Ice Flies

• bassh8er

Looking to try these for the first time this year.

Any tips on rigging? Do you guys fish these one or always with on a dropper? To be honest, I’m not sure how to rig a dropper so any pics or links would be great?

I see the value in a really tiny fly but am having trouble seeing how to get it down since they are so tiny.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Are you referring to a “fly” fly or one of those new tungsten flies. The tungsten flies don’t need any help getting down. A regular fly though works well if you use a jigging lure, like a jigging demon, with the treble hook removed and a short length of light mono tied in the bottom ring and the fly tied to the tag end…..sort of like a dropper rig used for perch.

The fly technique has been around for quite a while and those who have used it with success in the past might even be tight lipped about it because it is a successful way to fish. Both panfish and crappies will feed on water-borne insect life and small flies on a dropper are something the fish don’t see often and certainly look like a tasty morsel. One of the keys to fishing these rigs with flies is to keep the action to a minimum. If anything, just tap the rod shaft with your index finger lightly and the hackles on the fly will bounce in a tantalizing way that makes fish hit.

bassh8er

I’ve seen the ones with the bead heads and understand they would sink much like a regular jig.

I’m more interested in how to present the really tiny wet flies and pupa imitations that would sink very slowly through the water if extra weight was not added.

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

On those use the dropper rig I describe in my other post.

sidescan

On the the light nymphs I get them down using a small barrel swivelthen tie on a short flouro leader. I am using on 6 lb. braid as mainline. Never have needed to add a small split shot above the swival but u can if u want a faster drop. Fish safe.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I run a ‘fly’ above a typical big spoon for crappies etc. Great for searching, and also has a tendency to catch that oddball sunfish or perch when all you’ve been catching is crappies.

I just tie a Palomar knot with a long tag end to a fas snap with whatever spoon/jig of the occasion.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I might as well add that I’ll replace that ‘fly with a hook and plastic too.

Only problem with running two baits, is catching the top bait on the ice when your reeling in a fish caught on the bottom bait. Hole size and awareness helps but it’ll catch and you’ll lose one from time to time

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

I recommended that you tie your own. Its a fun hobby and you can customize them the way you see fit. Try a simple buck tail jig with a 1/32 oz to 1/8 oz for crappies and walleyes. Then if you want to get crazy tie a freshwater shrimp, also I tie a wicked worm it looks like a spike or a waxworm I am out now but I will tie one soon and post it. Coming up flies is fun and a very cool way to trick a fish.

sidescan

I also tie my own. Catch large Brown and Rainbow’s on the fly rod with these small nymphs then use them on my ice rigs in winter for Perch and the odd walleye and in stocked trout lakes.Chironomid larve, red bloodworms, scuds, freshwater shrimp, water boatmen, baby damsel fly’s and many more will all work at one time or another, they are on their diet at one time or another over the course of the season. Fish safe

Attachments:
    1. ice-flies-015.jpg

2. ice-flies-010.jpg

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

very nice ties I like them a lot.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.