Ice Fishing Combo

• Tyler Maley

Looking to invest in a new ice tool this season. Looking to spend around 50-75 on a combo that has a finess tip into a strong backbone. Any suggestions? Thanks!

dbright
    Cambridge

The frabil quick tip has been my go to panfish rod for a few years now. I have always used the 27″ but I do plan on picking up one of their longer rods this year.

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

13 fishing makes really good combos for 50-60 bucks. I have the 27 inch UL wicked for pannies and a 27 inch Medium whiteout for walleyes and love both rods. I would imagine the Jason Mitchell meat stick is probably a good combo in that price range too though I have never used one.

mozy
    LQP

I’ve used Jason Mitchell Meatsticks in the past. It’s a good rod for the money, you just have to be extremely careful with the tip as they are fragile.

patk
    Nisswa, MN

I’ve used Jason Mitchell Meatsticks in the past. It’s a good rod for the money, you just have to be extremely careful with the tip as they are fragile.

x2 on the Meatstick – I don’t leave home without it. Sometimes it gets double use as a deadstick for walleye too.

@Tyler
    That said, not sure what you meant by “finesse tip”. Finesse could be anywhere from sensitive to full noodle. Also, what species or lure weights would this combo cover?

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Another vote for 13.

Tyler Maley

I like to have somewhat of a noodle tip to see the bite on those hard days and into a backbone. I am not a huge fan of spring bobbers. TCR has nice blanks but they are $100 a hit. Does the meatstick have a real light tip?

Phil S.

I have a “few” combos, I have the white out medium and absolutely love it pretty sensitive tip and strong back bone for cranking that hook set! Also lower profile so it feels much nicer cradled between the thumb and index finger. I paid just a little over $50 at scheels for it.I also have the Abu Garcia combo white with black eyelets almost looks like a full rod just shrunk down bouncy tip and can really crank on this thing back bone is great. The last two are a flurry slim profile great reel and very nice rod can see the tip go berserker when you have a finicky fish. Also I bought the trick stick walleye combo from northland tackle.. Reel isn’t horrible but the rod is great! If your looking for a tip like a spring bobber it’s going to be hard to find in a a combo might have to suck it up and buy separate But check them out its all on what works for you! Happy fishing!

Joe Thody
    Auburn, NE

+1 for 13 combos. I have several. My favorite is a 23″UL wicked with a Black Betty 6061.

Kent Tau

DH aldente 30″ is my favorite.

Brennon Nielson

out of the price range but i just received my TUCR Bullwhip and i am so impressed!! a super light visual tip that transitions into a solid backbone at about the 3rd eyelit. amazing rod if you can squeeze it in the budget

Justin Phillips
    Bloomer, WI

Glad to see so much love for the 13’s. They make great combos if you’re on a budget

Ryan Crane

I used 13fish lady year and loved them.
    But i broke 2.

Now before i start a war here is why.
    The first one i was fishing crappies and hooked a 30″ northern. Yes i got the fish however the rod broke. Oh should mention it was an ultra lite lol.
    2nd one never fished trout before and once again using an ultra lite i hooked a 17 1/2″ rainbow and the fight was on. Broke that one too.
    I can honestly say don’t know if the gander specials could have held up in the ultra lite class lol

wiel0059

In that price range, my vote would be 13 Fishing Tickle Stick with the no 8 CGI inline reel. Retail thats about $85, but if you look around right now you can easily get it under $75.

Now that I’ve used the flat tip rods from 13 fishing, I will not use a spring bobber because the flat tip acts as one, and its even easier for me to see the ‘negative’ bites. I actually got out on the ice on Sunday for the first time an used the new widow maker’s I bought a few months back. It was a very light panfish bite (I was catching small fish 5″ bluegills mainly, but I was just happy to be on ice!) and I was blown away by the rods. I then caught a 19″ bass and it handled that like a champ too (using the 27″ UL).

If you’re looking to stay under $50, then I’m with others, I’d go UL Wicked and slap an inline of your choice on it. If you like spinning reels, get the Wicked Long Stem combo – I love the long handle on those spinning reels…

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Does the meatstick have a real light tip?

Very light and high viz. I don’t do spring bobbers, as I prefer this. I’ve even picked off crappie when they feed “up” the water column.

You’ll need to see one in person to find out if you like it or not. Sorry, I have no experience with the 13 rods to make a comparison.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Your best bet is the ice show this weekend. You can try and buy a lot of stuff.
    Except the ones that are all on back order because they are supposedly the best thing out there……

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.