Ice out and walleyes

• TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

The second a so called scientist calls a walleye a baby walleye I stop listening.

Mille Lacs Walleye population is on the decline according to the DNR…sure.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Early Ice Outs are allowing the tribes to start netting earlier and net longer. There needs to be a specific number of days after ice out that netting is allowed!

-J.

big_g
    Isle, MN

Subtle mention… Mille Lacs was not part of the study…. ? WTF, a story about Mille Lacs, siting other lake studies ??? Yeah, baby walleye is a nice touch too… kind of making them like bambi.

Deuces

Mille lacs is very triggering for folks, goes to show your average Joe MN’n could really care less of the situation.

It’s a study folks, it’s a study who’s main theory has been spoken about plenty here the last several years. Quit tying everything walleye management to a singular lake. There’s plenty here who’s seen great walleye year classes come out of lesser known bodies of water bc of late ice outs. This is something the dnr will need to keep track of going forward in managing ALL of our lakes, and thus was pointed out in this short program.

Arrogant comes to mind thinking that natural scientists don’t have a better term for baby walleyes. Of course they do, when speaking to the general public in a very short news segment one simply cannot get into all the terms and science, lay down the general idea in general terms to get the point across. They did just that.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Early Ice Outs are allowing the tribes to start netting earlier and net longer. There needs to be a specific number of days after ice out that netting is allowed!

-J.

Agreed.

Although there will be variability with ice out from year to year, on average, its occuring earlier, and forming later. Looking at one single ice out point does not represent data as a whole (like this past spring). There’s examples of very late ice outs in recent memory too.

I find it very interesting that given the mildest winter on record here in my lifetime in terms of snow and cold, combined with an early ice out, water temps remained relatively cool since about a week ago. July was astonishingly cooler than normal. I thought we were heading for the hottest, driest, smoke-filled spring and summer on record. The pattern shifted massively in late March.

big_g
    Isle, MN

The story starts out.. “one of the the best natural reproducing walleye lakes in the country… yes, I would suggest any “study” used for scientific reasons for Mille Lacs, should be done on Mille Lacs. Really, you are triggered by it ? tongue

Gregg Gunter

Thanks Deuces, I appreciate your input. I was interested in the fact that ice out is trending earlier by one day a decade. That’s nearly a week in my lifetime. I’m wondering how that impacts fish opener as time goes on, and if it will have to be earlier at some point. As the study pointed out, there are many changes happening which have to be taken into consideration. And 175-180 of the lakes are in Wisconsin so their particular region has to be taken as a variable.
    PS: I purposely didn’t post this in the Mille Lacs drama.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Chances are if you don’t know a “baby fish” is a fry – you’re not watching or paying attention to the rest of the segment…

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

Chances are if you don’t know a “baby fish” is a fry – you’re not watching or paying attention to the rest of the segment…

But I watched another video where a person said a 9″ perch was a baby fish. So, which one is correct?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.