Substantial cost difference? Are they better suited for deep water “long lining” or shallower fishing….Thanks and can’t wait to get on the ice (gonna try the Mississippi this weekend)..
    Jim Cunningham
    Rochester, MN

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

James,
    Just saw your episode from Devil’s Lake Last March…Wow what a perch day you had!!
    I also noticed that you were using the “fly fishing” style reel. Seems like would be the hot ticket elmininating line twist. How do they handle icing? Substantial cost difference? Are they better suited for deep water “long lining” or shallower fishing….Thanks and can’t wait to get on the ice (gonna try the Mississippi this weekend)..
    Jim Cunningham
    Rochester, MN

Hi Jim

The fly reel excels in shallow water… less than 15′ deep. You can fish them as deep as you want but the 1:1 retrieve ratio can make that a tedious deal as retrieving 40 feet of line one revolution at a time can be a slow go.

Here’s a couple links to threads on the use of a fly reel in ice applications. As for icing, I’ve never had ANY issues with the fly reel. And cost will run from $45 for a Frabill reel on up. Here’s the link to that Frabill reel >>> Frabill Ice Reel

Fly Reel Threads Below >>>

http://www.idofishing.com/forum/showflat.php/Number/1049376/93/fpart/all
    http://www.idofishing.com/videos/viewvid.php/Number/945233/fpart/all

stevenoak

Quote:

Me too.The new Frabil looks to be designed for ice fishing.Spool will not take as much backing.Smaller space for line to go behind spool.Larger knob on spool.I thought last year the first one to design a fly-type reel for icefishing would do very well.Two of these were #1 on my Xmas list.For $10 more for combo the rods don’t look too shabby either.Very sensitive tip.

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

Quote:

Me too.The new Frabil looks to be designed for ice fishing.Spool will not take as much backing.Smaller space for line to go behind spool.Larger knob on spool.I thought last year the first one to design a fly-type reel for icefishing would do very well.Two of these were #1 on my Xmas list.For $10 more for combo the rods don’t look too shabby either.Very sensitive tip.

I was going to respond with a I doubt it yesterday to the original post. My reasoning was that the Frabil combos were pretty much the same price as the Okuma reels. So with the combo, you think the rod is cheap? (low quality) Who has used these?

Now that I know the reels are similar and hopefully similar quality, I’ll probably pick up the combo. If I end up liking straight line fishing, then I can get the quiver stick, which I think is the perfect combo for it.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

Quote:

I’m not sure if they are the same reel but I’m hearing good things from the guys at Thorne Bros about the Frabill reel.

I’ll be putting one on a new Quiverstick I have coming that was finished YESTERDAY. Just got the call from Lonnie in the custom shop that it is done along with a 36″ Stealth that will be rigged with a spinning reel.

I don’t see the “Stealth” in the TBros lineup. Is it a TB
    rod? More info please and thanks.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

It is most definitely a Thorne Bros custom. It is a new rod for this year that is far lighter and sensitive than anything previously offered. I believe the 28″ stealth weighs less than 0.5 oz. when ordered with the synthetic cork handle. I would wager a guess that they’re not listed on their site because they’re already swamped with orders on them but I’m sure they’ll be added to the TB site once they get through the peak rod building season.

If you want to get hands on one visit the store. They always have in-store demo rods for testing.

Once I pick mine up and get it home I’ll share my thoughts on it.

blue-fleck
    Dresbach, MN

Quote:

I would wager a guess that they’re not listed on their site because they’re already swamped with orders on them but I’m sure they’ll be added to the TB site once they get through the peak rod building season.

They are on their website.

Link #1

Link #2

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Quote:

I would wager a guess that they’re not listed on their site because they’re already swamped with orders on them but I’m sure they’ll be added to the TB site once they get through the peak rod building season.

They are on their website.

Link #1

Link #2

Good job sleuthing them up, Tom.

dandorn
    M.I.N.N.E.S.O.T.A.

I was looking for it on this page of their site.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

It is most definitely a Thorne Bros custom. It is a new rod for this year that is far lighter and sensitive than anything previously offered. I believe the 28″ stealth weighs less than 0.5 oz. when ordered with the synthetic cork handle. I would wager a guess that they’re not listed on their site because they’re already swamped with orders on them but I’m sure they’ll be added to the TB site once they get through the peak rod building season.

If you want to get hands on one visit the store. They always have in-store demo rods for testing.

Once I pick mine up and get it home I’ll share my thoughts on it.

Talk about feel. Pat from Thorne Bros. used me as a guinea pig for a little experiment with a floor model of the Stealth they had at the ice show. You know the 2″ cardboard rings they put on their rods – just enough to hold the sale price tag? Pat handed me the rod with it on. I was surprised….the thing is virtually weightless. Then he slipped it off and handed it to me again. Ridiculous. I told him, “wow, I can actually feel the difference.” He said, “that’s because the cardboard ring is over half the weight of the rod itself”…..with a signature Pat Smith silly grin.

For those “feel” guys….there’s nothing out there even close sans the quiver stick.

Joel

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to respond with a I doubt it yesterday to the original post. My reasoning was that the Frabil combos were pretty much the same price as the Okuma reels. So with the combo, you think the rod is cheap? (low quality) Who has used these?

Now that I know the reels are similar and hopefully similar quality, I’ll probably pick up the combo. If I end up liking straight line fishing, then I can get the quiver stick, which I think is the perfect combo for it.

I have a quicktip frabill rod and I really liked it for the only season it saw regular use. The following season I got a powernoodle and never went back. For the money it is a good rod. I don’t like how the tip isn’t high vis but it is still sensitive. Comparing it to a powernoodle from Thorne it isn’t built as well. It has more flex down the whole blank. It has a little play in the handle as well. If your looking for a lower price point rod I suggest these rods. Just remember they are no custom rod. Hope this helps.
    Matt P

thinkeyes
    Fairfax, IOWA

I verified with my contact at Okuma that the Frabill reel is not an Okuma reel. Just thought I would share what I found today on the subject. Now back to the TB rods.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.