Ice Trek Fish Houses

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Considering one of these in the 6×10 and also buying a trailer to haul it. Idea here is I can get use out of the trailer the other 8-9 months of the year. House would stay on lake or get dragged out on the weekend from lake cabin. Anyone deal with these folks?

-J.

http://icetrekfishhouses.com/

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

I see them on craigslist all the time and I am curious about them. I wonder how durable dragging aluminum around would be over time though. IMO, I think that buying a good used wheelhouse would cost about as much or less, and has more applications with less hassle.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I had an aluminum skid house. It has a back buster. News flash to me! aluminum is still heavy!! The only good thing was it was easy to sell.

Back when we had a ton of snow I was sold on skid houses. Now I can’t remember the last time I could have even made use of a skid house. If I fished an area with a lot of ice heaves a skid house would be nice I guess.

For now I’m either fishing hard in a portable or hardly fishing in my luxury permanent. toast

jarrod holbrook

My striker suit really changed ice fishing. I have a pop up and a flip over. If you live on the lake, I can see looking at these… I just like to run and gun too much for me to get something that stationary. It’s also a different time in the world where no one has respect for others property. I would be really crazy mad if someone broke the lock and took a deuce in my $3500 shanty!

Fisherpaul

Never worked with them before but have seen the shacks in person. I thought they were pretty nice. I agree with the comment above. I’m not sure how long aluminum is going to last dragging on the ice. But they looked nice inside and out. I like you could customize them yourself also. I’m with Jarrod though. I like running around too much so it’s my ice suit and a portable if needed.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

JJ, I don’t know if it’s the same brand but Northland Auto (just NE of unclaimed freight) just North of Milaca sells some like that. My biggest concern would be that the crackheads grab it to scrap for the aluminum. Sad I know, but a valid concern I think. I suppose a guy can figure a way to anchor and chain it to the ice so they couldn’t just grab it.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

If I had a Lake place that is what I would have. waytogo

and seeing as how I only smoke crack recreationally whistling , I wouldn’t need the aluminum. So it would be a good fit for me.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

If I had a Lake place that is what I would have. waytogo

and seeing as how I only smoke crack recreationally whistling , I wouldn’t need the aluminum. So it would be a good fit for me.

LOLOLOL

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

Doubtful you’d wear out the aluminum runners. Most likely pretty thick material.

If I owned a cabin this is the type of fish house I’d own. Probably a 6 x 8. Perfect for 2 people.

chomps
    Sioux City IA

Because all crackheads look on the frozen lake for scrap aluminum.

BDD

I moved from a pop-up to an Ice Trek (6’x10′) skid house. I take off from my cabin onto the lake. I find it more mobile, very comfortable and a great base of operations. I am 6’5″ and there is plenty of room. I have a Mr. Heater mounted inside and usually do not use it full-time or crack the windows. The Skids are covered in High-Density Plastic (HSP) and very low friction. It will slide away on any incline. I pull it with a 700cc Artic Prowler easily over 20mph.

Attachments:
    1. FullSizeRender-1.jpg

mozy
    LQP

People keep mentioning mobility as a reason not to use one, but I would think a skid house would be much quicker to setup and tear down than a portable. Basically reel up, kick in the catch covers and go. Leave everything where it is. With a portable you need to put away your rods and tackle, pack up your heater, take the house down, and put on a cover so snow doesn’t cover your gear.

I’m building a skid house currently and one of the reasons I wanted one was the ease of moving around. Maybe I’m wrong.

Bass_attack

Very nice looking setup BDD

I think I am going to build one for next year. I have a mig welder and I just need a spool gun for aluminum. Frame will be 100% aluminum but I dont know what to use for sheeting on the exterior. What is the material on the ice treks. Aluminum sheet or fiberglass?

BDD

Bass-attack,
    It’s standard pre-painted siding. It is pretty common material. Spay expanding foam is directly applied inside and under the 3/4″ marine plywood floor.

It would be fun to be able to weld aluminum!

BDD

guthook1
    Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin

After helping remove a couple of houses from the ice last week, I offer these observations for your consideration. House 1 – Wheelhouse, hitched to truck and removed – time involved 10 minutes mostly maki8ng sure that anything inside was secured. House 2 Skid house cranked up on a flatbed tilting aluminum trailer with a hand crank come along – time involved 1+ hours. I suggest that if you are going to trailer your skid house you get a trailer that has a tilt bed and consider attaching a small electric winch that could be powered from the truck to pull the skid house on to the trailer.
    Bestfishes – jim

BDD

Jim, Was the skid house modern aluminum construction? Your experience seems excessively hard. I rarely trailer my aluminum skid house but it is very easy. Hand push off the trailer and easy loading on the trainer. Something is wrong if I spend more than 10 minutes.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Considering one of these in the 6×10 and also buying a trailer to haul it. Idea here is I can get use out of the trailer the other 8-9 months of the year. House would stay on lake or get dragged out on the weekend from lake cabin. Anyone deal with these folks?

-J.

http://icetrekfishhouses.com/

Jon –
    Did you ever pull the trigger? I’m thinking of picking one up this year. If we buy 2 we might be able to swing a deal.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

There is another company called “ice cave fish houses”. They are made in Hayward, WI. Don’t know anything about them other than seen them on the web.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.