Ice fishing advice

• Hugo Despres

How would you fish this piece of structure? Anytime from dusk till dawn. White is around 25-30 FOW and the first step of blue is 14-18 FOW.

Attachments:
    1. structures-1.jpg

2. PicsArt_01-27-08.23.56.png

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I’d start at the N in “point”and auger a nice pizza wedge from 6-8 o’clock to the whole in white.

I’d also hit that sunken island around 8:45 from “long point” towards the other break.

catmando
    wis

You have that small hump on the left side, by that extension of the point on the left side, I like that area. it has deep water plus shallow a shelf

B-man

Assuming you’re after walleyes?

Is there any weeds in the area?

If there is a good weedline I’d do some scouting with a camera and find the edges of the weeds where it transitions to rock/sand/mud during low light. Depending on the lake it could be 5′ deep or 15′ (generally).

During the day I would try by the two “R’s”, find the deep edge of the rocks where it transitions to mud.

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Well depends when you fish it. Drill shallow to deep off both sides of the point like Bob said. Fish have been hanging deeper with the cold weather. 23-30 or so is what I’ve been seeing. Still worth it to check the weed edge though. Utilize a tip up and set it shallower then bounce around deeper. If you want to set a house up, I’d fish till you pull one up or at least have a decent mark come in.

I’ve learned a lot about walleyes since I made this video 2 years ago, but check it out for some tips on locating mid winter walleye!

Hugo Despres

And how far would you soace your holes from one to another? 50 feet?

catmando
    wis

think depth, not a distance from hole to hole

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

It all depends, how deep are you? In 20 feet of water, you’re reading roughly 6.5 feet of water at the bottom. So if you’re in a tight piece of structure, in 20 to 30 feet of water, I drill only about 5 paces apart. This let’s me see all the depth changes and be able to target most of the depths. If I’m on a basin searching for crappies, my holes are much further apart and I’ll utalize the transducer swing to help search for roaming fish.

FYI, if you’re running a Marcum on a 20 degree transducer you can figure out how much bottom you’re reading fairly simply by just taking 1/3 of the depth. So in 10 feet you’re only reading about 3.3 feet of bottom. You vexilar guys have to an equation to figure yours out! 1/2 of the cone angle x tan (depth of water) x 2

So vex guys for a standard 12 degree in 20 feet of water it’d be

6tan(20)2=4.4 feet of bottom in 20 feet of water (roughly a quarter of the depth)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.