Ice Helix 7 Durability (Need Help)

• Jack K

So I have a helix 7 in my boat as we speak. Thinking about getting the case to turn it into an ice graph. However, I’m skeptical because, being an expensive graph, I don’t want to beat it up and possibly break it ice fishing… I will use it in my boat during the summers as well. I guess my question is, does the case do a good job of protecting it? Does anyone use the helix 7 for both open and hardwater and have any problems? Thanks!
    Jack

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I use the Helix 7 both on the ice and on the boat. No issues with it “getting beat-up”. Mine is in a Hummingbird case which protects it nicely.

If you are hauling it out in a portable shack being pulled behind a snowmobile or atv they will bounce around some. Lots of folks have a milk crate or something similar on the snowmobile or atv so the shock from the machine can absorb some of the bouncing.

Go for it and enjoy your Helix 7. It is a very nice ice fishing depth finder.

Coletrain27

The hummingbird case is pretty nice for protection. You could always get another cover for the screen for extra protection if your worried. When I use mine ice fishing I always put it in a 5 gallon pail when traveling with a lid that I use for my chair.

milemark_714

If anything,protect the transducer from getting knocked around.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

I have been using the Helix 7 from my boat on the ice for one and half seasons now. I have had no problems. It has been through many snowmobile runs and bitter cold. I was most worried about it being out in the cold (still am sort of) but I haven’t noticed any issues from it.

Jack K

Thanks guys, this helps a lot!

BLW500

I’ve been using a Helix 7 for ice fishing for a few seasons now and at first I was very careful about how I packed it and how I handled it. I’ve been far less careful about how I pack it now and it’s been in some rough spots on the sled a couple of times. No issues so far.

Ice Cap

I handle mine pretty carefully as a general rule. It’s a expensive piece of equipment so I don’t just throw it around. I put it on my passenger seat in the truck when driving out or off of the ice so I can follow my gps track out to my house. And yes I have gotten off on the wrong goat path a time or two coming on or off the ice which is why I always leave a gps track now.

Anyhow it has fallen off the seat onto the floor once or twice without any damage or ill effects.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.