Ice Line for a deadstick?

• Eric Roz

Hello all,
    I am looking at getting some line for my Frabill Bro 32″ ML, which will be used as a deadstick. I will be mainly targeting eater sized walleye (13-19″) with a chance at a decent sized walleye (24-28″). Where I live the ice can get over 3′ thick, and the rod will be mainly used inside a heated shack, so freezing is not a problem. In the past I have used Powerpro Icetek 10lb test for my jigging rod and have really liked it (sensitivity, no stretch, can rip ice off without worrying about damaging line). Would using mono for the deadstick help increase hook up ratio/keep fish pinned better? What brand/type of line would you recommend, along with pound test (8lb)? Thanks!

Cameron white

I use trilene xl on my jt snare. No issues on greenbacks.

curleytail

I’d say Trilene xl or any decent name brand mono in 6 or 8 lb should suit your needs just fine. I don’t think there’s a need to go with braid unless maybe you’re regularly fishing 30 feet deep. Even a 28 inch eye should be no problem on 6 or 8 lb mono and the little give it has might help keep a fish hooked up during head shakes.

Coletrain27

Last year I used trilene xl 6lb on all my rods at lotw 30+ FOW. Never had any issues and never had a break off. This year I’m going to try some PowerPro 5lb braid on a few rods and see if I notice any difference with hooking up.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Lots of great choices for lines.

P-line Floroclear is a great all around line and readily available too.

For pure strength I would go with Stroft GTM. a 4# test that breaks at almost 11#.

Karry Kyllo

I like 6lb. or 8lb. Suffix 832 on my dead rods.

B-man

I’ve never had a walleye break 4lb mono through the ice. It’s all I use.

Better action, less visible, less memory, etc

Me likey regular Suffix Elite waytogo

tucrs
    NW Metro

I switched to Suffix Ice Floro 5lb last year really liked it for using with a TUCR deadstick a 500 Ceymar.

John

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Mono definitely, my deadstick will see use inside as well as out so freezing needs to be considered.

I’ve used a several of the “ice” lines. Since I also use this rod for crappies 4# is my choice. To date it’s still worked quite well on walleyes if the drag is set right.

I run the P line flouroclear on all my other rods. big fan of that too

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I’ve had great luck with 6lb. Trilene XL, but will be buying a spool on the ice version of Suffix Advance to try this year.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Clam Frost 6 lb. Was pleasantly surprised how durable it is.

tucrs
    NW Metro

That was some impressive line honestly. I heard it is sunline though?

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

That was some impressive line honestly. I heard it is sunline though?

Correct. It’s produced for Clam by Sunline. Designed with both Clam and Sunline people involved. They are adding a hi vis gold/yellow to the lineup this year too.

Attachments:
    1. 056F0E61-174D-494E-A76E-0CB5D5C3E5E4.png

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.