Ice Fishing Reels

• Hunter Blowers

Hi guys,

Just ordered a couple new Tuned Up Custom ice fishing rods. Now I just need a coouple quality reels that aren’t going to break the bank. I’ve heard good things about the Shimano Sedonas FD. Anyone use these? If so what size? The 500? Would I need a bigger reel than a 500? Also would these work for walleye reels, I usually fish Red and LOTW. Thanks for help, and looking forward to hearing other suggestions/opinions.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Shimano Sedona 500 Is a GREAT reel for most all species !

I use 5 of them and love them ! waytogo

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Quantum Hot Sauce is the best for winter lube on your reels, regardless of which brand

icenutz
    Aniwa, WI

Quantum Hot Sauce is the best for winter lube on your reels, regardless of which brand

X2, The Sedona is a great reel.

gonehunting

Somewhere on one of these forums they had suggested that Shimano is no longer making the Sedona 500 FD. Would have to check to verify but it was stated that they are no longer listed on the website. Get them while you can if that is the case. I picked one up last week at Scheels.

gonehunting

As of this morning I don’t see any Sedona reels on the Shimano website other than the Sedona FE. No Shimano FDs. Please correct me if I am wrong.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

I’ve had good luck with the Shimano Sienna for $30

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

I’ve had good luck with the Shimano Sienna for $30

I use these and they work great for panfish. But the quality of the drag is lacking for bigger eyes in my opinion.

FDR

tucrs
    NW Metro

Sedonas….. tearing up are gone in the 500 size…

deertracker

They are all over ebay. The average price on new ones is $60 shipped.
    DT

FRS

Hard for me to comprehend someone spending $100 on a rod and then $25 on a reel. Like buying a Corvette and going to WallyWorld and buying some Maypop tires. DUH.
    Shimano Stradic or C14.

Cameron white

I cleaned out Glenn’s in Grand Rapids of the Tica 500 reels they had for 19.99. Awesome reel without breaking the bank. He had 23, took them all for my guys I fish with. Great reel for the money.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

For ice fishing, I never spend more money than the Sahara or symmetry.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

For ice fishing, I never spend more money than the Sahara or symmetry.

The only thing I dislike about the Symmetry is the back reel switch. Way to small and difficult to get to when fighting a fish.

FDR

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Hard for me to comprehend someone spending $100 on a rod and then $25 on a reel. Like buying a Corvette and going to WallyWorld and buying some Maypop tires. DUH.
    Shimano Stradic or C14.

LOL, it’s all about enjoy your time on the ice. I used $200 reel on a $20 rod. I scratch myself on the head on that price difference.

Heard those Sahara and Symmetre are getting a price hike +$20. So $80 and $100 respectively.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Around here they have been 79 and 99 for a couple of years unless you find a deal.

Cameron white

In my mind, your buying the drag in an ice fishing reel. Shimano has a nice drag, Tica is just as smooth. If you fish open water too, I could see investing in better quality reels for summer use as well.

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

I agree, I always spend more money on summer reels, more line to manage, much more demands on the reels, I know guys have swapped in the carbon drag discs in the sienas, I’m sure if you search, you will find it.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

symmetre1

president 1

symmetre2

president 2

There is a thing about line management on the spool of the reel as well to consider. While all open face reels basically share the same function, the performance varies.

The bail arm design and line roller placement has small changes that can affect the line management. That and the spool oscillation along with gear ratio, to even the spool placement on the drive shaft.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

I use eagle claw inlines on my panfish rods. Love em. I have a couple sienna 500s I use on my perch and dead stick rods. I just picked up 2 Daiwa legalis 1500s ($60) to use on my summer jigging rods and love them. Plan to put them to use this winter on my heavier walleye and pike/trout rods this winter.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Also, just looked, Cabela’s has sedona 500s on sale for $50 right now. May need to grab a couple if they are going out of production…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.