Fall Flasher Fishing/ Pics

• bee
    Maine

The fall bite is on and the Flasher makes it better and lots of fun. Hit a fall spot yesterday and Bam Bam Bam. I tried 2 rods but it worked better with 1. If you fish the fall crappie bite and havn,t tried using a flasher tour missing out.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Nice crappies.

I like to vertical jig right over the side to answer your question Ryan. The speed transducer for my LX-5 shows my jigs/targets while fishing panfish or walleyes when staying vertical without any troubles. Mike uses the trolling motor mounted transducer on his rig and loves it for seeing his jigs while staying vertical.

I have seen some people use a piece noodle (floating tube) used for swimming to float there transducers right over the side of the boat with success. They run the cord through the hollow noodle and tie off using zip ties.

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

PVC pipe with a slit across the top slid into a rod holder works as well……

lhprop1
    Eagan

So do you have to use an ice rod to keep your line close to the boat and inside the cone of the transducer?

That might be a good way to practice for ice fishing on those gawdawful July days.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

I have not used an ice rod but that would be fun
    It is important thought to keep yor jig under the transducer.

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

PVC pipe with a slit across the top slid into a rod holder works as well……

Great idea Erick, thanks for sharing that tid bit

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

OK…. leaving in a couple hours for pool 9, and chasing a few crappies for two days. Now I have something else to fit in the boat, looks like fun.

corey-studer

One thing I have done over the years is to use one of my musky rods and place into a rod holder. Once secured, place your rubber stopper that has a loop on it – attach to your Ice-Ducer cord, then simply put the loop on the second or third eye let of your musky rod and tilt your rod holder down until your Ducer is in the water. This helps keep your Ice-Ducer away from the boat and allows you to use your regular summer panfish rod. I’m sure you could a 2X2 or PVC to hang your ducer from as well. This system is best when your using 2 anchors to help keep your boat from moving and keeping your bait in the CONE or ZONE

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Quote:

use one of my musky rods

Or catfish rod?

Great tips!

bee
    Maine

I have a xducer mounted on the trolling motor. I use a 4 1/2 ft rod. 4lb test and tunsten jigs. I am using the same plastic bait i use for hard water. I watch my jig as best i can below the motor. calm weather is best. I slowly move along and when the flasher shows fish its game on. if windy and you know a good spot an anchor does good. it is fun to move about and search for them as they are not shy about showing themselfs. Just like ice fishing but only in a boat. Yopu can use the ice ducer and run it down the trolling motor shaft and use tape to secure it to the motor houseing. Let it hang loose enough so it will hang strait as in the ice hole. Be careful to keep the prop in mind. My Vex is wired to my battery and mounted on the boat. any temp mount will work along with the flasher battery. Open up the mind and try it.

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Does the speed transducer on your LX-5 work better than the ice ducer for open water situations?

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I have my vex mounted at my bow and my lowrance in the sonar mode offers a flasher, though I’ve not used it.

Mark

bret_clark
    Sparta, WI

Quote:

Does the speed transducer on your LX-5 work better than the ice ducer for open water situations?

The speed transducer is affixed to the back of the boat making my LX-5 a real time locator while I am running the river. And it does pick up small ice jigs just as well as the ice puck.

I believe what I see on my LX-5, my other cheap Eagle unit shows stuff in the water all the time

yahbuddy
    Holmen, WI

Thanks for the input. I will have to try that cause my cheap eagle does the same thing.

rouser

I love this type of fishing! I spent the majority of today fishing with the short rods and flasher while the boat was tied up to some timber. The fish weren’t as cooperative as we would have liked but still a lot of fun.

This pic is from last fall, November 11th to be exact

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.