Ice Rod Case

• Walleye Hungry

Now that i am getting into purchasing higher end rods unlike the 20 dollar gander/cabelas combos, i am looking to get a hard sided case to hold and protect them better. I currently have a soft sided case but it just jams them all together. I like the otter hard case but can not justify spending 100 until i have more rods. What good options are out there that are durable or that you dislike/avoid. I was thinking about saving some money and just getting the rifle case below. What do you think?

https://www.amazon.com/Plano-Rimfire-Sporting-Black-Large/dp/B00KJNIY24/ref=pd_sim_200_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00KJNIY24&pd_rd_r=7GJF6ADKA5M8DBA78RWS&pd_rd_w=LU1mn&pd_rd_wg=LM63Q&psc=1&refRID=7GJF6ADKA5M8DBA78RWS

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

You can get the Otter or save some money and buy a gun case. Those are the two main options. Others will chime is with other brands I am not familiar with. Search should also bring up some other discussions. Nothing worse than a soft rod case that can break your rods if you grab it wrong.
    I bought an Otter several years ago and its perfect for me. Throw it around, no problem. Although I must break the reel handles down. There are others out there you do not have to do that.
    That case you show looks pretty sweet for $20.

Brady Valberg

I have pretty much the same gun case u have in the link…works well I have a 30″ bullwhip a 26 meatstuck and a 32 st criox…if u have shorter rods like 28s u can get 4 in there w the longer one I only put 3 in to be safe. U do have to collapse the reel handles but I’ll take that 5 seconds over storin rods in a bucket or softcase and breaking a tip

ozzyky
    On water

I have 2 Plano plastic double gun cases. Works great 4 rods easy can do 6. I glued the foam down and do have to break the reel handles down.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

The only reason not to go Otter is if you’re trying save a few $$. They are more expensive than most for a good reason… They are bulletproof.

Will

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Instead of buying a gun case to put my ice rods in I actually wish that Otter would build a case big enough for my guns.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

I would hate folding up the handles each time. I move around too much for that.

belletaine
    Nevis, MN

I bought a Otter case a few years ago at Joe’s. It was right after ice season and marked down. Impulse buy but I love it.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

The Eagle Claw ice rod case will hold 4 with handles deployed and 2 with handles folded down. All six combo deployed if you have two of them handles on the opposite side. Or you have long rear grip handles on two your rods so you can offset it so the reel handles aren’t all jammed onto the other reel.

Walleye Hungry

yeah my cousin has that eagle claw case and i didnt like it at all. its too wide to fit nicely in my sled with everything else

Walleye Hungry

yeah my cousin has that eagle claw case and i didnt like it at all. its too tall to fit nicely in my sled with everything else

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ben wrote:</div>
    I really like this Plano gun case. Goes down to $50 if you watch for the deal. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E221A88/ 6 rods and don’t have to fold down any handles.

Agreed. I use the 42” version. Way better case than the otter, hands down.

The tactical case has too many clasps IMO. I sold mine. I have an eagle claw, ice innovations and otter. I use a pair of Lakewood pole caddies for 80% of my fishing. It’s not a hard side case.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.