Early Ice Plans for 2011

• James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I’m curious if anyone has already put much thought into ice trips for first ice this winter? Three trips jump to my mind after a few minutes spent day dreaming.

1) St. Louis River Walleyes after T-day. Grant keeps telling me about a good bite. I’ve accepted his generous offer.

2) Somewhere South Dakota late November / very early December. The last couple years some friends of mine have made the trip to SD as soon as the ice hits 3″ and “safe” for walking. Their reports back on the walleye, crappie and perch bite looks very promising to say the least.

3) Grand Rapids, MN area panfish. So there’s this really amazing lake WAYYYY down a logging road on state land that nobody seems to know about. Except for Joel Nelson and I. Suffice it to say the panfish run BIG.

So, what’s everyone else thinking? Where will you venture out for the first time in 2011?

arklite881south

I actually forgot there were other options besides Rainy lake.

lhprop1
    Eagan

A buddy and I traditionally walk lightly on some of the smaller lakes around Otter Tail the day after Thanksgiving. There is always some puckering in the butt cheeks on only 3″ of ice, but the highest safety measures are always taken (life jacket, ropes, ice picks, spud bars. ONLY 39 DAYS UNTIL ICE FISHING!

This was taken a few years ago on about 2 1/2″.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

No “solid” plans but I’m planning on some Lake Pepin trips.

lhprop1
    Eagan

Quote:

No “solid” plans but I’m planning on some Lake Pepin trips.

You just can’t resist the walleyes, can you.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Rainy doesn’t get “early ice.” Or at least that’s what my contact on Rainy keeps telling me. But if you want to plan a late November ice trip… let me know and I’ll pack a wetsuit.

arklite881south

Quote:

Quote:

Rainy doesn’t get “early ice.” Or at least that’s what my contact on Rainy keeps telling me. But if you want to plan a late November ice trip… let me know.

Thanksgiving can be a bit “aggressive” up here no doubt!!

crossneyes
    central MN

Osakis area lakes are alway good during early ice! We head to L.O.W. as early as we can take 4 wheelers out over the island, (about 2nd wk of Dec.) Still think Nov. full moon is going to be the best fishing of the year. (in the boat)
    Jim

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

My early ice plans always involve my dog and a shotgun. I try to find pheasants on islands and back corners of public land that were impossible to reach without waders earlier in the season.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

If our early season is anything like last year I am going to be one happy camper! You can’t beat starting off the season with a 31.5 inch hog!

I am hoping for a week or two with 5 inches of ice out on lake superior for lake trout and camloops. That to me is tough to beat! Those trout fight like none other.

Lake Winnipeg does sound interesting too James

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

I too plan on being on the St louis right after thanksgiving!!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

Last week in March my brutha! Best late ice walleye bite I’ve ever seen and the guys I went with last year said the bite was “off” while we were there.

iacanoeguy
    Iowa - Franklin Co

I am usually the first “idiot” on the ice here in Iowa. I have been known to tie a rope to a tree on shore and then around my waist and head out. Last Dec I know I did about 2″. That was a bit scary, but fishing was good. I also have a chance to fish the big POND in MN in Dec, so I hope there is good ice by then.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

You got a picture of that beast from last year Grant?

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

I too plan on being on the St louis right after thanksgiving!!

You better be out there with me buddy! I need someone to share all the fun with! Hey shouldn’t you be studying right now? Lol.

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Last week in March my brutha! Best late ice walleye bite I’ve ever seen and the guys I went with last year said the bite was “off” while we were there.

Sign me up! I’ll be practicing all winter long! Me and shallow water walleyes are pretty familiar with eachother!

poppy402
    Eagle Point Wisconsin

Quote:

You got a picture of that beast from last year Grant?

I sure do mike! I’ll get it up when I get home. A fish that was a true brute, but definately not the brute of all brutes! Lol. Hopefully we will encounter her 32 to 33 inch sister Helga this winter!

bee
    Maine

I,m not waiting. I have the Vex on the boat and the fishig has been good.

Eric Pomplun
    janesville, wisconsin

i’ll be hiting mostly local stuff such as the mad chain but come christmas break we go up north to the cabin around minoqua to put the hammer down. my dad and i also found a lost gem back in the woods nobody fishes and the crappies are thick and usually willing to bite.

mroberts
    Nebraska

I wish I could get on the ice at Thanks giving time. We don’t get that luck in Nebraska. However I can’t wait for ice up.

Jake Hendrickson
    Inactive
    Madison, WI

Did my studying grant, now cant stop thinking about those 30″ fish you owe me!

deertracker

Considering I have numerous great walleye lakes within a few miles of my house, it’s hard to call them “trips”. But I have my eye on a few lakes around here. One in particular gave me the best early walleye action I have ever fished last year. I might start there.
    DT

broncosguy
    Blaine, MN

Quote:

I got some pretty reliable info on a 40 acre pond about 150 miles north of the metro that I plan on working over early ice. Bull gills and slabs will be the target.

well if you need someone to go with to make the drive go by faster let me know. I enjoy taking vacation days during the week (the wife does not like it though). and I have no problems getting up early and drviing then driving back that night also.

Broncs

hank-s.
    Pardeeville, WI 53954

We are planning a trip to Gogebic the first week of January. I have heard of the perch there but never experienced them. We are hoping for a good mid-early bite.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

Quote:

We are planning a trip to Gogebic the first week of January. I have heard of the perch there but never experienced them. We are hoping for a good mid-early bite.

Hank

The perch on that lake are amazing. I have very good friends that I fish with and trust that have been there and come back with pics of true #3 perch. The numbers aren’t crazy but the fish you do get… out of this world.

Have fun on that trip and if you get time… report back and let us know how you do.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

I’m thinking about hitting some old farm-ponds from my youth for first ice. These can be tricky, as most have flow of some sort. Targeting largemouths first ice can be a great time, especially when you get a pattern going. Bonus massive gills will take the same offerings as a good bass, so I’m looking forward to it!

Oh, and James and I have a few tricks up our sleeve, we’ll see what happens.

Joel

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

We just got back from Bitter Lake in South Dakota and are looking at going back for the hard water. Big Perch and Walleye were on the feed and it should only get better.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

James:

I was thinking about getting out on that spot that I showed IDO or FTR or whatever it was at the time, but couldn’t seem to find the thread even by googling it. We’ve been on the skinniest ice here as early as Nov. 9th, but its going to have to get really cold from now until then!!!

Gun deer season is usually the reasonable time to start here and it seems like I might not be able to get down to the river to duck hunt this year during Thanksgiving week, so it might just be an early ice trip!!! Too many lakes to choose to tell you where now…

Mark

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

Quote:

Quote:

Hank

The perch on that lake are amazing. I have very good friends that I fish with and trust that have been there and come back with pics of true #3 perch. The numbers aren’t crazy but the fish you do get… out of this world.

Have fun on that trip and if you get time… report back and let us know how you do.

Yep, absolutely spot on, the trouble with Gogebic is the lake effect snow that falls on it, it is a slush magnet!!! But with the lure of those impressive perch (17-18″ long) and a decent walleye population to boot, its hard not to consider!!!

I am still hoping to do a Mille Lacs like walleye trolling run up there this fall…

Mark

muskeye
    Duluth, Mn

I too will be traveling the shifting ice of the St. Louis River. Sounds like I’ll be in good company.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.