Ice fishing ATV – Polaris Sportsman – yay/nay/alternative?

• Steve Hix
    Dysart, Iowa

sticker,setter. big g and me! I have owned 3 Polaris through the years. Current one is a 2013 550 sportsman efi with power steering. Other than wearing out some tires I have never had a problem.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Count me in there too. I went from a 91 trail boss to a 13 sportsman. No troubles.

Bigwalleye30
    MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bigwalleye30 wrote:</div>
    If you’re strictly going to be using it for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing the 450 will be more than enough. If I remember right they are a 499cc engine, so they are basically like the older 500’s. That’s what I have an it works great for pulling around the portable and the ice castle. Not as much power as the 570’s when trail riding, but that’s maybe once a year for me.

17′ and 18′ 450’s are a completely new, 100% re-designed prostar 500. The 16′ 450 houses a de-tuned 570 motor.

I was more meaning people see “Sportsman 450” and think its a 450cc engine when its not. Makes no sense why Polaris named it that.

Kris Berg

Is your budget of $8,000 for just the ATV, or is it for the ATV, Trailer, and Otter Lodge?

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

The budget is for the ATV only.

I just got the Otter XT Pro Lodge with Hyfax from Thorne Bros yesterday on sale. Last one they had. The 14′ enclosed trailer will be about $3,000 new, but I’m going to hunting for a used one all summer because I’m sure there are plenty out there.

Jake
    Western WI

I’m another “lucky” Polaris owner. 2008 800 EFI. I wouldn’t trade it for anything else, except a new XP.

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Bass,

Especially if you’re primarily planning to use this for an ice fishing machine don’t let people convince you that you need too big or fancy… I personally prefer a small light ATV over the larger ones for fishing and hunting activities. I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 350 and a 2003 Honda Foreman. They are both old school with carburetors and no bells and whistles but I’ve owned the Rancher now for almost 15 years and the Foreman for 6 years and only work I’ve put into them are tires, rear wheel bearings, and yearly oil changes and I only spent a couple thousand $$ for each of them used.

Will

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

Thanks again for the tips, guys. I didn’t think this thread would take off like this.

Will, I was also wondering if the bells and whistles will be necessary for an ice fishing ATV. I’ve never owned an ATV before. I’m not sure if the use will be limited to fishing. It’ll start like that, but who knows?

I do know I’ve wasted a lot of money on fishing, boating, car and home audio, and other technical gear that I tried to skimp on and just ended up replacing later with nicer stuff that I should have got in the first place. I’m taking that into account.

I’m a little concerned with going with used ATVs from strangers. I don’t want somebody else’s junk that’s soon to need repairs, and that’s why they’re selling it. I think we’ve all been tempted to do that at one time or another.

Jim Kosinski

I would get the biggest cc engine you can afford, when the snow gets deep you will not regret your decision

404 ERROR
    MN

Bass,
    I have a 2001 Honda Rancher 350

Will

Funny you mention that, I have the same exact machine. It works well for ice fishing and I can say it’s been completely bulletproof. Almost 6,000 hard miles and it’s only had 2 new batteries and a new carb. I’m still on the factory tires, which are obviously bald, but since It’s only for ice fishing, chains keep them running. Used it at the IDO GTG this weekend and it performed flawlessly. Not a speed demon by any means, but it just keeps chugging.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.