Tip on building a fish house?

• fishingguy
    New Ulm, Mn.

Planning on building a fish house in the off season. I have the frame and a few ideas, but am looking for any advice, do’s and don’ts ect…?

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

What size and what lake?

fishingguy
    New Ulm, Mn.

I plan on building a 6.5 x 12. I have the frame already. I have a constuction back round so I have the concept of the framing, siding, roofing, ect.. Just looking for some tips on wiring it, bunks, and such. Some ideas that some have experienced. Picking the brains of those that have gone before me. Thanks for any help!

Fife
    Ramsey, MN

I have built one fish house and been in many more. For the bunchs, I would make the bottom bunch foldable. That way you can put a couple holes underneath it or just have the extra space for more people. A piece of canvas stretched between a metal frame makes a very nice bunch. For insulation, the spray in foam works very well. The inside of the house looks a little like a cave, but you don’t have to put any paneling on the inside of the house. There is a plastic paneling that is in many public bathrooms. It is white and waterproof. My friend put it in his house and it adds a lot of light and helps protect the wood inside from water. It is very easy to clean if you get a flopping fish also.

I am sure you will get many more interesting ideas and I will be waiting to hear more ideas too.

derek_johnston
    On the water- Minnesota

Well try to make it as light as possible. I would go with 2×2’s. Use a vented heater and if your going to use wood skids, use white oak. Also install some vents, one close to the ceiling and one close to the floor for good ventilation. And last, insulate the floor to help keep your feet warm.
    Good luck

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My buddy just used 1.5 or 2 inch foam for insulation and that works nice.

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

fishingguy:

For skids try 4″ or 6″ pvc tubing. Also have a friend who is looking at using the bedliner from a pickup truck as a base to put his shack on. Keep it light as Derek said and you might consider interlocking walls. I know guys had a hell of a time getting shacks off LBDN this spring.

Mark

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.