Ice Fishing Jig Box

• mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Alright, so what does everyone use to keep their tackle organized in the winter. I am tired of my old way of throwing everything in a plastic coffee can and little snus tins. Inevitably they get wet and rusted.

I use mostly panfish jigs. I have a few chubby darters and spoons for when I feel adventurous or like jigging and jigging and jigging waiting for a bite.

Help organize my life.

adamgdunn
    Iowa

I have 3 of these. 1 for jigs. 1 for plastics. 1 for spoons, darters, etc…Plano 1070 Side by Sides (Fly boxes-Cheap)

I have them labeled and store them in a 3 compartment spinner bait box.

Works for me. Compact. Can take the cases with me in my pocket if I want to.

Knutty

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

Rose creek polar boxes

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Rose-Creek-c76.htm

Or the clam ones..

http://www.thornebros.com/shop/pc/Clam-Corp-c74.htm

X2

X3 – The big features with these boxes, and their new spoon box, are that they offer distinct advantages over traditional storage:

-Organized – No more hook tangles. You can see what you have, which is half the battle!

-Separated and Protected – Ice jigs are not cheap. Spoons are more expensive. I’ve ruined hundreds of dollars in ice tackle by keeping them all together in a single plano-style box compartment, as the paint chips, colors fade, and hooks wear on each other during transport.

I have several boxes based on species and lure type, and you can get a simple gear bag to tote only the ones you need for the fishing you’ll be doing that day. For me, it’s more about a system that works well together, and having several Rose Creek boxes, all with species-specific lures in them makes me more efficient.

Joel

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

zip locks

mplspug
    Palmetto, Florida

Quote:

zip locks

Sure, with some cotton balls thrown in there.

dan stien
    Waunakee, Wisconsin

Heres a couple of pictures of a box I made to keep my self organized. Besides some glue it was free to make from the unwanted box and the foam. As for jigging spoons I keep them in a small plastic tackle box, I used to keep tham in the same box but started to run out of room for my jigs. Maybe this will give some ideas.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

Now that i have a bunch of rose creek boxes, i realize i prefer the jig boxes with foam holders way better. The rose creek are nice if the jig isn’t too heavy or small, but size 8 and 10 pop out too easily with the slightest bump to the box and anything really small and the hook gauge is too thin to be held securely. They hold # 12 diamond jigs and 4mm tungsten really well

Exacty what was happening to me with my Rose Creek boxes. Clam and Flambeau both make great boxes with the foam in them. They have waterproof seals too.

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

I saw a really sweet Flambeau at Fleet tonight, half was the foam and half was small individual compartments each with it’s own latching lid. $15 was a little high but it was a quality box with nice seals that should last.

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

I just picked this up at cabelas for 19$ its double sided waterproof ring holds all of my jigs and plan on buying 2 more for spoons and jigging raps

Coreyhuberty
    Brainerd,MN

Do you by the small,medium, or large?

buzzer
    Garnavillo Iowa

This one in picture is large double sided holds all my panfish jigs in one box which I’m impressed so far

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

RyanK I have had a Rose Creek for a while and have never had problems with jigs falling out. You just have to make sure that the jigs are pushed all the way down in the clips.

travp
    Blaine , Mn

Quote:

RyanK I have had a Rose Creek for a while and have never had problems with jigs falling out. You just have to make sure that the jigs are pushed all the way down in the clips.

Size 14 and smaller fall out constantly. 12’s sometimes too.

bigpike

Rose creek will not work very well with anything that comes with plastic, like Pierced or Shrimpos for example. But if you stick to standard jigs like Marmooska’s or Flirty Girty’s you will be happy with it. The bulkiness of the plastic just wont fly with that box….

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Quote:

Quote:

With smaller jigs I’ve never had an issue either, though I tend to put them in the clips with the hook point up and the back of the jig at the back of the box. This allows more surface area of the hook to be covered, and more importantly for me it tends to display what I’ve got for color selections quite a bit better. I’ve got boxes of tiny jigs in the Rose Creeks that are in the same place they were last year and the year before…. The only issues I tend to have are with larger jigs, and that’s only because the smaller boxes interfere with jigs from the other leaf when closed. For those larger jigs, get the deep well box.

Foam, of many types and consistencies has been around for years. I like them for some flies, as it’s a pretty quick-secure method, but it definitely does not last as long. Also, with heavier small jigs, the gray memory-type foam tends not to hold them as secure as I’d prefer without burying it deep past the barb. I’ll be the first to admit however I’ve never tried using boxes that fit jigs between two pieces of foam, only the kind where you bury the actual hook into it.

To each their own! If you’re in the market for more than one, get one of each and make your own decision. I’ve had too many good experiences with the Rose Creeks, with smaller jigs and large alike, to completely dis-count their use.

Joel

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I guess I haven’t had that problem because I use the Clam Jig box for my smallest jigs.

MattJohnson
    Blaine, MN

Here’s a couple more points to hopefully shed the light on the Rose Creek boxes…

Every year the engineers designing these boxes tweak the Taper Lock system so it holds jigs tighter. I know they re-did a batch last year and made improvements on them. Rose Creek is coming up with a plan so that anyone who has an older box can pay a small fee and have the pads replaced with the new, tighter Taper Locks for holding jigs. I will try and let everyone know what that plan entails as the details get worked out. It will be a minimal fee to have all your old boxes changed over to the new and improved pads. Bottom line here, Rose Creek wants all of their customers to be happy.

Second big point with the Rose Creek boxes… How many of you knew that there is a right and wrong way to place a jig into the Rose Creek Jig Box? If you look closely at the pads there is a pitcture of a jig/fly and you want the hook direction to mimic that picture. The Taper Lock feature of the Rose Creek Jig Box is designed for a jig to be placed that particular way. The Taper Lock pads are actually tapered, and when you place a jig in the slot and slide it down slightly it will actually get tighter and hold those size 16 jigs. I’ve seen too many people put jigs in backwards or wrong when using these boxes. Then once the jig is even put in the right way a lot of people don’t realize they can slide the jig down for an even tighter fit.

I know Joel Nelson knows this trick and that is probably one of the reasons he hasn’t had any problems with his.

Unfortunately though, some of the initial versions of the Rose Creek Jig Box were not designed around size 14 and 16 hooks, so those are not going to work as well with the earlier models, but I do know that the most recent models are holding jigs of all sizes when placed correctly…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.