Ice safety question

• Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

With 10″ of metro ice, I’m wondering if it would be safe to haul an aluminum 8×8 tilt trailer out by atv, with 4 guys and couple hundred pounds in gear added to the load.

Thoughts?

jsrevermann
    Central MN

Hey Brad, if you have 10-inches of ice you should be plenty safe with what you are talking about bringing out there.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

With 10″ of metro ice, I’m wondering if it would be safe to haul an aluminum 8×8 tilt trailer out by atv, with 4 guys and couple hundred pounds in gear added to the load.

Thoughts?

Plenty, especially if it’s below freezing. With above freezing temps, double your ice thickness.

You can drag that trailer on any ice you would with the atv. Say 6″ or so.

joe_the_fisher
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I would say you should be fine…my cousin use to try to always be the first guy out on the lake with a vehicle and he would take a suburban out on 6 inches…crazy MF if you ask me!!!

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

There were a couple full sized trucks out on centerville lake yesterday! only 8″ thats a little crazy for my liking but the ice seemed to be fine with it.

Nate Northup
    Madison, WI area

Holy cow on 8″ – that’s a little too rich of a gamble for me! I won’t drive out until about 15″. That’s me though, and I’m a chicken. I spose if the ice is really clear and solid without lots of air bubbles or snow-freeze, that really helps.

Nicholas Roy
    Maplewood, mn

yep im a 15-18 inch kind of guy myself, not worth the risk. But pulling your permanent with a 4 wheeler should be totally fine.

Timo i

You really need that much gear? Sorry but here once there is 7 plus cm of ice where fishin'(clear) ice. . . .that is but we do have on float jackets life vest etc.

Brad Anderson
    Minnesota

You really need that much gear?

A couple two man clams plus the little stuff brings you close to a couple hundred pounds.

desperado

with the kind of temps we’re having now, I drove a ford ranger on 10 inches of ice quite often
    but a suburban on six inches? Forrest Gump has a saying for that!

Timo i

Brad I’m not knockin on US style of icefishin I’m just sayin’ why soo much . . . .auger handcrank 4″ packpack w/ intergrated seat done and walk to spots

William h. hopper jr
    Conrad, montana

Hey I am here to say drilling through 2 feet of ice with a hand auger is not for me I would have died yesterday fishing and 4 inch is to small I like at least 8 inch auger and anything over 6 to 8 iches of ice is considered safe to drive on with a 4 wheel so with 10 you should be more than safe

IceAsylum
    Wisconsin Dells WI

I’m surprised at this point no one has stated there is no guaranteed safe ice. You have to know your comfort level. Your question is a good start. Also know the body of water your on, any springs or water flow. Also is there any spots that freeze up latter that water fowl may have been in moving around and slowing up the freezing process. By this time I’m sure you where already out and my guess is all went well, just remember you are responsible for your choices. Just because some one has a vehicle out there doesn’t nessasarly mean conditions are safe for that.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.